• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cali Grill Dining Fireworks Timing Question

countrypilot

Earning My Ears
I have a question about the California Grill and timing it for the fireworks. My family has never dined here so we're very excited to try it for the 50th anniversary menu. I scored a 7:20 PM reservation. BooBash is that night so MK closes at 8:30. When will the fireworks go off then at MK? I'm assuming Cali Grill is an amazing place to watch. Should I keep my reservation if my goal is to watch the fireworks from the restaurant of switch to more like 8:30PM?

I think 7:20 is good. Most nights for Fireworks in Magic Kingdom in October is 8 PM fireworks.

By the time you check into Ca Grill, your table is called, and then you get upstairs, it should time out for fireworks right around dessert. When I was there last month, most folks got up and walked out onto the deck and then returned to their table.

Depending on how long it takes your family to eat, 1 hour prior to fireworks is a safe bet. If you're still eating, you can get up and watch the fireworks on the deck and then return to your table.

If you're already finished eating, you can walk out to the deck and wait (they usually open the deck a few minutes prior to fireworks).

When we visited, we finished eating 30 minutes before fireworks. They let us stand in the upstairs lobby and wait. They opened the deck 15 mins prior to fireworks.

I spoke to an Enchanted Extras CM last week (Sept 14) before trying to book the "Celebration at the Top" fireworks party and she told me that with the new format, only those who purchased and booked the "Celebration at the Top" party would be able to go out onto the observation deck but the regular restaurant diners would be viewing the fireworks from the windows.

I spoke to an Enchanted Extras CM last week (Sept 14) before trying to book the "Celebration at the Top" fireworks party and she told me that with the new format, only those who purchased and booked the "Celebration at the Top" party would be able to go out onto the observation deck but the regular restaurant diners would be viewing the fireworks from the windows.

This is not correct. Those at the private fireworks party will have exclusive use of their observation deck off the private dining rooms. This deck is not usually in use by restaurant.

Those booking the restaurant dining will have access to the observation deck off the restaurant that is always in use.

This is a photo of the deck off the restaurant (only the right third). The private rooms are those middle windows and to the left, and you can see the beginning of the private rooms observation deck on the left. They run parallel to each other. The best view on this left deck is out at the end so you aren't looking "through" the other deck.

Last edited:
I have a question about the California Grill and timing it for the fireworks. My family has never dined here so we're very excited to try it for the 50th anniversary menu. I scored a 7:20 PM reservation. BooBash is that night so MK closes at 8:30. When will the fireworks go off then at MK? I'm assuming Cali Grill is an amazing place to watch. Should I keep my reservation if my goal is to watch the fireworks from the restaurant of switch to more like 8:30PM?
Even if your dinner is completed before fireworks you may save your receipt and go back up to the 15th floor outdoor viewing for fireworks. We love the Sunday Brunch at CG and save the receipt and go back the evening we enjoyed the brunch for fireworks. Fireworks are better on the outside viewing area than from the restaurant itself. You will hear all the music etc as it is piped to the outdoor area. I assume Tinkerbell will still fly out of the castle each night during the show. Watch the show on You Tube prior to your visit to determine which song she makes flight then you will be prepared and not miss it.

This is not correct. Those at the private fireworks party will have exclusive use of their observation deck off the private dining rooms. This deck is not usually in use by restaurant.

Those booking the restaurant dining will have access to the observation deck off the restaurant that is always in use.

This is a photo of the deck off the restaurant (only the right thrid). The private rooms are those middle windows and to the left, and you can see the beginning of the private rooms observation deck on the left. They run parallel to each other. Left deck has best view out at the very end.

View attachment 606868

Agreed that this is currently the case. However, it would not surprise me that a new policy will be implemented October 2nd, where only Fireworks Party guests can stand on the observation deck, with regular diners denied entry.

We are in a new era... you want that nice view? Fork up some cash.

Not trying to start a rumor here, as there is zero evidence of this... it just wouldn't surprise me one bit.

This is a photo of the deck off the restaurant (only the right thrid). The private rooms are those middle windows and to the left, and you can see the beginning of the private rooms observation deck on the left. They run parallel to each other. Left deck has best view out at the very end.

Well, since she gave me the wrong time of when the Fireworks party reservations would go online, I wouldn't doubt if she was wrong about the fireworks viewing outside. However, she did say that the private party's observation deck was the prime viewing spot.

View attachment 606868

Just curious: Why would the deck shown on the left provide a better view at the end; does it go up higher? They are both the same length. Plus, can you still hear the music just as well as by the building or do they have speakers all along the deck?

There are three observation decks. The photo above shows the two separate ones on the MK side of the building. There's a smaller one on the other side near the wine room.

The banquet room uses the deck on the left of the photo, restaurant customers use the one on the right. View is good from either one and they each will fit a lot of viewers. There isn't any need to use both of them for party customers.

So, I'm confused; I killed myself to wake up early to book the $129 private "Celebration at the Top" that only offered small plates but prime outdoor viewing of the fireworks, and in the end failed to find an available reservation. However, the new prix fixe dinner menu offers a complete meal including beverages, but I'm not clear about why, if regular diners are also able to go out on their own deck (which is actually closer towards MK) to view the fireworks, but are charged less? Is the private party viewing deck more desirable, and if so, why? Or is it more that the private party offers more or better selection of beverages? ... or maybe also better food?

So, I'm confused; I killed myself to wake up early to book the $129 private "Celebration at the Top" that only offered small plates but prime outdoor viewing of the fireworks, and in the end failed to find an available reservation. However, the new prix fixe dinner menu offers a complete meal including beverages, but I'm not clear about why, if regular diners are also able to go out on their own deck (which is actually closer towards MK) to view the fireworks, but are charged less? Is the private party viewing deck more desirable, and if so, why? Or is it more that the private party offers more or better selection of beverages? ... or maybe also better food?
Same quality of food; different quantities.

We shall see what the deal is when it opens up. I got a reservation this morning for Oct 18 at 7pm for dinner. Can have dinner, watch the fireworks and then head over to Epcot since it is open late that night for WDW guests. It will be a fun evening.

I have been on both decks and being a few yards closer really does not make a difference. I suppose one could complain about being able to see the other observation deck. It's not in the way of the show, but I can see complaints about having to see it from some who think it's more advantageous to not be able to see it, even though there is no actual blockage.

Celebration includes booze, restaurant does not. Big food is not all that preferable to small food, is it? It's just a different way to serve the food, since you can eat all the small plates you want.

Last edited:
Just curious: Why would the deck shown on the left provide a better view at the end; does it go up higher? They are both the same length. Plus, can you still hear the music just as well as by the building or do they have speakers all along the deck?

Because the closer you are to the building, the more of the other observation deck & guests you will have in your view. Here is a sample (photo from Mealtrip) where they are standing closer to building. Even on the other, restaurant, deck I try to go to the end especially if party fireworks because they are more expansive.

Plus of private deck is MUCH less people jockeying for a spot.

This photo (photo from EasyWDW) shot at end of private deck and you can see restaurant deck to left.

There are two decks to the south but rarely anyone goes out there. One has almost no view.

Haven't looked over the dinner menu does it include alcohol?

Not that I have seen.

I just went to look ...

The Celebration DINNER: 3 courses ***

The Celebration Private Party: Cocktails, Appetizers (fireworks on private deck) Dessert and Cordials

The limited number of people out on the private deck likely play into the price just like any Dessert Party, along with alcohol.

*** DINNER page is very confusing as it describes wine with your courses. My guess is you have to pay for those and it should not have been included on a prix fixe menu page.

"To complement their entrées, Guests 21 years of age and older can select from an extensive selection of hand-picked wines—most of which are from California. Sommeliers are on hand to offer pairing suggestions, as well as a guided 3-course wine pairing."

Last edited:

Remember that there is only so much space in the private rooms which means less people VS anyone who has dined in the restaurant from 5 PM on can come back for viewing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter