• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cabin questions/opinions?

diswedwish

DIS Veteran
My mom and I have been making regular Disney trips, just the two of us, the past several years. We usually stay at POFQ. We have successfully (okay, mostly) talked my dad and DH into joining us in 2013.

I'm debating a cabin at FW versus 2 rooms at FQ. I thought a cabin might be better because:
My dad smokes - can you still smoke on the porch of the cabins?
We can eat some meals in the cabin - thought it might be a nice change of pace.
It would be a more relaxed experience for my dad (dislikes crowds) and DH (first trip to Disney).

My mom is against the idea because she thinks transportation will be a nightmare and she likes FQ. I'm not sure whether we'd have a car or not at this point. Is transportation an issue? I know it's more complicated than FQ, but didn't think it would be awful.

I'm not sure how much privacy we would really have either. We get along well, but is a cabin a bit too cozy for 2 couples?

Thoughts or suggestions?

Transportation should be better at the Fort. You can take the busses to the parks and a Boat to MK. They have busses that run inside the fort as well.

It wouldn't be as private as 2 rooms. But, you'd have a kitchen and living room. :thumbsup2

Rent the men a golf cart, transportation will no longer be an issue.

The transportation is everyones concern. Sometimes it does take a little longer since you have to get on two buses. BUT the boat to MK makes it worth it IMHO.

I believe you can still smoke on the deck. I don't smoke so I am not an expert on that question.

Love eating a few meals at the cabin. Steaks are better on the grill then anywhere in Disney. I would recommend Garden Grocer for getting your groceries. (since you may not have a car).

The golf cart is not needed but it nice.

IT will definitely be more relaxed!!!!!! We took my Inlaws (age 70 and 72) and they really liked it there. We would play cards on the deck, and hang out. It is very quiet too.

Can you live with one bathroom? We got a cabin near the outdoor ones for the campers just in case.

Hope this helps.

BTW, We stayed at ASSports last year....hated it.

You will love the cabins. I know my husband sure does, it is very laid back and peaceful and yes you can smoke on the deck. The cabins have an entrance both by the kitchen ( main entrance ) and also one off the bed room. You will have almost as much privacy as two rooms. The bedroom also has a TV.
Getting around is very easy, we have never felt the need to rent a golf cart as the internal buses run every 10 minuets.
If you request a cabin in the 2100 loop there is a path to the comfort station in the 1100 loop that you can use if needed.
Have a good time on your trip.

Thank you very much for the replies! I never even thought about using the comfort stations! 1 bathroom was definitely a bit of a concern. Good to know about the smoking. I didn't know about the 2 entrances either. Now I just have to talk my mom into it;)

First tell her that you can have coffee in the morning on the deck. IN HER PJ's. No need to dress. Then tell her that you can save a few bucks with your own meals. Especially breakfast. If that doesn't work, tell her you can go to the beach and see the MK fireworks.

If that doesn't work.....send her to this site.
:)

I am not an outdoor person but I LOVE THE CABINS. I have stayed at the value, moderate, deluxe & villas & even a Grand Villa and I have to say, I really enjoyed the cabins the most. It is so peaceful at night and if we saved alot of money by cooking. Each day before leaving the cabin, we would start dinner in a crock pot and by 4:00 or 4:30 we would head back and dinner was done. I love the fact that I can have a cup of coffee in the morning out on the porch at the picnic table, in my pj's, that's vacation. The money we saved we put toward a golf cart. Especially during the holidays, you can bring a cup of hot cocoa and drive around the camp site and look at all the decorated RV's. It's so much fun!!!! :banana:

diswedwish- I don't know how old your mom is but I'm going to be 56 years old this year and I love the fort. My husband stayed there for the first time last year and thats the place he want to stay this December trip.

It's more like having your own little home instead of staying in a hotel. Only thing is this home has a housekeeper and it isn't you. lol

Yes and your dad can smoke outside, my son and daughter are smokers and they both enjoy that they can go outside to smoke.

Transportation isn't bad at all, my daughter and I went the first time to the fort without golf cart and we didnt wait that long at all for buses. The golf cart is more for fun now.

My husband enjoyed cooking outside and we enjoyed taking a day off to fish.
I think you should at least try it out, as it just maybe your new place to stay while at disney.

The golf cart IS more fun, but it also makes it very convenient to get around the Fort...to the beach, pools, trading posts, Trails End, Crockets Tavern, looping, etc. not to mention GC parking at the marina and the outpost for catching the park busses. Although as others have said, the internal busses are also convenient if you choose to use them. We do both.

And I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone complain after staying in the cabins.

My children are all grown now but when they were young we would come to WDW every November and stay in one of the cabins. We haven't been back to the Fort in years though due to the high rate of the cabins.

But I was able to get a decent rate for January using a code and we are coming back! :yay:

I'm so excited. FW is my favorite all time place to be!

My parents, cousin, aunt and uncle and their 2 kids all stayed in a cabin. The bathroom was never an issue and we were there to visit also. We camped in our RV and all together had 3 golf carts to cruise around in. That, to us, is the best part, so we bought ourselve a nice fancy golf cart!:cool1: I have stayed off site and at ASM but the fort is by far the best place IMO!! Good luck in talking everyone into "camping"!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter