California Grill questions

Sonnyeclipse

Mouseketeer
So we are going to the California Grill for the first time in late April (2 of us). I have a 855 reservation with the fireworks starting at 9. My only other option is either 555 or 705 so have some questions as we would like to catch the fireworks while we are there.

Will it be frowned upon if we basically sit down (assuming we are seated on time) and go right outside to watch the fireworks?

If I book for 705, will the dinner take potentially enough time that I will still be there for the 900 fireworks, assuming we get appetizers and dessert? I'm just not sure how quick the service is.

I would choose the 7:05. If you’re not done your meal you can go out on the deck and come back. With an 8:55 reservation you might not be sat yet. With the 5:55 you would probably need to come back rather than camping at a table. It’s a fun experience! Enjoy

I've got a 6pm booking and plan to watch the fireworks at 8pm.

So I would say the 705 is a great time as by the time you're actually sat looked at the menu, get your three courses, then sort out the bill you will be just in time to watch the fireworks from the balcony.

Also they are set up for the fireworks so if you do have the 8.55 later booking they will assume that you want to see the fireworks; so won't mind if you just get seated and then pop out to watch.

Although I would suggest getting their a bit earlier to order some drinks from the bar so you can have a glass in hand while watching the fun.

Enjoy your meal :thumbsup2

With 8:55, chances are you would not be sat in time for a 9PM HEA.

I would also go with the 7:05 ADR, and if you finish your meal early, get a drink for after dinner and head out to the observation deck. Or, an even crazier idea, see if you can get a 9:30 ADR and watch HEA from MK and then walk over to CR. We like doing this option because we aren't impressed with the fireworks view from CG and the restaurant tends to be much quieter and relaxed after the fireworks are over.

We usually spend about 2 hours dining there. As others have posted, with an 8:55, you are almost guaranteed not to be seated yet.
Your options:
Keep the reservation, you can ask to go up to watch fireworks since you already have a reservation.
You can try checking in early, you might get lucky and seated sooner
Change to an earlier time. If you are done early, you can come back up to watch the fireworks. This would be my recommendation unless you like eating late (some do, its quieter).

We had the exact same situation during our Oct trip. I think our ADR was 8:50. We went ahead and got there about 8:30 and they took us on up and we were seated about 8:45. Our server came over and took our drink orders and told us the fireworks would be starting soon and where to go to see them. She then brought our drinks and at about 8:55, she told us the kitchen is used to holding off having food come up during the fireworks and shooed us outside to watch them.

So, to answer your question. Your server will EXPECT you to go out and watch.

I agree with the poster about seeing Happily ever after at the park. The projections are awesome on the castle!

I would take the 7:05. Also watching from the observation deck is WAY better than watching from your table even if you have a window seat. I find the reflections on the windows from the inside distracting and would prefer being outside. You probably won't be seated RIGHT at 7:05 anyway and 90 minutes is very common for dinner. perfect timing!

7:05 is perfect. We enjoy a slow paced meal there. They will help you pace your meal so that you can enjoy the show. You will probably enjoy the show between dinner and desert.

We've found that Cali Grill usually takes a while to seat people. We have always waited a good 30 min after our ADR time to be seated...and that's well before fireworks. The closer you get to fireworks, the more your wait usually increases. With your current ADR, you are not going to be seated in time. You'd be getting your buzzer and watching outside, and then coming back in to wait on your table. I'd take the 7:05 slot.

I’d keep the 855. Get there about 830, check in, head upstairs, grab a beverage and enjoy the view outside !

Thanks for all of the feedback. We are going to MK another night to watch the fireworks up close so we can see the projections but I figured why not see them from this vantage point as well while we are there.

Thanks for all of the feedback. We are going to MK another night to watch the fireworks up close so we can see the projections but I figured why not see them from this vantage point as well while we are there.

I have not seen HEA yet but from reports the pyro part of it is actually even better than Wishes (grudgingly admitted by Wishes fans) so even if you're missing the projections it's still a worthwhile show. just recommended you see from in park at some point ;) I'm planning both (a HEA cruise and from in park and maybe even from CA Grill as we have an ADR 2 hours before scheduled fireworks time too, which was kind of unintentional!)

When we were at Cali Grill last July when the fireworks start the restaurant's lights go down and the wait staff let people enjoy the show. Many of the people get up and go to the observation deck. Don't feel bad if you are just sat, they expect people to go and watch the fireworks. We're going again in two weeks during fireworks and cannot wait!

I would go with the 7:05 ADR. It takes about two hours to dine at California Grill and the timing for you will be perfect to cap off the evening watching the fireworks display from the comfort of your table.

Go with the 7:05 ressie. Just let your server know that you are going to watch the fireworks and they will time your meal just right. We were there at the beginning of June this year and there was a severe lightning storm that postponed the fireworks. We waited for an additional hour before making the decision to leave, but our server kept encouraging us to stay. We had a 7:20 reservation and didn't leave until about 10:30. And as luck would have it when we got on the bus back to our resort the fireworks went off (at 11:10). Oh well, C'est la vie! Cheers!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter