Cabanas for dinner

Tooth Fairy

DIS Veteran
At one time Cabanas was open for a more casual upscale dinner in the evenings. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

It has not come back post-COVID. On the early sailings post COVID the crew said not enough staff to offer it and frankly not a lot of guests either. I am hoping that is one of the things they bring back over time.

Add DH and I to the list of those that are hoping they bring it back. DH and I prefer the Cabanas dinner table service over the MDRs.
I never experienced the Cabanas dinner. What did you like better? Food quality, choices, service, atmosphere?

I never experienced the Cabanas dinner. What did you like better? Food quality, choices, service, atmosphere?
It was more at your own pace. Showed up when you wanted while they were open. Some nights we wanted a fast dinner others slow. The food was made to order so everything came to the table very hot and fresh, no heat lamps. The wait staff was able to take more time with you without having to rush to other tables.

To bring up and old thread... Any idea if this is on the radar?

This, I think, has been the thing that really puzzles me that DCL hasn't brought it back this far after COVID. All other lines offer the buffet at dinner. Can't believe that DCL can't do the same. We loved eating dinner a few nights up there.

To bring up and old thread... Any idea if this is on the radar?

This, I think, has been the thing that really puzzles me that DCL hasn't brought it back this far after COVID. All other lines offer the buffet at dinner. Can't believe that DCL can't do the same. We loved eating dinner a few nights up there.
Part of the issue could be needing to hire new CMs. With new ships coming into service, as well as COVID cutbacks, I've read that they need many new ones.

Part of the issue could be needing to hire new CMs. With new ships coming into service, as well as COVID cutbacks, I've read that they need many new ones.
I get that could have been an issue in the past few years, but every other line out there has their buffet open for dinner. Not sure why DCL would be different. Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Princess, etc. are all bringing on new ships as well, and they seem to manage it just fine (in fact, dinner at the buffet on our recent Regal Princess cruise was very good and very busy - a lot of people sometimes just want to take a break from the long sit-down dinners).

Seems like there are plenty of us to help provide this feedback and let them know how we feel! We LOVED going to Cabanas for dinner. At least once every trip. I really miss having this option.

On our last cruise, our dining team was really nice...but they were too much. Just kind of over the top. We had to talk about whether or not their service was excellent about every 10 minutes. In fact the topic every night at dinner was how amazing their service was, whether it was excellent, promising to let them know if anything was not excellent, etc. It was draining and made the meals drag out. I would have given anything to have Cabanas open at dinner. The room service menu just doesn't do it for me at dinner time so there weren't any other good options.

BRING BACK CABANAS!!!!

I get that could have been an issue in the past few years, but every other line out there has their buffet open for dinner. Not sure why DCL would be different. Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Princess, etc. are all bringing on new ships as well, and they seem to manage it just fine (in fact, dinner at the buffet on our recent Regal Princess cruise was very good and very busy - a lot of people sometimes just want to take a break from the long sit-down dinners).
Given how carefully Disney monitors comment cards, my guess is not enough people have mentioned the Cabanas buffet for them to consider bringing it back. I had seen posts before the pandemic shutdown elsewhere that it was an under utilized dining venue.

Seems like there are plenty of us to help provide this feedback and let them know how we feel! We LOVED going to Cabanas for dinner. At least once every trip. I really miss having this option.

On our last cruise, our dining team was really nice...but they were too much. Just kind of over the top. We had to talk about whether or not their service was excellent about every 10 minutes. In fact the topic every night at dinner was how amazing their service was, whether it was excellent, promising to let them know if anything was not excellent, etc. It was draining and made the meals drag out. I would have given anything to have Cabanas open at dinner. The room service menu just doesn't do it for me at dinner time so there weren't any other good options.

BRING BACK CABANAS!!!!
One of the biggest selling points for DCL is rotational dining. Which is justified because they do a great job with it and for the most part you get fantastic customer service.

However, there are some nights where you just aren't feeling sitting down for an hour long meal in a big dining room with lots of people. It would be nice to have flexibility and have a laid back meal that isn't as hectic as the MDR. Just gives you an additional option.

That's one nice thing about other lines. They have flexible dining where you basically can decide for yourself. If you want MDR, you go. If you want a speciality restaurant, you go. If you want a cheeseburger, fries, and ice cream by the pool, you go. I don't know how well it would work on DCL but there's something to be said about that flexibility. Opening up Cabanas definitely would help with that on Disney.

I understand the ask for this , but the one time we tried it years ago on the fantasy there was literally only one other table there and the service was horribly slow (I think they used this venue to train new servers)

No set time.

Food as a combination of (hot) steak and some of the favorite items off the MDR menus. (They had nightly menus - just not Boarding Day.)

Quieter thanks to smaller crowd.

CC Party - Captain said they will be hiring 13 (or 16) thousand new employees in the next few years to cover the new ships. As it is, it seems most lines are still trying to re-staff.

I understand the ask for this , but the one time we tried it years ago on the fantasy there was literally only one other table there and the service was horribly slow (I think they used this venue to train new servers)

My memory is that they used it to practice both server skills and English language.

I have cruised Disney enough that dinner sometimes just needs to be food, not an event.

Please Bring Back Cabanas For those of us who stay off ship enjoying what the ports have to offer as long as we can and don't want to feel rushed to go to dinner. A casual more relaxed venue is for me. The MDR's are maybe once or twice a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter