Cabin Critique

EpcotQueen

DIS Veteran
The cabins certainly needed a redo. Disney ALMOST hit it out of the park except for...wish they would have kept the murphy bed. I found the murphy very comfortable. The sofa bed, while having a memory foam mattress, is very firm. The sofa bed is not made up. You have to do it. You can call housekeeping and the will come and make it up for you. Oh, by the way, it doesn't have a mattress pad on it either and none in cabin for it. If we visit the cabins again I'll bring my own fitted bottom sheet. The flat sheet is difficult to tuck around. Very little clearance beneath the mattress to do so. So if you plan on using sleeper, bring your own bottom sheet. The TV is a monster! Great pic on it. It's at least a 52 inch. Microwave/convection oven. I WANT ONE! It's really nice. I actually like the layout of the kitchen area better than the old. Agreed pantry gone but there are a lot of drawers under the TV. Queen size bed...no way to move it away from the wall. Need to be able to so person sleeping on that side can get up in middle of the night. I have an old bladder. And agility is a thing of the past. Cannot crawl down to foot of bed twice in the night.(Hence sleeping on sleeper.) I like the bathroom and tub area. Sink a bit higher. Lots of shelve space in tub surround. Will we come back? Probably. It's our favorite place!

Sounds like a pretty good review to me, EpcotQueen.

I'm glad they refreshed the cabins.

Bama Ed

Never stayed in the cabins. Wonder if there is a way to just get a look around inside one? (i.e. a "Tour")

I might have to ask when I get down there next.

Call mousekeeping or ask if you see someone. We asked a supervisor we saw who was checking a cabin, she was glad to show us.

An update...tried sleeping on sleeper sofa and finally threw in the towel. Now sleeping on bottom bunk. The sleeper was just too hard. Might as well slept on the floor..it was that bad. Bunk a tad short but more comfortable. I'm 5'7"; feet poked thru the bottom if I stretched out. Whole sleeping experience making us rethink coming back to the cabins. A shame...we really liked them.

That's the thing about having our "Rolling" Cabin. We know what we have and can make our own adjustments. That's not to say, I am against the cabins. I know they work well for many, but as you point out, it's these "Little Things" such as the length of the bed. It sounds like the bunk beds were made for younger folks, but I know a lot of "younger folks" who are also much taller then 5'7" and would likely have the same issues. For the money you spend, you want it to work. With prices from lows of about $309 to the highs at over $500 a night, you just don't want to have to deal with these issues.

I can understand a person who is 6'3" having issues. They are probably used to short beds, but 5'7"??? Did you mention it to the CMs/Staff? I am not saying "Complain" to them as much as I am saying that they need the feedback.

I hope the rest of your stay was wonderful though.

We 'talk' about a rolling cabin. But unless we would find something I could pull with my Highlander, cost of a new vehicle plus 'rolling' cabin would be prohibitive. And we would have to drive from PA. We are old f---s that do ok with about 10 hour drives but not much more. We love the Fort atmosphere but really don't know if we'll do the cabins again because of the sleeping situation.

I have only seen the updated cabins in videos, but we loved the Murphy bed! It was very comfortable for two adults to sleep on. Unless these are special sofa beds, the value of the cabins just disappeared. Our family use to share the cab in with a couple and it worked out great. Now that they have a sleeper sofa, adults are not going to want to spend this much money to sleep on an uncomfortable bed for a week.

All the other changes look great and the cabins do need the update.

We 'talk' about a rolling cabin. But unless we would find something I could pull with my Highlander, cost of a new vehicle plus 'rolling' cabin would be prohibitive. And we would have to drive from PA. We are old f---s that do ok with about 10 hour drives but not much more. We love the Fort atmosphere but really don't know if we'll do the cabins again because of the sleeping situation.
I hear you about the Rolling Cabin. Our first TT was a Coachmen Capri 27TBS. We towed it with an older Chevy Suburban. It did okay until we hit big hills. We too our from PA and like to go to Knoebels. If you have been there then you know you have to negotiate a couple of pretty good hills. (We come from the "Bloomsburg side and have 2 fairly long and steep hills). Anyway, we finally worked the "Upgrade" to an F150 XLT. It towed it much better. We used that to take our first trip to FW. Loved it. The DW however wanted to have more tow power so she encouraged the upgrade to an F250. Who am I to argue (although hind sight, I could do without the higher payment, but we did get an awesome deal). So now I have the F-250 Lariat.

I guess it will all work out in time if you really want it to.

Sorry to make another response off topic, buuut....

The DW however wanted to have more tow power so she encouraged the upgrade to an F250.

I don't think I will ever get that encouragement!:guilty:

I guess it will all work out in time if you really want it to.
Perhaps, but see above.....:sad:

Just so as to not be a complete hijacker....I have always been curious to see how roomy it felt inside the cabins.

I have always been curious to see how roomy it felt inside the cabins.
I agree.... That's why I want to see if I can get a "Tour" (So to speak) at my next visit. Wondering if it is worth the money.

The funny thing is, you can look at the pictures on Disney's Website, but the lens and angle can make a huge difference.
As an example: This picture looks like there are bunk beds (twin) on the right and a single Twin bed on the left.

room-fw-g16.jpg

But THIS angle makes it look like there is a KING size bed on the left
room-fw-g14.jpg

So which is it? How roomy is it really? First one looks like cramped quarters, second one looks much roomier.

Again. This angle below makes the bed look pretty short, only for a child (or short person)

room-fw-g20.jpg

While this angle makes it look like a 7 foot person could sleep on it.

Ah... Perspective is a wonderful thing (or not).
Images taken from https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/rates-rooms/ (click on the "View Photos" button)

Just so as to not be a complete hijacker....I have always been curious to see how roomy it felt inside the cabins.

The cabins are very roomy compared to a regular room on property. Plenty of room in the closet to stash the suitcases and with a separate living room and sleeping area and a deck, you never feel cramped together. The bathroom is small but it's about the same size as my one at home and huge compared to the one our camper had.

Wow, how are these refurbs so secret? I've been on these boards for the past couple of months, along with lots of Googling for images and such about the Cabins, but this thread is the first I've heard about the Murphy being swapped out for a sofa bed. I just booked our first stay for this fall back on Monday, too!
Hoping to hear more about changes and others' experiences. I had thought DH and I might sleep in the living room so that all the kids would sack out together in the bedroom, but now I think my eldest will have to take the sofa, because he doesn't mind them, while we take the big bed.

Is there a link to a new video tour? I tried searching YouTube and haven't found anything. Thanks.

Going to the Cabins on Monday, it is our regular (and only go to spot). I hope the sofa is okay, the Murphy bed was my spot, perfect for night wanders with the built in light. Some of the bunk mattresses were shorter than others we found. Though I am curious if the roll in shower cabins have been refurbed too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter