California, Here We Come! DLR, Hollywood, and San Diego *OCTOBER 15-23, 2011*

In Balboa Park we rode on the free tram that takes you to the different Balboa Park attractions. Balboa Park is quite impressive with 15 museums, restaurants, the zoo, gardens, and hiking and biking trails.

California2011046-2.jpg

California2011047-2.jpg

California2011048-2.jpg

California2011049-2.jpg

California2011050-2.jpg

California2011051-2.jpg

California2011052-1.jpg

California2011053-2.jpg

California2011054-2.jpg

California2011055-2.jpg

California2011058-2.jpg

California2011059-2.jpg

I would have loved the chance to see and hear an organ concert at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion. There are free concerts every Sunday afternoon.

California2011061-2.jpg

California2011062-2.jpg

We were all starving at this point, so we hopped back on the trolley. We almost got off at the stop for Little Italy, but we all had Mexican food on the brain. Soon we arrived in Old Town San Diego. We walked along San Diego Avenue and decided to give Café Coyote a try. We really enjoyed our lunch and after one of their margaritas it was a good thing we had a ride!

California2011063-2.jpg

California2011064-2.jpg

California2011067-2.jpg

After our big lunch we decided we needed to walk around for a while. We also did a bit of shopping before getting back on the trolley.

California2011068-2.jpg

California2011069-2.jpg

California2011070-2.jpg

California2011071-2.jpg

California2011072-2.jpg

Continued in the next post.

Stu had been talking to his friend Greg throughout the day to make plans to get together with him and his family one more time. It was decided that we would meet up with them at Seaport Village. They had been in San Diego for almost two years, but they had never been to Seaport Village. They would be moving to Japan due to a transfer in January, so they I think they had a good time being tourists with us. While we were waiting for them we did some more shopping and exploring along the water front.

California2011073-2.jpg

California2011074-2.jpg

We decided that we would have an early supper together at The Fish Market, so started to make our way in that direction. Along the way there are several memorials. We first came across the USS San Diego Memorial.

California2011075-2.jpg

California2011076-2.jpg

“Unconditional Surrender” The statue is an interpretation of a photo taken of a Sailor kissing a nurse in Times Square, New York City on Aug. 14, 1945, following the announcement of V-J Day.

California2011081-2.jpg

California2011087-2.jpg

California2011088-2.jpg

"A National Salute to Bob Hope and the Military” There are 15 life-sized bronze statues that arranged as if they are attending a Bob Hope show. Each figure represents a serviceman from a different conflict.

California2011082-2.jpg

California2011083-2.jpg

California2011084-2.jpg

California2011085-2.jpg

California2011086-2.jpg

As if these memorials weren’t impressive enough, in the background was the USS Midway.

California2011077-2.jpg

California2011078-2.jpg

California2011079-2.jpg

The kids had a great time climbing the trees along the way.

California2011089-2.jpg

California2011090-2.jpg

California2011091-2.jpg

California2011092-2.jpg

California2011093-1.jpg

California2011094-1.jpg

Since we were having an early meal we didn’t have any wait at the Fish Market. The food was great and the company was even better. The girls had a great time making a new friend with Greg’s daughter.

California2011096-1.jpg

After dinner we decided that we would all go back to the hotel. Sandy said she would be willing to hang out in the room with the three girls while we went for drinks with Greg and his wife. It was an absolutely perfect way to wrap up an excellent vacation.

Up next: Top moments and final thoughts

im loving this trip report.popcorn:: looks like you all had a blast!

I am glad that you are enjoying it and thanks for taking the time to post! We really did have a fantastic time in Southern California. I was even getting a little teary today when I was writing these last few posts and remembering just how great our stay was.

It looks like you guys had a great vacation!

I don't like going over big bridges either. Going over large bodies of water makes me panic. I always think my car is going to fall in:blush:

The Hotel Coronado really reminds me of the Grand Floridian.

Your family pictures on the beach turned out great. Thats good you got Stu to agree to everyone wearing the same color!

That house you took a picture of is beautiful! When I win the lottery I want one just like. Palm trees and all:laughing:

After I posted this I saw the thumbs down sign on here. I don't know how I did that and now I can't get rid of it UGH!

It looks like you guys had a great vacation!

I don't like going over big bridges either. Going over large bodies of water makes me panic. I always think my car is going to fall in:blush:

The Hotel Coronado really reminds me of the Grand Floridian.

Your family pictures on the beach turned out great. Thats good you got Stu to agree to everyone wearing the same color!

That house you took a picture of is beautiful! When I win the lottery I want one just like. Palm trees and all:laughing:

After I posted this I saw the thumbs down sign on here. I don't know how I did that and now I can't get rid of it UGH!

I am with you on thinking the car is going to fall in while crossing over water. The trolley was freaky because you a bit elevated, so you were looking right over the edge of the bridge. It still makes by heart race just thinking about it!

The Hotel del was one of the hotels that the Grand Floridian was modeled after. There are definitely some strong resemblances.

Stu can be a stinker, but I knew he would come around. He likes to think he is tough, but he has a hard time saying no to any of us. :lovestruc

That house that we saw was fantastic. The driver told a story about it, but I can't quite remember how it went. I think that the house was moved to Coronado and it is the only Victorian out there, but don't quote me on that! It would be one of my first purchases after a lottery win too.

Looking for your final thoughts!!! We are headed to CA in two months and working on final plans. I appreciate the ideas I was able to get from your report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter