C25K! Anyone else in?

Started the Jeff Galloway 5k today. I am not a runner, but am hoping to do to the 5k next year, maybe the Princess half, I will see how it goes!

runsandjumps said:
How is everyone doing? Hope you all are getting your run on and feeling fabulous!

Still running! I'm doing the Nike Women's virtual 10k tomorrow. How's your calf?

shannon006 said:
Started the Jeff Galloway 5k today. I am not a runner, but am hoping to do to the 5k next year, maybe the Princess half, I will see how it goes!

Congrats on starting out! I was not a runner three months ago, but I finished the 5k program and am now using the Galloway 10k program. You can do it!

I am such a slacker. I have not run in 3 weeks. And I don't think I will have time this weekend. Yes, I know, I could probably make time, but ugh....

I have my first 5k in May, I really need to get going!

momto3gr8boys said:
Still running! I'm doing the Nike Women's virtual 10k tomorrow. How's your calf?

Congrats on starting out! I was not a runner three months ago, but I finished the 5k program and am now using the Galloway 10k program. You can do it!

It is worse today. I am totally serious this time about resting these awful things. I am going to do yoga instead.

Thanks:) I really appreciate hearing that you weren't a runner 3 months ago and your success:thumbsup2 I really really want to do the half, and your story gives me hope:goodvibes

shannon006 said:
Thanks:) I really appreciate hearing that you weren't a runner 3 months ago and your success:thumbsup2 I really really want to do the half, and your story gives me hope:goodvibes

I wasn't a runner then either. I was of the "I'll only run when chased" philosophy. I am now on my last week of the Jeff Galloway 5K program and my first 5K is next weekend. I am planning to do a Disney half one day. If I can run, anyone can!

I'm signing up for my first 5k in July. The Color Run seems like a fun way to start out. My whole family is doing it, since they can walk too. My brother in law and my niece signed up first and thought it would be fun to join them.

Is it best to do Jeff Galloway program online? I have the book and could follow that too. I'll be starting today!

kinntj said:
I'm signing up for my first 5k in July. The Color Run seems like a fun way to start out. My whole family is doing it, since they can walk too. My brother in law and my niece signed up first and thought it would be fun to join them.

Is it best to do Jeff Galloway program online? I have the book and could follow that too. I'll be starting today!

I use the iPhone app. He talks to you and tells you the intervals. I highly recommend his program.

Just polished off Week 6 with the 2.25 mile continuous run. I was one workout behind but after doing W5D3 over.... but I was able to fit a 4th workout in for the week to get me back on pace.

Starting to see results and am super excited for May to get here so I can do the EEC.

One step forward and 2 steps back.

Day before yesterday my knee really started acting up about 3/4 of the way through C25K but made it to the end. Usually I take a quick break and do galloway after, couldn't even make it 10 minutes. I rested the leg for the rest of the day but every time I took a step it was really painful. I put icy hot on and went to bed but didn't get much sleep because my knee would stiffen up and hurt.
Yesterday I was tired and it hurt going up the hill to the kids school but was much better. Fell asleep on the couch at 8, DS16 woke me up at 10 to shoo me off to bed and I was a lot better today.
I did C25K again today, same pattern Week4/Day 3 and while I had some small knee pain it wasn't bad.
It's in a really weird place too. It starts at the top of my knee cap and makes a crescent shape around the outside and stops at the bottom of my knee cap but then comes out in the back of my calf on the inside of the leg right below the knee bend. I can literally touch the exact exit point.
It is the oddest feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

Big night for me last night!

Was completing Week 7 with my 3rd 2.5 mile continuous run. Was on the treadmill and watching the Kentucky game... did my 2.5 miles..walked about 1/4 mile and realized the first half was almost over. Decided to finish out the 5K distance . All in all with walking factored in I kept a 15 minute mile pace.

One step forward and 2 steps back.

Day before yesterday my knee really started acting up about 3/4 of the way through C25K but made it to the end. Usually I take a quick break and do galloway after, couldn't even make it 10 minutes. I rested the leg for the rest of the day but every time I took a step it was really painful. I put icy hot on and went to bed but didn't get much sleep because my knee would stiffen up and hurt.
Yesterday I was tired and it hurt going up the hill to the kids school but was much better. Fell asleep on the couch at 8, DS16 woke me up at 10 to shoo me off to bed and I was a lot better today.
I did C25K again today, same pattern Week4/Day 3 and while I had some small knee pain it wasn't bad.
It's in a really weird place too. It starts at the top of my knee cap and makes a crescent shape around the outside and stops at the bottom of my knee cap but then comes out in the back of my calf on the inside of the leg right below the knee bend. I can literally touch the exact exit point.
It is the oddest feeling.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble! I have been fighting knee problems since I was about 12. As I've lost weight, it it mostly gone, but the running brings it back sometimes. You just have to listen to your body. Yes, you want to push yourself, but you should not be in excruciating pain and keep running. That won't do you any favors. Just be careful!

Big night for me last night!

Was completing Week 7 with my 3rd 2.5 mile continuous run. Was on the treadmill and watching the Kentucky game... did my 2.5 miles..walked about 1/4 mile and realized the first half was almost over. Decided to finish out the 5K distance . All in all with walking factored in I kept a 15 minute mile pace.

That's great! Good for you!

Rested the knee for a while but got back on the treadmill tonight. Knee pain is still there but not as bad. I did 5.5 miles in 83 minutes, furthest I've gone since I started running again, previous was 6 miles but it took a lot longer last time. I think I'll make a dr appt next week though just to be sure things are ok, hopefully it's just over use.

We have a race on the 30th for school, I think at this point I may just walk it, I don't know yet.

Did the race today. Still having knee issues so I did intervals. No set time but ran when I felt up to it and walked the rest. I'd say I ran at least 75% of the race. I'd count 90 walking steps then ran again.
I did 3 miles in 40:35 and my pace was a 13:32. This was my best time yet. Came in dead last though, which kind of stank but I finished.
The course was mostly uphill, a long slow grade.

I went back and looked at run keeper and I actually had 2 minutes towards the end of the race that were paced at a 9:30 mile. That was impressive.

I see the DR Monday about my knee, so the race in May is questionable because its about 90% uphill and it's a steep grade.

okay i just downloaded the app to my ipod touch and plan to start today........ question have any of u taken it really slow...... and stayed at the same week for longer than a week.............. i am battleing a few illnesses..... and finally feeling better and was able to start back working 3 months ago after being home for 3 years..........my dream my whole life ( i am 48 ) now has been to run a marathon........... mind u i cant run for a minute with out getting winded...... I really want to do this slowly without messing myself up healthwise ...........so anyone else do this slowly.............. when i fell ill gosh now almost 3 years ago i was walking about 5 miles a day........... seems like a lifetime ago...........

Week5 was a beast..it didn't help that it coincided with the weather becoming downright freezing here. For the first time in my training I had to conceded and for W5D3 I moved to the treadmill.

W5D1= Killed it..no problem
W5D2= Did not kill it, First 8 min run=no problem, 2nd run I only got to 5 min, then walked 90 seconds before doing the final 3 minutes of running.

W5D3= The dreaded 20 minute run...attempt 1 outside at same pace I have been running (around an 11:00 mile pace)= failure.... I did 12:00 and was spent...walked 3:00 and grinded out a 3:00 run but that was the end of it for me.

W5D3 attempt #2 I hit the gym and did the treadmill at a 14:00 mile pace and was able to take care of business with a little extra left.

Going to repeat this week until I feel better about the long run's pace (ideally I want a 12:00 mile).... or until I can do the distance (2 miles) continuous.

This is where I am right now! I will do W5D2 today after work. I really don't know what to expect! I feel like this is the week where I am going to hit a wall and have to start repeating days/weeks. :(

Hi,
I just started the Couch to 5k program and enjoy it! We decided to enter the 5k (me) and 10k (dh) at Marathon weekend. I think having this race will keep me more motivated than simply trying to exercise. I like how the C25k program is set up. Very user-friendly! And I like having the ability to listen to my music while doing it :)

I feel like this is the week where I am going to hit a wall and have to start repeating days/weeks. :(

Which is TOTALLY OK! Not worth a frowny face over. Do what you have to do; it will make you a stronger runner for it.

We're not just getting our legs used to running; we're getting our lungs and hearts ready too. We want everything to be strong and ready, even down to your veins and arteries, which might not have been used in these ways for a long time. :)

okay i just downloaded the app to my ipod touch and plan to start today........ question have any of u taken it really slow...... and stayed at the same week for longer than a week..............

It's totally OK. There's no race to finish it, IMO.

I actually don't remember when I started the C25K program last year (and I repeated week 4, I believe, once or twice, then got sick in the middle of it all and had to go back through it to continue and ultimately finish it), but as of the other day I signed up for the TOT 10 miler October and the January WDW Half-Marathon (and the 5K with my son over that same weekend).

Went from a "former" runner (in high school with my big dog who needed the exercise) to someone training for those things inside a year. Pretty cool!

Oh and I need to sign up for the 5K run for a local event in June. Last year I could walk it (and I'm using it as my "before" picture even though I'd already lost quite a bit of weight before that) and so we signed up for the walk...this year DH and DS will walk and I will do the run. :)

OK, slow jog. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter