• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cabins at Fort Wilderness Points Charts Posted! For Sale and Booking Dates too!

What do you think the availability of the cabins will look like at 7 months, non-peak time?

If dues are so high and the best economical choice as others have mentioned is to only use your cabin points to book cabins, will there be anything left at 7 months? Other than a night or two here or there...

On the renting thing:

Casual, once-in-a-while rentals are always going to be okay, because there is a contractual allowance to do so. Commercial rentals at scale are going to attract the ire of DVCMC, because there is language that claims such commercial behavior as against the program rules.

The only question is: where is the line between once-in-a-while and at-scale?

And remember: the only opinion about that line that matters is DVCMCs. There are many ways they could draw that line. For example, you can pay DISboards for the right to post rental ads. There are four "tiers" of privilege. I can imagine some of those tiers viewed as being on the "Commercial" side of the line, or maybe all of them will be fine.

I did some math because I was curious. I think trying to compare the cabins to a studio isn't an accurate comparison, so I compared 1 week (mid season - Feb 1-15) in a standard view 1 bedroom in RIV, to the same week at the cabins. I used 2025 point chart for the comparison.

RIV - 276pts needed, $201/pt purchase price, 47yrs worth of points, $8.85/pt dues. Your purchase price would be $55,476, and your 1 week stay would cost you $3,622.94 ($4.28/pt/yr + dues)

CFW - 148pts needed, $221/pt purchase price (would be cheaper to buy 150pts, but I wanted to keep things consistent), 51yrs worth of points, $12.16/pt dues. Your purchase price would be $32,708, and your 1 week stay would cost you $2,441.01 ($4.33/pt/yr + dues)

Overall, you're saving 41% upfront and 32.6% per stay by buying CFW points compared to RIV.

FW should not be difficult sticking into at 7 months most of the year. I'm looking at something similar but comparing to buying the points at Riviera and switching into FW. To compare to yours it'd look at cost and dues for 148 Riviera points or (150 at both) and then Riv would come way ahead.

ETA: could maybe do it cheaper somewhere else direct, but I think Riv is best comp and gives best advantages of owning (booking standard category, for example).

I must've missed the earlier conversation and I know this veering slightly off topic, but if they were serious about cracking down on rentals why even bother looking for advertising here or another or forum. Couldn't they just look at the amount of reservations not made in the member's name?

I currently have 20 reservations booked in all my memberships and not one of them is a rental.

Now, my name is on all of them and I will be on many…and some are just place holders for possible trips that will end up canceled.

So, I think they are updating to say someone regularly advertising rentals is not renting under a personal use guideline.

The fact it’s now part of the multisite POS to make it more specific, it’s going to change thing up for some.

I did some math because I was curious. I think trying to compare the cabins to a studio isn't an accurate comparison, so I compared 1 week (mid season - Feb 1-15) in a standard view 1 bedroom in RIV, to the same week at the cabins. I used 2025 point chart for the comparison.

RIV - 276pts needed, $201/pt purchase price, 47yrs worth of points, $8.85/pt dues. Your purchase price would be $55,476, and your 1 week stay would cost you $3,622.94 ($4.28/pt/yr + dues)

CFW - 148pts needed, $221/pt purchase price (would be cheaper to buy 150pts, but I wanted to keep things consistent), 51yrs worth of points, $12.16/pt dues. Your purchase price would be $32,708, and your 1 week stay would cost you $2,441.01 ($4.33/pt/yr + dues)

Overall, you're saving 41% upfront and 32.6% per stay by buying CFW points compared to RIV.
Maybe the boogie man (dues) aren’t so scary after all, thanks for doing that math.

Now I do think there’s a few other considerations at play like location, transportation, more room options for growing families, resale restriction (being locked into just RIV v just CFW), as well as overall value of DVC product vs cash bookings but your point stands that this can be a great choice for a lot families and potentially save them money even with the dues as high as they are.

FW should not be difficult sticking into at 7 months most of the year. I'm looking at something similar but comparing to buying the points at Riviera and switching into FW. To compare to yours it'd look at cost and dues for 148 Riviera points or (150 at both) and then Riv would come way ahead.

ETA: could maybe do it cheaper somewhere else direct, but I think Riv is best comp and gives best advantages of owning (booking standard category, for example).
It’s much more for a FW in a 1bdrm at RIV though which I think is what they were comparing.

I’m with @bama_ed, the way this all makes sense (trust, dues, expanded language to redistribute point totals across room types, lack of restoring Reflections building sites) etc, is if they are planning to build and roll out Reflections into a trust with CFW. Otherwise this doesn’t make any sense and seems like a bad business decision.

Maybe the boogie man (dues) aren’t so scary after all, thanks for doing that math.

Now I do think there’s a few other considerations at play like location, transportation, more room options for growing families, resale restriction (being locked into just RIV v just CFW), as well as overall value of DVC product vs cash bookings but your point stands that this can be a great choice for a lot families and potentially save them money even with the dues as high as they are.
I just had to book a 2 bedroom since my parents are coming on a trip with us, and that was A LOT of points. If I knew I liked the location of the cabins, I would 100% buy a small contract there for the trips when we bring my parents along.

you're assuming you'll be able to book at 7 months, which as of right now, you have no data to back that assumption. I would never consider buying 150 RIV points right now if I wanted to stay at CFW.

I’m with @bama_ed, the way this all makes sense (trust, dues, expanded language to redistribute point totals across room types, lack of restoring Reflections building sites) etc, is if they are planning to build and roll out Reflections into a trust with CFW. Otherwise this doesn’t make any sense and seems like a bad business decision.
I mentioned in (well, I can't remember which thread) a thread earlier that when we were in Ft. Wilderness (we did an RV rental Thanksgiving week), cast members said that there was work going on and that they were referring to it as the "River Country Lodge", at the time, I thought it was just colloquial, but maybe there was more to it...

I currently have 20 reservations booked in all my memberships and not one of them is a rental.

Now, my name is on all of them and I will be on many…and some are just place holders for possible trips that will end up canceled.

So, I think they are updating to say someone regularly advertising rentals is not renting under a personal use guideline.

The fact it’s now part of the multisite POS to make it more specific, it’s going to change thing up for some.
I cannot see where is it part of the new multi site POS. Seems to be the same wording as before? Can you point me in the right direction?

It’s much more for a FW in a 1bdrm at RIV though which I think is what they were comparing.
I'm saying that someone that wants Riviera should obviously buy Riviera and someone that prefers FW should in most situations also buy Riviera and then just switch in at 7 months. BUYING FW will make sense for very few people. If one *has* to be at FW (like a family of 6) or wants something like christmas or Halloween or otherwise fears they won't get one of 400ish rooms at 7 months, then buy FW for an expensive peace of mind.

Thanks for the math showing a cabin is more economical than a RIV 1BR, which only sleeps 5. So a family of six would really save, since they’d need a 2BR at RIV.

I'm saying that someone that wants Riviera should obviously buy Riviera and someone that prefers FW should in most situations also buy Riviera and then just switch in at 7 months. BUYING FW will make sense for very few people. If one *has* to be at FW (like a family of 6) or wants something like christmas or Halloween or otherwise fears they won't get one of 400ish rooms at 7 months, then buy FW for an expensive peace of mind.

Agreed. Plus a family of 6 depending on composition would either work very well in the cabins or be miserable. 2 adults and 4 young kids yes, 2 adults and 4 teens, ehhh, 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 in laws? A 2 BR would be much better, and the cabins don’t grow with that family of 6 like the rooms do at Riviera. Riviera gives you the option at 7 months, but also works for many more variations of family visits.

Just kinda spitballing here... But would this align with this thinking???

In the POS: "The overall boundary of the property which DVD contemplates adding to The Cabins Resort Use Plan is described in the survey, floor and plot plan attached to the Declaration; provided, however, that DVD reserves the right to add additional property which may not be included within the overall boundary."

Now to find the survey...

To add, Disney is not being forced to change out the cabins after 27.5 years, the IRS stipulations are for depreciation schedules and using 27.5 years to do so for mobile homes. After the 27.5 years of depreciation, the mobile home has been fully depreciated on the entity's books but the entity can still choose to utilize the home as they see fit.

Having not read ahead yet of messages past this one, this is certainly true.

But beyond offering (more) run down properties (no matter what the upkeep), a fully depreciated asset offers no expense offset which ultimately results in higher taxes paid.

Uncle Same always gets his.

Bama Ed

Just kinda spitballing here... But would this align with this thinking???

In the POS: "The overall boundary of the property which DVD contemplates adding to The Cabins Resort Use Plan is described in the survey, floor and plot plan attached to the Declaration; provided, however, that DVD reserves the right to add additional property which may not be included within the overall boundary."

Now to find the survey...

That’s a good catch, very interesting wording. DVD certainly learned their lesson with Poly so it was surprising seeing them make a mistake with one unit type again at CFW. If their plan was Reflections to be a part of this, it isn’t a mistake. It also explains the lack of incentives. If they do Reflections + cabins that would be a great offering.

No need for them to rush sales of CFW if they announce later this year that Reflections 2.0 is the next build and will be part of the CFW association. At that point, you get an association with all the room categories and amenities DVC owners expect. If Disney wants to honor Walt, they build a great pool area in honor of River Country.

Reflections 1.0 had a "Lazy River" in the blueprints that I have. Get you a floatie ring and go round and round and round.... If they do build a new Reflections 2.0, I hope it has a Lazy River to honor River Country as you suggest, @maui22.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter