California Grill with 1 year old

LuvinDisney83

Mouseketeer
Am I crazy to take a 13 month old to California Grill? Will I be getting a major stink eye from the other patrons? I feel like that if she were to start to act up we could go outside on the observation deck and let her get a little energy out. Thoughts? TIA!

California Grill is the only Signature that I would describe as frenetic and loud. It's not quiet at all. Some guests regularly go back and forth to the deck from their table. I think your plan to take a walk with your little one is a good one, if you need to. Hope you have a nice time, the view is beautiful from up there.

Last edited:
We will be taking our son who just turned one to California Grill and a lot of other Signature restaurants during our upcoming trip in September. In addition to California Grill, we will be taking him to the Hollywood Brown Derby, Flying Fish, Citricos, Narcoossee's, and the Yachtsman. If anyone gives us the stink eye, we are just going to ignore it.

I generally think you're only going to get the "stink eye" from other guests if your little one starts to do things that impact other guests' dining experience (i.e., start to cry, throw food, run/crawl around the restaurant, etc.). The only real caution I would have is that a Signature dinner generally takes 1.5 to 2.0 hours, so that's a fair amount of time to try and keep a 13 month old contained and quiet. I agree that CA Grill is on the louder side, but it's not screaming, can't hear yourself think loud, so unexpected noises are noticeable.

I was at AP one time when there was a couple with a small child (probably about 1) and they ended up essentially eating solo because the child had to be taken out frequently, so one parent would take the child out and then the other would eat, then they'd switch off. It really didn't seem like a very fun meal because they didn't get to eat together. It was pretty much as if they were dining solo.

There were plenty of toddlers and babies last time we went. Well behaved, and adorable!!! As long as you don't let them sit there and cry or run around (which I don't think yours will be at that age?), then it shouldn't ruin anyone's evening.

When they cry and cry and scream and scream and Mom and Dad are oblivious to it.....I don't care if it's a hot dog stand, it's annoying!!!

Am I crazy to take a 13 month old to California Grill? Will I be getting a major stink eye from the other patrons? I feel like that if she were to start to act up we could go outside on the observation deck and let her get a little energy out. Thoughts? TIA!
I agree with figment_iii. There's nothing wrong with taking your child but will you get the enjoyment of the experience? Just so you're aware there is a Babysitting service on site that you can take advantage of if you care to.

The onsite babysitting services only take children who are 3 and above and there is no onsite childcare center at CR.

I have been to California Grill and have sat near 1 year olds that were perfect citizens and adults that acted like children. This is Disney and is meant for Kids to be Kids. We have left restaurants when my son was very young and we pushed him too far that day and we have stayed and enjoyed meals when he was better behaved. We typically eat at signature locations as we enjoy them more so we tried as best we could to make sure he was well rested and entertained through our meal.

My feeling is that people need to expect some level of noise when you are in Disney and learn to deal with it. On the same note, parents need to ensure that their kids are under control as well. If we all do our part, then it becomes much easier.

Enjoy your meal at Cali Grill

We were there a few months ago with a 3.5 yr old and a 6 month old and we didn't get any stink eye. We ordered an appetizer with our meals and it took a little over an hour total. Depending on how long you want to spend you can always let your server know not to wait too long between courses. Also, our server asked us if we wanted to have our son's meal brought out when it was ready and that worked out great for us. We are going back in a few months when they will be 4 and 1, but they are also used to eating out a few times a month.

I think that you just have to know your own child. Our son has been used to dining out with us since he was a few months old. I also know to keep some little quiet toys that he doesn't normally play with in our diaper bag. On the contrary, we have gone out to dinner with good friends of ours who have a son just a few months old and he has been a nightmare and doesn't understand the concept of sitting still at a table.

We are taking our son to WDW at just a little over 2.5 this summer, and the nights that we have nicer meals, I have planned in our schedule to have a quieter afternoon so that he isn't exhausted and cranky by the time we get to dinner. Perhaps you could do something similar the night you go to dinner there. As long as you and your husband are willing to recognize how to keep him happy enough not to disrupt those around you, I say go for it! Good luck and enjoy it!!!

I plan on taking my DD when we go for her 3rd birthday in 2016. You know your child best. Unless there is a problem disrupting them from their dining experience, you shouldn't get the stink-eye. And if they give it to you anyway, ignore them.

@Jayreen1282 I see you will be at POR in September. So will we for our 2YO DD's first visit. :)

I think it depends on the child. As long as you're willing to take a walk to prevent her from disturbing others you will be ok.

I would think that you would only get the stink eye if you weren't considerate of others but since you're willing to take her for a walk I don't think that you will have that problem.

I have been to California Grill and have sat near 1 year olds that were perfect citizens and adults that acted like children. This is Disney and is meant for Kids to be Kids. We have left restaurants when my son was very young and we pushed him too far that day and we have stayed and enjoyed meals when he was better behaved. We typically eat at signature locations as we enjoy them more so we tried as best we could to make sure he was well rested and entertained through our meal.

My feeling is that people need to expect some level of noise when you are in Disney and learn to deal with it. On the same note, parents need to ensure that their kids are under control as well. If we all do our part, then it becomes much easier.

Enjoy your meal at Cali Grill

I agree that at many, many places at WDW kids are expected to be kids. I do NOT agree that a Signature Restaurant is one of those places. It is an expensive night out for folks, and they have a right to expect a medicom of decorum.
To OP, CA Grille is also one of the louder Signature Restaurants. PP have given you good advice. You know your chid, heed the suggestion that (s)he is well rested that day and bring something to quietly entertain them. You will be fine
Enjoy

We took our son to a nice restaurant when he was 9 months and he behaved perfectly. I can't recall how much longer he would have been that calm in such an environment, but I'd guess until he started walking, around 14 mos. He will be a few weeks shy of 3 when we go, and as much as I want to eat at a signature, it just isn't in the cards.

IMO, I don't think you would get the stink eye, but I would think about how your child will act with regard to will you be able to enjoy a longer, and expensive, meal, without walking out to the observation deck, feeding her with one hand and yourself with the other, etc

My children have all been to California Grill on multiple occasions and at multiple ages from 6 months on.

Obviously a there is never any guarantee that a one year old will make it through a restaurant meal without making a stink, but I suspect that if you are aware enough of etiquette and manners to get an opinion on whether to bring the baby to dinner you are also aware enough to take the baby for a walk or, if push comes to shove and all else fails, get your meal wrapped up to go.

Enjoy. It is one of our favorites.

OK - there is NO Disney Owned Restaurant (aside from V&A) that is going to have any kind of problem with CHILDREN. They may be, in fact, the BEST places to introduce your children to Finer Dining. The STAFF is VERY patient - hey, it's DISNEY.

Now - having said all that...

This is one of those situations that you, as both a parent and an adult, must consider.... I'm the parent of FOUR grown children (lucky me - got 'em all through college :)). Sandy and I are retired now - in our 60's. And I'll tell you a secret.... Every Time we see a child in one of "our" Signature Restaurants? We smile :). Just us - but we think that's what Disney SHOULD be. We have seen 10 year olds, on a regular basis, that were better behaved and more thoughtful than some people in their '70's.

Now, having said THAT - yup, there is a price to pay :). WHEN one's child begins to do what children will do (act up).... take turns. YOU, or Hubby, should remove the child from the restaurant long enough for the child to calm down, so as not to create an issue for others. The process, done at the right time in a child's life, will begin to ingrain a sense of "this is not a playground" into the child. It takes time. It's something that was done to ME, from the middle '50's to the '60's. No yelling, no punishment - just "this is not correct". Did I mention - it takes time? Just like reading :).

Just an opinion, it's hard to do, my wife and I had to do just this for many years - balancing OUR life, and the lives of others. And there probably will be times you just don't want to DEAL with all this, and just want to have a nice dinner with the husband. Well, Disney has an answer for THAT as well :) They WILL provide you with babysitters :). Well, not free - but RELIABLE. Cheap & unreliable? Welllllll - I don't know many parents that will go for that one :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter