C25K! Anyone else in?

You can find the one I'm using on iTunes. I just searched Couch to 5k and it brought it right up. For the more technologically advanced folks that have iPhones, "there's an app for that" as well.

I tried doing C25K last fall, made it up to week 4, then got really sick (and really scared about week 4) and quit. Just did my own running program from there (walk 3, run 2) and finished the WDW half marathon earlier this month. But, I would like to work up to being able to run for longer periods. I'm in my 50's and my knees are the greatest, but running for longer stretches is my new goal. I started back with week 3 today. It was tough, but I managed.

Here is another C25K podcast that some of you may be interested in:

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/

Yesterday DH says,"let's go for a bike ride." I (naively) agreed. Fifteen miles later I was no longer naive (I was a hurtin' puppy) and I no longer agreed. :sad2: Needless to say, I was not feeling Week 7 Day 1's 25 minute run this morning. My running partner, for reasons of her own, wasn't feeling it either BUT since neither of us wanted to be the punk butt who admitted it- we ran. I STRUGGLED the whole way but I DID IT! :cool1::banana::woohoo: I had so many conversations with myself during that run that I was beginning to feel like Sally Fields in Sybil. The funny thing is I can remember telling DH way back when that I ran 5 minutes and I struggled the whole way but I did it. C25K rocks!:cheer2:a

I just recently finished the C25K. I LOVED it. When I started in November, those 1 minute running stretches were killer. Now I can comfortably run for 40 plus minutes. I am aiming for the WDW Marathon next year.

I just recently finished the C25K. I LOVED it. When I started in November, those 1 minute running stretches were killer. Now I can comfortably run for 40 plus minutes. I am aiming for the WDW Marathon next year.

Well I am glad you posted this. I gave it a trial run today and one min was killing me by the fourth cycle of running. Wow I am bad. Can you stay at a week of the program if you dont feel ready to progress?

i finished this program at the end of december. it's a great program. i now run four miles every other day. i'm adding in an extra day of running right now, so i'll have two days in a row and then every other day.

if you would've told me that i'd be running four miles at a time, i never would've believed you. but i do feel better. and i'll be honest and say that i don't always feel like getting out there, but i ALWAYS feel better when i'm done. :thumbsup2

I'm so happy I started this thread!!!

I knew there were other people interested!

I just started W1D1 this morning and man it felt good!

I mean, afterwards hahah
During - not so much

Can I just ask - what do girls with umm... let's say... "thunder thighs" do about chaffing?

Let me know because that was not fun today.

Also - who runs on a treadmill vs. outside? - just curious because I am aiming to run a 5K in April and want to know when I should make the plunge into the cold weather and run outside.

Let me know!

Keep up the great work guys!

I am going to start this today. I went out and bought me some new shoes and clothing yesterday. I got some tight running pants to prevent the chaffing I knew I would face. I fully intend to wear them under another pair until I start to feel more like a runner.

IWISHFORDISNEY- When I began the program in September there were several weeks that I repeated because I didn't feel ready to move on to the next set of more challenging intervals. That is a great aspect of C25K, adaptability. I'd have to go back through my running journals but I know that I repeated at least one whole week and there were many times that I repeated Week Whatever Day Whatever until I ran the whole "running" segment per the program. It took me three tries to run Week 5 Day 3 (20 min.) without walking which is when I truly realized how mental running is. I could probably have ran 20 minutes the first time but mentally I gave up or found an excuse. It was enlightening to realize that mentally I wasn't as tough as I had imagined. Now when I run, I feel like I am conditioning my body and mind. Wow, that sounds cheesy!:lmao: Anyway, I think that repeating weeks or days that are really challenging is a good idea. Don't push too hard, too fast because, as we all know, that is the best way to burn out and quit all together. The flip side of that is to not get too comfy at any one week or day. In order to improve we have to push outside of our comfort zones.

willonlyflytodisney- I am a big fan of knee pants, capris, running pants and body glide! It was still hot in the desert when I started the program and I learned early on that shorts were a no-no for me. I find it difficult to run when my shorts are lodged in my esophagus! And really no one else on the trail wants to see that either!
I run outside because we have wonderful trails in our neighborhood. On really cold days I always under dress by one layer than the weather calls for because once I start moving I warm up really quickly.

I may not go fast, I may not go far, but I GO!

I made it through day 1! I even managed to run through all 60 second intervals. I openly admit to yelling at the podcast when he told me I had to run again about the 5th time on. I am sure I am going to be feeling this in the morning.

So glad to see this thread and to read the encouraging words! I am planning on starting the program on Monday. My goal is to run the half marathon at Disney next January.

Looking forward to joining you all. :thumbsup2

Week 1 Day 2 is in the books! I did find that an "active" rest day was good for me. I swam 2000 yards yesterday, slow and steady to build endurance and I did notice less soreness this morning. The advantage of the treadmill is that I can adjust the speed so that I go faster as the workout goes on. I started running at 4.6, but my last minute was 5.0. I want to learn to go faster at the end of the run, so that when I do my 5k's I finish strong.

Hello everyone. I was just told about the WISH boards, I never knew they were here. I have started the C25K program just this week. I have to start a healthy lifestyle because I have not done so for years.

I am obese and it has finally gotten to me. I have a goal of running in the half marathon in Jan 2011. So I am using the C25K as a starting point.

I'm not sure what all to post here, I plan to complete the C25K program and find some 5k races around me to actually run in. Once I am able to run 3 times a week, I will start the half marathon training.

Well that is what I have for now, I will be back more often.

I am thinking of starting weight watchers...

I'm so appreciative to see this thread. I've gotten completely out of shape and recently rejoined a gym. Even "in shape" i could never run. I am not obese but i'm very short so it is easy to boader on the almost overweight. 2-3 lbs and wii fit says i'm either overweight or normal.

I don't have a marathon goal but I'd like to be able to run 3 miles at the gym. I try to go 3-4 days a week. I have to go early morning so I can get the kids to daycare and get to work. If i wait until evening i don't go. Too many kids sports, dinner to cook, homework, etc. you know, basic life!

Anyway this am at the gym I tried to run and was thrilled I made it to 1/2 mile. I walked for another 1.5 but after i get so depressed I can't even run 1 mile.

I am downloading the podcast and starting! I look forward to continued inspiration from you all and hope I can inspire you in return.

Good morning fellow C25K'ers! :goodvibes

ZOOMAMA - Congrats on making it so far! :thumbsup2

jenn - How is it going? Are you doing day 2 today? When he said, "You shouldn't be tired or out of breath" I said, "What??!" :rotfl: Then I thought, well, I'm not OUT of breath, but I'm breathing heavy!

PeterPan - Good for you for completing day 2! :cool1: I'd love to be able to go at 5.0, but I know it's going to take time for me.

insoin - :welcome: I have registered to run the half in January, too! And my wii fit tells me I'm obese. :rolleyes1 It'll be fun doing this together! :) When are you going to start C25K?

To everyone else I missed - Good luck!

As for me: I decided to start the program today instead of waiting until Monday. I just posted a full journal entry about W1D1 on my PTR (link in my siggy), so I will just give the basics here.

It was easier than I thought, or maybe I was just surprised that I could handle it. My brisk walk was only at 3.5 (I can easily see this increasing, but there's a problem with that) and I had to keep my jogs at 4.0. I could have done faster and I did the first one at 4.5. But, I immediately started having pain/discomfort in my shins and top of feet. I decided to slow the pace down to alleviate that. I'm hoping it will go away as I build more strength in my body.

Speed: 3.5 for warm up, 4.0 for jogs, 3.0 - 2.5 for cool down
Duration: 30 minutes total
Distance: 1.75 miles

I started in on the C25K in the fall of last year, but then developed plantar fasciitis. :( I'm going to work on losing weight with diet and elliptical (doesn't hurt my feet!) and once I get to a more reasonable weight I'm going to try again. :thumbsup2

I started in on the C25K in the fall of last year, but then developed plantar fasciitis. :( I'm going to work on losing weight with diet and elliptical (doesn't hurt my feet!) and once I get to a more reasonable weight I'm going to try again. :thumbsup2

I developed that after my first trip to Disney (I wore crocs that first trip. I vowed never again. Now I always wear my sneakers when I'm at the world!) and it is so painful. Thankfully, it has gone away for me.

Good luck and I look forward to you joining us! :goodvibes

I'm going to start the C25k program on February 1st. I would like to start it tomorrow but I have Lupus and I need to get my doctors permission to start the program. My doctors appointment is at the end of January. :)

:wave: Hi fellow Lupie!

Hello everyone. I was just told about the WISH boards, I never knew they were here. I have started the C25K program just this week. I have to start a healthy lifestyle because I have not done so for years.

I am obese and it has finally gotten to me. I have a goal of running in the half marathon in Jan 2011. So I am using the C25K as a starting point.

I'm not sure what all to post here, I plan to complete the C25K program and find some 5k races around me to actually run in. Once I am able to run 3 times a week, I will start the half marathon training.

Well that is what I have for now, I will be back more often.

I am thinking of starting weight watchers...

I am also obese.... quite. But, I joined a gym just before the new year, and I've been going about 3-4 times per week. It's tough, and I have quite a bit of weight to lose, not to mention the fact that (as stated above) I have Lupus. But, going to the gym has become a part of my day that I (sort of) look forward to. I know I have a long way to go on my "getting healthy" journey, but I've gotten started, and that's the important part. :goodvibes

I have wanted to do the WDW Half for years now, and I just made the decision a couple days ago to go ahead and register. I know it will be tough, I know I won't be able to jog the whole way, but I plan to FINISH... even if I finish dead last. I have been considering the C25K method for training for the Half. I will probably start the program some time in the Spring (as I said, I have a lot of weight to lose, and I want to get a bit more of it OFF before I start the program). I'm glad I found this thread. It's nice to have others to chat with. And exciting to contemplate unleashing my inner RUNNER! :flower3:

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing well and sticking to it no matter where you are in the program. Yesterday we had 30 mph winds and a dust storm here so I ran on a treadmill at the gym for W7D2. I'm an outdoor runner so I was not looking forward to it but it turned out to be the best run I've had. I ran at a slower pace than I do outside (4.0 and 4.5 on TM) but I felt really relaxed and I totally zoned out which never seems to happen outdoors. Of course for the first 10 minutes or so I imagined that the really fast, really buff soldier on the TM in front of me was giving me a piggy back ride!:lmao:

I am so excited to see this thread! I started C25K about two weeks ago. Today I will do W2D2. I have been doing fine so far but I peeked ahead to some other weeks and I have to admit I am freaked. I literally can't imagine running for 28 minutes solid. But I am going to try the program and see what happens!

I live in MN and use a treadmill for now. I am using the iphone app and I love it. But I am wondering if anyone has any good play lists for this? I need some motivational music!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter