Cabin Door Locks

Unless something has changed recently, the kids' club magic bands only work for locating the child when they are inside the club. They do not work for locating a child elsewhere on the ship.
I know they can locate you anywhere in the parks with magic bands. It doesn’t really make sense that on the ship, the tracking would somehow shut off if you were outside the club.

Note: edited to add I just remembered it also works on cc because they were able to tell me where in scuttles cove my son was.

I know they can locate you anywhere in the parks with magic bands. It doesn’t really make sense that on the ship, the tracking would somehow shut off if you were outside the club.

Note: edited to add I just remembered it also works on cc because they were able to tell me where in scuttles cove my son was.

It works in the parks where they have readers located throughout the parks to read the RFID chips. It works in the clubs and on Scuttles Cove because they have readers in those areas. There are not readers all over the ship.

you can get a "portable" door alarm- they look like door stoppers, you stick it into the door while closed; if someone tries opening the door, it sets off an alarm. Search for "hotel door alarm" on amazon; they come in two packs also, you could stick one on the veranda door as well.

It works in the parks where they have readers located throughout the parks to read the RFID chips. It works in the clubs and on Scuttles Cove because they have readers in those areas. There are not readers all over the ship.
Wow, I really hope they fix that on the new ships and private island. Seems like the kid safety measures in the parks should be just as good on the cruise.

Wow, I really hope they fix that on the new ships and private island. Seems like the kid safety measures in the parks should be just as good on the cruise.
I'm not sure if it is something that needs 'fixing'. They have it in the kids club so when a parent shows up they can track down the kid. (They would tell me, "OK, your son is in the __________ area." They don't have it throughout the ship because the default position is that if a child is to young to be in the ship unsupervised, then the parents are required to supervise them. I think that it is great that they have the ability to locate a lost child in the parks; I also think that it is more likely for a child to get separated from their parents in the parks. Since there is the ability for a child to climb over a railing and fall overboard, I don't blame DCL in the slightest for not wanting to provide a false sense of security to parents that DCL will monitor their kids throughout the ship.

I'm not sure if it is something that needs 'fixing'. They have it in the kids club so when a parent shows up they can track down the kid. (They would tell me, "OK, your son is in the __________ area." They don't have it throughout the ship because the default position is that if a child is to young to be in the ship unsupervised, then the parents are required to supervise them. I think that it is great that they have the ability to locate a lost child in the parks; I also think that it is more likely for a child to get separated from their parents in the parks. Since there is the ability for a child to climb over a railing and fall overboard, I don't blame DCL in the slightest for not wanting to provide a false sense of security to parents that DCL will monitor their kids throughout the ship.
But this whole thread is about how easy it is for kids to open the door and bolt out their room when their parents are asleep, showering, etc, which as I noted earlier happened to us once. And one of our sons also got lost when his dad was helping our youngest in the potty near the pools and he left the bathroom and took off. So I disagree that lost kids are more common in the parks or result from a case of inattentive parents. We’ve actually never had a lost child at the parks because they are always in strollers between ride but have lost them twice on the ships.

Actually, in the parks being able to reunite lost children with their families is a side bonus to the real reason they track everyone... to know what the traffic patterns are in the park and be better able to dynamically spread out the crowds. This, of course, is not necessary on the ships.

If there is a lost child, hopefully someone would bring them to the nearest CM. They would then bring them straight to the Club where we can scan their band and call the parents

They don't need RFID readers all over the ship because of all the cameras. Those, paired with your emabrkation photo, give them the info they need to find you or your child.

The room doors are heavy. The room stewards are also almost ways around monitoring the hallways and your steward will know your family.

Yes, kids can sometimes get away just like anywhere else. The incidents I've seen listed could have happened in any hotel or at any pool. If a child is lost, crew member are trained to take them to the clubs where they stay until a parent comes. That's a clearer and safer system than your local Hampton Inn or municipal pool. No matter what Disney does, kids will still be unpredictable and parents will still have to be on their toes.

My just turned 2yo opened our door on the Dream many times. It was a big of a struggle, but he would do it and run out into the hall. He thought it was so fun, but it was stressful for us.

We just kept our folded up stroller in front of the door when we were sleeping. It would slow them down if nothing else

Actually, in the parks being able to reunite lost children with their families is a side bonus to the real reason they track everyone... to know what the traffic patterns are in the park and be better able to dynamically spread out the crowds. This, of course, is not necessary on the ships.

Princess is tracking passengers on their newest ships and a couple others with their Medallions. Don't worry: Disney will do it eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter