BWV: walking time to MGM? / Epcot?

MECH8T7

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone.

Been starting to think more about DVC. (Probably should have attended a presentation during one of our two recent trips to WDW!) Anyways, thinking about buying in now sight unseen.

This board has been a great help and I think we are now leaning towards BWV.

I have a sense of how close a walk BCV is to Epcot, I figure about 10 minutes. Am I correct BWV is about the same distance or maybe a few minutes further away from Epcot?

How about the time it would take to walk to MGM from BWV? Where does the path lead you to in relation to the main entrance at MGM...I'm having difficulty picturing it?

TIA

MECH8T7 said:
Hello everyone.

Been starting to think more about DVC. (Probably should have attended a presentation during one of our two recent trips to WDW!) Anyways, thinking about buying in now sight unseen.

This board has been a great help and I think we are now leaning towards BWV.

I have a sense of how close a walk BCV is to Epcot, I figure about 10 minutes. Am I correct BWV is about the same distance or maybe a few minutes further away from Epcot?

How about the time it would take to walk to MGM from BWV? Where does the path lead you to in relation to the main entrance at MGM...I'm having difficulty picturing it?

TIA

It really depends on where your room is. BWV is about 5 minutes futher than the BCV, but some of the rooms are further away than that. As far as the studios, I would say at least 15-20 minutes from the closest rooms. The one thing I do not like about the Epcot Resort Area is the transportation options. The resorts themselves are wonderful, but they are only conveniently located to World Showcase, IMO. You still have a long walk to Future World and the Studios. You can take a nice boat ride as long as you aren't in a rush. The boats are very slow and the buses are often very crowded since they usually serve BWI, BWV, BC, BCV, YC, Dolphin, Swan. That's 5 stops at 7 different resorts, making for a lot of people.

I respectfully disagree with the above poster. I rather enjoy the walk between either resort and either park. I don't mind starting my Epcot adventure at any day in World Showcase, I just don't see that as an issue--but thats me. I don't mind walking. I also can get to MGM from BWV in less than 15-20. Now I will admit that is rather brisk walking. The path takes you right up the the resort bus drop off area.

I also think that it really depends on where your room is located. Some people don't like the long hallways in Boardwalk and I don't mind them ( usually :lmao: )but if your all the way at the end of the hall near tennis courts, I think its only a tiny bit more of walk to MGM than Epcot.

:teeth:

From the front steps outside the BWV lobby, it's 0.66 miles to MGM, or 0.36 miles to Epcot International Gateway.

From the furthest room at BWV, if one goes out the back exit, it's 0.55 miles to MGM and 0.47 miles to Epcot' IG.

These are from measurements I did 5 years ago and did a series of posts titled "Pathways Revealed". You can link to one of them here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40624

Formatting within the posts is no longer correct as the DISboards no longer recognize HTML code, and all the photo links are gone as the DISboard no longer hosts web pages, as well as the links to some of the theme parks don't work any longer. But you can still get some basic information about DVC pathways if you read between the lines. For example, the walk around the Epcot resorts lake is 0.79 miles.

I don't have measurements for BCV yet, but you can use the intermediate distances around the lake to make some rough guesses. One of these days I hope to update all those reports, and republish.... :surfweb:

A brisk walk is about 3 mph, a normal walk is about 2.5 mph, and a kids' pace walk would be about 2 mph. Thus, using these numbers:.....

Mathematically, from the front steps of BWV to MGM, at a brisk pace is about 13 minutes, at a normal walk about 16 minutes, and at a kids pace, about 20 minutes.

From BWV front entrance to Epcot's I.G., it's 8-1/2 minutes normal, just over 7 minutes brisk, or 11 minutes at kids pace. (Plus you need to add whatever time it takes to get from your room to the front entrance).

Boy, it's so much fun being a geek (Retired Engineer).... :teacher:

Oh, boy, it's Friday, and Numb3rs is on tonight!!!!!

Thurs 3/30 I wasnt feeling well so ended up taking 1/2 of my tenderloin salad from LeCellier back to our BWV studio. Gave friend an hour to shop and we were to meet in France. Well on the way over I saw that Off Kilter was getting ready to start. Of course I had to stay to listen. That gave me 1/2hr to get to BWV and back to France. It took me exactly 20mins to put that salad in the fridge. I still made it to France before my friend and actually backtracked down to Canada to meet her.

The walks are great and short. My 5 and 3 year olds walked from MGM back to the BWV with out a whimper. If they can do it anybody can. We did use the boats as well. A couple of the days we actually took our time walked into Epcot and got on the monorail to meet friends at the MK. It almost seemed like that took just as long as a bus ride.
Brownie

Diane....but we love to answer the questions that WE would have asked !!!

Here goes...
Yes, BWV is a few minutes longer walk from EPCOT than BCV but not really much..and it depends where in BWV (and BCV) you are staying.

BWV path takes you to the main entrance of MGM (eventually). It's a shorter walk than that from BCV.

Then....my answers....everyone is thinking how long to GET there. We always also consider how long to GET BACK. After Illuminations it's great to walk right back to the resort instead of all the way back through Future World and then to stand in a long bus line ! This is especially true during the wonderful weeks of F&W...

Caskbill said:
Snip.....

And THAT is why we appreciate you!!! :thumbsup2

Caskbill said:
From the front steps outside the BWV lobby, it's 0.66 miles to MGM, or 0.36 miles to Epcot International Gateway.

From the furthest room at BWV, if one goes out the back exit, it's 0.55 miles to MGM and 0.47 miles to Epcot' IG.

These are from measurements I did 5 years ago and did a series of posts titled "Pathways Revealed". You can link to one of them here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40624

Formatting within the posts is no longer correct as the DISboards no longer recognize HTML code, and all the photo links are gone as the DISboard no longer hosts web pages, as well as the links to some of the theme parks don't work any longer. But you can still get some basic information about DVC pathways if you read between the lines. For example, the walk around the Epcot resorts lake is 0.79 miles.

I don't have measurements for BCV yet, but you can use the intermediate distances around the lake to make some rough guesses. One of these days I hope to update all those reports, and republish.... :surfweb:

A brisk walk is about 3 mph, a normal walk is about 2.5 mph, and a kids' pace walk would be about 2 mph. Thus, using these numbers:.....

Mathematically, from the front steps of BWV to MGM, at a brisk pace is about 13 minutes, at a normal walk about 16 minutes, and at a kids pace, about 20 minutes.

From BWV front entrance to Epcot's I.G., it's 8-1/2 minutes normal, just over 7 minutes brisk, or 11 minutes at kids pace. (Plus you need to add whatever time it takes to get from your room to the front entrance).

Oh, boy, it's Friday, and Numb3rs is on tonight!!!!!

:thumbsup2

Gotta say thanks!! I love it putting it this way is definately straight forward, non opinionated!!

btw, have you read the Dear Abby column that included the poem "Marry not an engineer?" Completely hysterical, and I know of it as my engineer dh gave it to me before he proposed 25years ago - he wanted to make sure I knew what I was in for!! lol

GrimGhost said:
I respectfully disagree with the above poster. I rather enjoy the walk between either resort and either park. I don't mind starting my Epcot adventure at any day in World Showcase, I just don't see that as an issue--but thats me. I don't mind walking. I also can get to MGM from BWV in less than 15-20. Now I will admit that is rather brisk walking. The path takes you right up the the resort bus drop off area.
Well, I think the OP was wondering about how long the walk is. Sometimes people have physical reasons for not being able to walk long distances. Right now we like the walk, but at the end of our contract, we might not be so excited about it!

I agree that coming back after Illuminations or an evening in the World Showcase is the best!
Shannon

I would take issue with the claim that it is a five minute walk from BCV to BWV. Take a look at the map and you will see that the distance (going via the YC path) is much longer than one might think. It is a very, very healthy walk from BCV to MGM and not a short walk from BWV as Caskbill's data indicates.

Goofy's apprentice said:
Then....my answers....everyone is thinking how long to GET there. We always also consider how long to GET BACK. After Illuminations it's great to walk right back to the resort instead of all the way back through Future World and then to stand in a long bus line ! This is especially true during the wonderful weeks of F&W...

This is sooo true! I love the short walk to BCV or BWV after Illuminations.

Bobbi :)

PS. I must admit that I never thought I would walk home from Fantasmic to BWV, but I did it and it wasn't toooo bad.

When we stayed at BWV in Ocotber last year, our room was on the canal side, overlooking the croquet lawn, maybe about 1/3 way up the walkway entering the walkway from the Jellyrolls end. It took us about 15 minutes to walk to the entrance to MGM at a reasonable pace, not running. The walkway goes along the canal, and brings you out by the bus stops & tram drop off area. It's a pretty walk, and one that we enjoy. You can watch the boats go by, you are looking at the Boardwalk property and the Swan/Dolphin property, some nice foliage etc.

Distance and time of any of these walks is based on where in the resorts you are located. But, in any event, none of them are terribly difficult walks, and actually are lovely strolls.

Doctor P said:
I would take issue with the claim that it is a five minute walk from BCV to BWV. Take a look at the map and you will see that the distance (going via the YC path) is much longer than one might think. It is a very, very healthy walk from BCV to MGM and not a short walk from BWV as Caskbill's data indicates.

Thank you - depending on where you are at BWV it is a hike to MGM especially after a few days of the Disney Death March. And while the walk is convenient after Epcot closes - if you are going in the morning it is a longer walk to the open areas then taking most of the resort buses.

Thanks very much, everyone. A very impressive thread of responses! The link to the overhead photo with the coloured features was particularly helpful. We just stayed at the CR last month and walked MK to/from the North Garden Wing, which was very manageable. The walk from BMV to MGM doesn't look much longer than that. Seems to me that, while you could take the boat to MGM from the boardwalk, you could probably walk there just as fast if you take into account that you might otherwise have to wait for a boat and that the boat makes a couple of other stops on the way to MGM.

What's pushing me towards considering BWV is that it is within reasonable walking distance from two of the parks, which I think this thread confirms. (The walk from BCV to MGM looks considerably longer.)

Thanks all.

Our home resort is BWV, but we go back and forth from staying at the BCV & BWV. Both are GREAT choices and you won't be dissapointed with either.

Don't worry too much about walking distance, by the 3rd day of so much walking, you'll be taking the boat all the time!

Last fall during F&W, I averaged 7 to 8 minutes from around France in Epcot to the Village Green at BWV.

I walked back and forth several times by myself because the rest of the crew had either gone ahead or left earlier than I did. I timed it just for the heck of it (and I'd just gotten a new Tink Christmas watch at the Screen Door). I walked at a comfortable pace, I didn't hustle. This even includes one trip with blisters. :rolleyes:

DisFlan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter