CAD $$

Me too! I usually go to a foreign exchange place and get a better rate than the bank but desperate times call for desperate measures so I just went online and transfered funds between the two accounts. It cost me $30 more than my usual way but the rate is still way better than the rate I paid for what is sitting in my $US account currently.

I've been watching. I have a December cruise to pay off in USD and really debating whether to pay it off. Hoping we can go. And save a few bucks in the process.

Me too! I usually go to a foreign exchange place and get a better rate than the bank but desperate times call for desperate measures so I just went online and transfered funds between the two accounts. It cost me $30 more than my usual way but the rate is still way better than the rate I paid for what is sitting in my $US account currently.

What is this place you speak of?!

There are two different foreign exchange places here in Ottawa. They have currency to buy/sell from all over the world. I'm not certain if you can order online. Here's the link though "Currency exchange". I've only ever gone there in person. I use the website to check out what a good rate is more often than I actually purchase anything. It would be useful to you from that perspective. You may even have a similar place in Halifax.

Does anyone know if I can convert a Canadian gift card into USD$? We always use a credit card when we go to the US, so it doesn't make sense for us to buy USD$

Does anyone know if I can convert a Canadian gift card into USD$? We always use a credit card when we go to the US, so it doesn't make sense for us to buy USD$

Like a Disney giftcard? Only when you use it, then it applies the exchange rate at that time. There used to be a way to lock in that rate but Disney closed that loop hole :(

tnessing that, I pushed to get it early. Was fine after the first shot, but after the second shot def ran a temperature, had chills and very sore arm for a good 48 hrs. Certainly
Like a Disney giftcard? Only when you use it, then it applies the exchange rate at that time. There used to be a way to lock in that rate but Disney closed that loop hole :(
Yes, a Disney giftcard. That's too bad that's not an option anymore, since I probably would've gotten a few giftcards for our upcoming trips

Same with me. I always use a credit card when I’m traveling in the US. I sometime get about $100 USD for small purchases, but even then, I sometimes have trouble spending that cash. A credit card is just easier for me....and I can track my purchases online.

Yes, a Disney giftcard. That's too bad that's not an option anymore, since I probably would've gotten a few giftcards for our upcoming trips
We went the route of the gift cards last trip and I think we'll do that again the next time we go, it was seamless. I bought them wherever i was, a little at a time, using a credit card that gave me some type of reward (not directly on the gift card but for my purchase using the credit card) and that meant there was no foreign transaction fee applied to the card while in the states. It also made it easier to budget before we even left and felt like our own custom dining plan since we paid up front. They worked the same as cards bought there but what we actually did was charge stuff to the room using our magic bands and then occasionally stopped in the lobby to apply the cards to the balance. When we checked out we had them use everything that was left on the gift cards and then only ended up paying an extra $500 (more than decent after 3 weeks!) I also used them to reserve the room & buy hubby's ticket before we left home.

It's much easier IMHO to have already spent the money, here in CDN funds and know it's already done. Only thing I'd suggest is don't get them until you're 100% positive you're going because they can only be used there, can't use them if you decide to go to Jamaica :P ALSO if you use them before you go don't toss the cards because and refunds go back onto the original payment form.

We went the route of the gift cards last trip and I think we'll do that again the next time we go, it was seamless. I bought them wherever i was, a little at a time, using a credit card that gave me some type of reward (not directly on the gift card but for my purchase using the credit card) and that meant there was no foreign transaction fee applied to the card while in the states. It also made it easier to budget before we even left and felt like our own custom dining plan since we paid up front. They worked the same as cards bought there but what we actually did was charge stuff to the room using our magic bands and then occasionally stopped in the lobby to apply the cards to the balance. When we checked out we had them use everything that was left on the gift cards and then only ended up paying an extra $500 (more than decent after 3 weeks!) I also used them to reserve the room & buy hubby's ticket before we left home.

It's much easier IMHO to have already spent the money, here in CDN funds and know it's already done. Only thing I'd suggest is don't get them until you're 100% positive you're going because they can only be used there, can't use them if you decide to go to Jamaica :P ALSO if you use them before you go don't toss the cards because and refunds go back onto the original payment form.
That's what we've done too, I think after seeing it suggested here. Our credit card gives us 5% cash back at the grocery store, so between that and not having to pay a foreign transaction fee, we end up ahead. We usually wait until a few days before we leave to buy our gift cards, since like you said, I don't want to be left with a bunch of money in gift cards that we won't use if we change plans!

I didn't know abut keeping the cards though. We usually give them to my 3 year old who eventually looses them. I'll start keeping them, or at least taking a picture of it.

I always use Disney gift cards too. I buy them when I arrive at the resort gift shop. With my USD credit card. I use it for meals and have another just for suvies. I prefer limiting credit card exposure, cards get compromised even at Disney.
Added benefit is it’s easy to track spending because you get your balance after each transaction. Mid way thru trip I usually add more funds.

Bought a bit yesterday. Good time to buy a little at a time online while the exchange rate trends up. I buy from Tangerine as slightly better rate than TD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter