California Grill - Pre Fixe Menu?

kathi

DIS Veteran
I was very saddened to see that my beloved California Grill has switched to a pre fixe menu for the 50th. Has anyone tried it? (I saw the blog post - but looking for other perspectives.) We easily drop that much money (and more) when we visit, so it's not the price, it's the lack of options. Two of us are vegetarians and the menu offers very little in terms of options. Does anyone know if there is a separate vegetarian pre fixe menu? We plan to dine there in December, so I know the menu is likely to change a bit, but still worried about lack of vegetarian options. (And also just dislike pre fixe fine dining.) We are not going to the parks, and this is the night before our cruise, so seeing the fireworks may be worth the price of admission.

There have been a few reviews from people who have dined there since the change. Haven't see any reviews on the vegetarian options there by anyone.

We went there the night the prix-fixe menu debuted. We weren't impressed. I found the menu to be very limited and, while the food was good, service was incredibly slow (there was a mix-up initially and our server didn't know we were one of her tables, then we waited about an hour between our app and entree). The view is lovely, of course. We also ate at Citricos this past week and that menu and experience blew Cali Grill out of the water. The view certainly adds value, but $120 (which is about the total with tax and gratuity and no beverage) seems steep for a vegetarian meal. There is also a lovely, free, view from the 4th floor observation deck at CR if you don't want to pay the cost of Cali Grill.

The menu looks good and I don't think I would have trouble making a selection. However a dessert and appetizer is too much food for us and the price is steep.

Any word either way on whether it will stay Prix Fixe? I imagine they'll keep it that way to discourage the "riff-raff" (i.e. me) from heading up there and not spending the amount of money they want us to.

The official Disney website says that menu is for a 'limited time' but gives no end date. I assume they are waiting to see the response to see how long it continues. They probably have a set/fixed price menu to limit the number of people going there to eat dessert and see the fireworks. I assume they are expecting larger turnouts due to the 50th celebration as the main reason to make this change. Not many items on the menu we would like, so not a place we would eat.

How did they handle the menu previously for those just wanting to get a table to watch the fireworks? Seems like this isn't a new problem and would have been an issue in the past, but I don't recall what the older menu looked like.

I was very saddened to see that my beloved California Grill has switched to a pre fixe menu for the 50th. Has anyone tried it? (I saw the blog post - but looking for other perspectives.) We easily drop that much money (and more) when we visit, so it's not the price, it's the lack of options. Two of us are vegetarians and the menu offers very little in terms of options. Does anyone know if there is a separate vegetarian pre fixe menu? We plan to dine there in December, so I know the menu is likely to change a bit, but still worried about lack of vegetarian options. (And also just dislike pre fixe fine dining.) We are not going to the parks, and this is the night before our cruise, so seeing the fireworks may be worth the price of admission.

Princess and The Bear did a review of the vegan options on YouTube.

We really hate prefixed menus. We are not big eaters so it doesn’t sit well with us to have to pay $50-60 for a dinner. We will not be dining there. It’s a shame as it was a very nice place to eat before. At least there are many other good options for a table service meal. 😊

I’m in the minority, I guess, in that I don’t mind fixed price menus. With 2 teenage boys, it’s nice to know going in exactly what the price will be regardless of what they order. I have a thanksgiving week reservation and I’m hoping to love the new menu just as much as we loved the old. There seem to be plenty of choices available to make everyone in my family happy.

I just posted this on a recent review but since it's gone prix fixe and there's no flatbread other than duck and the ravioli is gone, we've decided it's just not worth the price point for us. I don't mind paying a high price or even having a prix fixe menu but this menu isn't worth the cost to us. We were planning on having multiple apps and dessert originally since that's what looked good to us. We've decided to go to Steakhouse 71 instead...much more our speed and the price is way better.

Where can find the cheese board that they used serve there? Any other WDW restaurants?

Where can find the cheese board that they used serve there? Any other WDW restaurants?
You can find cheese boards and charcuterie platters at WBG and most of the Enzo and Maria eateries, Tiffin, off the top of my head. Just do a search via allears.net for a full list.

Oh that is really disappointing. We are currently discussing restaurants for our trip next year and CG was at the top of our list. But I guess we are going to have to look at something else. I have teenage girls who will definitely not eat 3 courses and I generally like to order 2 or 3 appetisers here along with sushi.. And we love the ravioli. The Prix Fixe definitely does not work for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter