Cabana Bay or Royal Pacific

Eclightnin

Earning My Ears
We are traveling to universal at the end of august. I have priced out staying at cabana bay and adding the express pass compared to royal pacific. I would save about $180 staying at cabana bay and have the unlimited express pass. Is it a better choice to go with cabana bay? Also, do you think that the express pass is worth having at the end of August (22nd-29th)
Thanks!

Your math is off somewhere. Unlimited Express is about $100 per day, per person. For your dates, Royal Pacific is only $86 more per night. Even if you were by yourself, Royal Pacific would be less money. But if there's 3 of you, to purchase Unlimited Express each day would run you $300, per day. So you'd actually be spending $200 more per day to stay at Cabana Bay and buying Express separately, or $1,400 for the week. That's if there is 3 people. Add or subtract $700 for each person.

Last edited:
End of August can be quieter time to go, but there are still lines.

For us the EP through hotel stay is always invaluable. We wouldn't be without it.

Your math is off somewhere. Unlimited Express is about $100 per day, per person. For your dates, Royal Pacific is only $86 more per night. Even if you were by yourself, Royal Pacific would be less money. But if there's 3 of you, to purchase Unlimited Express each day would run you $300, per day. So you'd actually be spending $200 more per day to stay at Cabana Bay and buying Express separately, or $1,400 for the week. That's if there is 3 people. Add or subtract $700 for each person.
I did leave off some important information. It will be just 2 people, 1 adult and 1 child. It is a week stay but a 4 day 3 park unlimited express pass. Only doing the parks for 4 days. The quote was $1512.00 for cabana bay only, $2013.00 with express at cabana bay and $2190.00 at royal pacific.

All things are subjective and is really dependent on taste. For the last week of August, you probably don't even need the Express pass, it's really one of the slowest times of the year. But if you like the pricing, then you can go with it.

As for the whole "personal opinion" and subjective thing, I'd pick Cabana Bay over RPR if pricing were equal with Express pass thrown in. The theme there really appeals to my family. But both hotels are really nice and you cannot go wrong.

A couple of things to note:

1. You mentioned doing a three park pass. Cabana Bay has very easy walking access to Volcano Bay. Likewise, Royal Pacific is an easy walk to Islands of Adventure.
2. Sounds like you will have a few days of no park activities. Both resorts have nice pool areas. Cabana Bay's is more active and RPR is more laid back. Cabana has a slide, lazy river, and in-pool sound system. RPR has a nice spray area for kids. The good thing is that you can pool hop and do any pools you choose.

I think the issue is you're doing a package deal. If you book room only, RP is only $86 more per night. Over 4 nights, RP would cost you $178 more. However, for each day, Express Unlimited, for 2 people, would be $200. It's still cheaper for RPR.

RPR also has the edge on location over Cabana Bay. At RPR, you can take the boat or just as easily walk over to the parks and City Walk. It's a much further walk from Cabana Bay, or your other option is bus which drops you off in the far corner of City Walk. The boat from RPR would drop you off pretty central in City Walk. So IMO, $180 is worth it to stay at RPR. I'd consider that a negligible price difference in the grand scheme of things.

I just got home from a split stay, which to me was the best of both worlds. Three nights at Cabana Bay, walk to Volcano Bay for the early entry, back to the room in the afternoon, bus to the parks at night. Then over to RPR for 2 nights, where I got the Express pass, which was largely unneeded, but saved some time. Very relaxing hanging out by the pool there also.

You may want to price out things separately as opposed to a package. And for a week's stay look into whether an annual pass vs a 4 day one and APH room rates could save you some money (although with a 7 night stay the Stay More, save more rate is usually better).

Looks like a 3pk 4 day ticket is 364.99 before tax, and a seasonal annual pass would be 383.99 before tax.

Last edited:
Just to double check, the EP with the Cabana Bay package is unlimited? I'd verify just in case it is the single-use EP.

All things are subjective and is really dependent on taste. For the last week of August, you probably don't even need the Express pass, it's really one of the slowest times of the year. But if you like the pricing, then you can go with it.

As for the whole "personal opinion" and subjective thing, I'd pick Cabana Bay over RPR if pricing were equal with Express pass thrown in. The theme there really appeals to my family. But both hotels are really nice and you cannot go wrong.

A couple of things to note:

1. You mentioned doing a three park pass. Cabana Bay has very easy walking access to Volcano Bay. Likewise, Royal Pacific is an easy walk to Islands of Adventure.
2. Sounds like you will have a few days of no park activities. Both resorts have nice pool areas. Cabana Bay's is more active and RPR is more laid back. Cabana has a slide, lazy river, and in-pool sound system. RPR has a nice spray area for kids. The good thing is that you can pool hop and do any pools you choose.

Thanks for your feedback. I do plan on going to US and IOA for 3 days and Volcano Bay for 1 day. I also plan on going to Sea World for 1 day which leaves 1 day to relax.

I just got home from a split stay, which to me was the best of both worlds. Three nights at Cabana Bay, walk to Volcano Bay for the early entry, back to the room in the afternoon, bus to the parks at night. Then over to RPR for 2 nights, where I got the Express pass, which was largely unneeded, but saved some time. Very relaxing hanging out by the pool there also.

You may want to price out things separately as opposed to a package. And for a week's stay look into whether an annual pass vs a 4 day one and APH room rates could save you some money (although with a 7 night stay the Stay More, save more rate is usually better).

Looks like a 3pk 4 day ticket is 364.99 before tax, and a seasonal annual pass would be 383.99 before tax.

Thanks! I'm going to see if the travel agent can give me some prices for split stays and annual passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter