California Grill

swim-mom

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone - :goodvibes

Today I booked for the California Grill yesterday for 9pm, for 7 of us.

I have never been there before, but I know that wishes is at 9pm. Will they let me up to view them even if my table is not ready before hand??

What should I expect to pay, and what is the best food and what to avoid!

Thanks so much!

When I made our ADR for November (not at Thanksgiving), they suggested we make our reservation for 8pm. That way, we can request a window seat; and if there is going to be a wait for that seat, we definitely wouldn't miss the show. I would probably call back and try to get an earlier reservation time to guarantee. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think they would allow people in the restaurant just to view the fireworks if they're not seated.

When we went, you check in on the lobby level--you aren't even allowed up to the restaurant level until your table is ready.

We had an earlier reservation and it doesn't matter if you're seated near the window--they have a large outdoor balcony that a lot of people went out on to see the fireworks.

I would call and see if you are allowed up early to watch the fireworks...or simply make your reservation a little earlier.

As for the food, it was great...we tried a little of everything and nothing disappointed. Plan on a good $75 per person, if you have a drink with the meal. It wasn't cheap, but we enjoyed it!

Thank you so much!! I think I am going to cancel, I have 5 children with us 16 (our exchange student) 10,8, & 4 year old twins...................and I don't think they would enjoy it. BUT, we were going just because it was something new for us. We are paying cash and that is not the issue, but I wanted the view and the view is something we are not guarenteed to get.........so it may not be worth it!!

Thanks again for your help!!

They don't have a bar area to have a glass of wine while you wait for your table? That seems a little odd to me considering the number of wines they carry.

They do. But it's not a large area and as fireworks time nears, there aren't any seats.
Our trip last time we had ADR"s for 8:00. When we arrived, they were running 1/2 hour behind. They invited us to go on up and have a seat at the bar or lounge while we waited. We went up--and found NO seats at the bar or the lounge. In fact, we couldn't even get near the bar to order a drink!! We found two empty chairs which we placed up against a back wall and there we sat high and dry until our table was ready.
Swim-mom:
You do get the "view"--just no guarantee on a window table. And that last trip, CG was swarming with kids the age of yours.

They don't have a bar area to have a glass of wine while you wait for your table? That seems a little odd to me considering the number of wines they carry.

They do have a bar area but again they are strict about letting people up there. What a lot of people were doing is just going up there to the 'bar' really just to watch the fireworks and then leaving. People were also making ADR's and then just going up and leaving afterwards without having a meal. There is now a CC guarantee to hold the ressie and 2nd floor check in to try and stop people from 'cheating' the system. If your table is not ready you may or may not be allowed up. Luck of the draw I suppose. :goodvibes

Swim-mom:
You do get the "view"--just no guarantee on a window table. And that last trip, CG was swarming with kids the age of yours.

Thank you so much for reminding me that children DO go to CG!!! I am going to have DH look at the menu and see what he wants to do.

I will keep you posted!! :)

Again thank you!

When I made our ADR for November (not at Thanksgiving), they suggested we make our reservation for 8pm. That way, we can request a window seat; and if there is going to be a wait for that seat, we definitely wouldn't miss the show. I would probably call back and try to get an earlier reservation time to guarantee. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think they would allow people in the restaurant just to view the fireworks if they're not seated.

When we went in June, my DH and I had a 6:10pm ressie, but decided to check in at 5:30pm so we can sit at the bar and have a drink before our table would be ready. When we got our drink and decided to head outside to the viewing balcany, our buzzer went off and was seated at a window seat. After our dinner, our waiter said that since we had already eaten there, to save the receipt and come back up for Wishes...which we did. That had to of been the most magical night of my DH and my life, besides the night that we got married.

Not to hijack this thread, but we have a 5:30pm ADR for 7, Wishes are at 6pm. Would we be able to request a window table, or do they not have any tables by the windows to fit our party or 7. I am assuming we are there as the restaurant opens. If we get there 10-15 early, do you think we'll have much of a wait?

Not to hijack this thread, but we have a 5:30pm ADR for 7, Wishes are at 6pm. Would we be able to request a window table, or do they not have any tables by the windows to fit our party or 7. I am assuming we are there as the restaurant opens. If we get there 10-15 early, do you think we'll have much of a wait?

I hope you get an answer. I asked a very similar question last week and received 0 responses.

I don't think people can really tell you if you will have to wait or not...perhaps that is why no responses? One experience that someone has does not necessarily mean anyone else will have it.

That is the first seating. I would think that you would be fine especially arriving early. I am not sure if they have any tables for 7 by the window. We are a party of two and have always sat by the window. Most people don't watch from the tables... they head out to the observation deck where the music is piped in and you can see the whole 'picture' HTH :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter