California, Here We Come! DLR, Hollywood, and San Diego *OCTOBER 15-23, 2011*

Oh wow, look at the pretty costumes! Very nice. I have always wanted to go to Sea World but we have never been able to fit it into our Disney schedule. :) Maybe next trip, I'll make a point to do so!

I loved it!! I haven't been to Sea World in years. Anyway, the girls would like Legoland if you go next time.

I'm glad you liked it! We really enjoyed ourselves at the Blue Horizons show. I bet the girls would have loved Legoland, but we just didn't have enough time to see everything that we would have liked to.

what day of the week did you head to San DIego? We are supposed to leave for san diego on a Friday morning. Wasn't sure if we would be better off leaving mid morning to avoid traffic. We are going to the zoo that day and wanted to be there earlier but didnt want to sit in rush hour traffic all morning instead!
WOuld also love to know where you stayed in San DIego! Cannot figure out where to reserve there. We only have two days so want to be in a good location.
Love your report and thanks for any suggestions you have!
Tessie

The morning we left for San Diego was a Thursday. The biggest thing I stressed about going into our trip was traffic, but we were fortunate to never have an issue the whole trip. We used the car pool lanes when they were available and we sailed right along. When we left Anaheim we were going in the opposite direction of those that were headed to LA and by the time we arrived in San Diego the rush hour traffic into the city wasn't too bad.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside in San Diego. It is located on North Harbor Drive. This was another hotel that I used the Entertainment Rate and we got the hotel for $74.50 a night. We are also priority club members so we received some free drink tickets for the lounge or the restaurant. We found the location to work out well for us. I would say it was about 10 minutes from Sea World, but it was only about 10 minutes to downtown San Diego as well. It is also super close to the airport. They had a restaurant on-site that we ate breakfast at one morning. There is also a pool and a 9-hole putting green. The hotel is not right on the water, but it is across the street from a marina. It is not the newest hotel, but it served us well. I didn't get any pictures of the inside of our room, but here are a couple of pictures from our balcony.

In this first picture you can see the putting greens just below our room.

California2011104-1.jpg

The next photo is of the pool area.

California2011105-1.jpg

The next picture is looking off to the right of the pool area. You are able to see the balcony areas in the building next to ours.

California2011107-1.jpg

The last picture shows you the marina that is across the street from the hotel.

California2011106-1.jpg

I got a little long-winded, but hopefully it helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Oh wow, look at the pretty costumes! Very nice. I have always wanted to go to Sea World but we have never been able to fit it into our Disney schedule. :) Maybe next trip, I'll make a point to do so!

The colors were just beautiful! We really made a point to see Sea World in San Diego because we just focus so much on WDW when we are in Florida. I am glad we took the time and we ended up really enjoying ourselves!

Wow! Thank you for your very detailed answer! I truly appreciate it. I will look into that hotel. Can't wait to read about the rest of your time in San Diego!

After the Blue Horizons show we decided that we wanted to see the Pets Rule show at 2:00. We made our way to the theater and got settled in our seats. We noticed that the young woman behind us had a sweat shirt on from a college that is near us back home. We started chatting with her and her parents. We found out that she was stationed in San Diego and was in the Navy. Her parents were visiting her and lived in a town near where we used to live when Erin was born. It was our "Small World" moment for the day.

I really thought that the girls would be the ones that enjoyed the Pets Rule show, but I ended up loving it! It features animals that have been rescued such as dogs, cats, birds, and even pigs!

California2011113.jpg

In this next picture the premise is that the two dogs are on a date. So cute.

California2011114.jpg

The next segment showed the different animals participating in different sports.

California2011115.jpg

California2011116.jpg

California2011117.jpg

To see a cat performing tricks was pretty cool.

California2011118.jpg

I am a total sucker for animals, so to see this rescued animals get a second chance warms my heart. If you have the time, I would definitely suggest trying to catch this cute show.

California2011119.jpg

California2011120.jpg

Up next: One Ocean

After the Pets Rule we needed to quickly make our way to Shamu Stadium for the showing of One Ocean at 2:45. By the time we made our way in the areas out of the splash zone were pretty full. We ended up near the top and I was fine with that. It wasn't warm enough for my taste to get soaked by the killer whales!

These are truly amazing creatures!

California2011121.jpg

California2011122.jpg

California2011123.jpg

California2011124.jpg

California2011126.jpg

California2011127.jpg

California2011128.jpg

California2011129.jpg

California2011130.jpg

California2011131.jpg

There was a group of young people that sat in one of the front sections. They were having an absolute blast getting soaked by the whales. I sure was glad it was them and not me!

California2011132.jpg

California2011133.jpg

We were near the top of the stadium, so it was easy for us to make an early exit without disturbing anyone. We decided to get on jump on the crowd that would all be leaving at the same time. There were a few more things on our list before our day at Sea World was over!

We decided to leave the killer whale show early because there was a lot of things that we still wanted to do. We figured if we could get ahead of the crowds leaving Shamu Stadium it would help us get more done. Stu really wanted to ride the Bayside Skyride. Sandy wasn't so sure about this idea, but in the end she decided to join us. Unfortunately is was an overcast day, but we still had a great view of Mission Bay and the backside of Sea World. Stu and Erin got on first with the camera.

California2011134.jpg

California2011135.jpg

California2011136.jpg

California2011137.jpg

California2011138.jpg

California2011139.jpg

California2011140.jpg

Stu was able to catch a couple of pictures of Sandy, Ava, and I as we went by.

California2011141.jpg

California2011142.jpg

It looks like Erin was enjoying the view.

California2011144.jpg

California2011145.jpg

California2011146.jpg

In the end Sandy ended up admitting that she enjoyed the ride. I was glad that we went when we did because as we got off the crowds were coming.

Up next: Sesame Street Bay of Play

It was finally time to head to an area that the girls had been looking forward to all day-Sesame Street Bay of Play!

California2011147.jpg

There was an enormous play structure for the kids to play in. It was so big that I felt like we would never see the kids again if we let them off by themselves, so Stu was kind enough to join them.

California2011148.jpg

California2011149.jpg

California2011150.jpg

They had been playing for about 15 minutes when Stu suddenly came blazing by me practically dragging the girls along. I asked him what was going on and he replied that there was something he needed to see around the corner. It is hard for me to describe just how Stu was acting, but he was definitely giddy about something. As I came around the corner it only took me a moment to figure out what was happening-it was The Count! Stu's favorite character from Sesame Street has always been The Count. Back when he was a kid he had asked for a stuffed Count for Christmas and Sandy was never able to find one. I honestly don't think he has really gotten over it! The Count was pretty excited to find out that he had such a fan in Stu. :rotfl: It was a pretty cute moment for Sandy and I to witness. Stu can be such a serious guy, but it was fun to see him let go and enjoy the moment.

California2011152.jpg

California2011153.jpg

California2011154.jpg

California2011155.jpg

California2011156.jpg

This picture just cracks me up!

California2011158.jpg

California2011159.jpg

After the big meet the girls decided that they would like to go on a couple of rides before Sea World closed for the day.

California2011161.jpg

California2011164.jpg

California2011166.jpg

California2011171.jpg

California2011172.jpg

California2011179.jpg

California2011183.jpg

It was close to the 5 o'clock closing time, but we had time to get just a few more pictures on our way out. The girls were in the mood to "model."

California2011189.jpg

California2011191.jpg

California2011192.jpg

California2011193.jpg

California2011199.jpg

We left Sea World and decided to make our way towards the area that our hotel would be. We decided that we were hungry for pizza and used the GPS to find that Pizza Nova was just across Harbor Drive from our hotel. We had some tasty wood-fired pizzas before heading to the Holiday Inn Bayside for some well deserved rest.

Up next: Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego

I have enjoyed reading your trip report and peeking in on your vacation. You did a wonderful job recapping your days and the pictures are wonderful!!!

Thank you for sharing :-)

I have enjoyed reading your trip report and peeking in on your vacation. You did a wonderful job recapping your days and the pictures are wonderful!!!

Thank you for sharing :-)

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the kind comments! It has been a lot of fun reliving our trip while creating this report.

How funny about Stu and the count! That is priceless. :laughing:

It truly was priceless! It was so fun that he got to meet a character that has been an "idol" of his for many years.

On Friday morning we got up not knowing if we would be able to attend the next activity on our list or not. Stu served in the United States Marine Corp from 1989-1993. He went through boot camp at Marine Corp Recruit Depot (MCRD) in San Diego. From our research on-line we found that there would be a graduation ceremony this morning. During one of the phone calls Stuart made he was told that we would for sure be able to get on base to see the Marine Corp Museum. We decided to head over to MCRD to at least see the museum and if we were allowed to attend the graduation ceremony it would be even better. Stu had also been in contact with a Marine Corp buddy, Greg, who was currently living in San Diego. He was able to get on base because of his wife’s status as an officer in the Navy and he told us that he would be able to meet us that morning.

Our hotel was only a few minutes from MCRD and we arrived at the security hut that allowed you access to the museum. They told us that they couldn’t let us through that gate at that time. They told us we would need to go through the security area where everyone that was attending the graduation was going through. We proceeded to turn around and get in the line of cars that were waiting for security. We ended up waiting in a line of vehicles about the length of three football fields for one hour, but we were allowed to attend the ceremony! Stu was pretty pumped that we would be able to see the ceremony. Back when Stu graduated Sandy was not able to attend due to distance and cost, so she was also excited to see something that was so important to Stu. This is not a typical tourist stop, but I hope you enjoy our pictures from the Marine Corp Recruit Depot San Diego!

California2011001-1.jpg

We found a parking spot and hustled our way towards the seating area. Stu was having the time of his life snapping pictures as he went. It definitely brought up a lot of memories for him. One of the first things we saw was the Drill Instructors Creed.

California2011002-1.jpg

California2011003-1.jpg

In this next picture you are able to see the signature yellow barracks. In the background are the sinks and racks for hanging clothes when they do their laundry with laundry soap and a brush on Sundays.

California2011004-1.jpg

In this next picture we are walking on the backside of the bleachers that are overlooking the parade deck. You could just feel the excitement of the friends and family that haven’t seen their recruit in 3+ months.

California2011008-1.jpg

Each section had a sign indicating a platoon number that was graduating that day. This allowed people to know which section their recruit would be in front of. When the Marine recruits are let go, the platoon will be in front of that section.

California2011009-1.jpg

Each level of the barracks is a different platoon.

California2011011-1.jpg

This is the parade deck that they would be marching on to shortly.

California2011012-1.jpg

When we were looking through these pictures I wasn’t sure what Stu was taking a picture of. He told me that it was of the airplane in the sky. He told me that they called them “Freedom Birds” while they were in boot camp. He said that it was hard knowing that the airport was literally ‘right there’ while they were struggling their way through boot camp.

California2011014-1.jpg

We decided to sit at the far end of the bleachers, so we weren’t taking any space away from the recruits loved ones. They were all anxiously awaiting their arrival.

California2011018-1.jpg

This next picture is of a Drill Instructor that just happened to be walking past. I am just a sucker for a man in uniform!

California2011020-1.jpg

The Marine Corp band came out to entertain the crowd.

California2011027-1.jpg

California2011028-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the Marine Corp bulldog mascot nicknamed “Chesty Puller.” Chesty Puller was the most decorated Marine in USMC history. He served during World War II and the Korean War.

California2011029-1.jpg

Continued in the next post.

The recruits and Senior Drill Instructors are getting staged.

California2011030-1.jpg

The men are moving in from the staging area.

California2011034-1.jpg

They are now saluting the Company Commander.

California2011037-1.jpg

The Senior Drill Instructors are joining their platoons and the colors are coming out.

California2011038-1.jpg

The Company Commander.

California2011039-1.jpg

The ceremony of it all was amazing to take in.

California2011042-1.jpg

At this point Stu’s buddy Greg arrived. We hadn’t seen him for about 5 years, so needless to see they were excited to have the opportunity to see each other.

California2011044-1.jpg

At this point in the ceremony the band began the parade and is getting in position for ‘Pass in Review’. Pass in Review is where the VIPs and spectators can view the Marines march by.

California2011046-1.jpg

Each group of men is a platoon. The Marine carrying the sword in this picture is the Company Commander. He is in charge of managing 3-4 platoons and he is an Officer in the Marine Corp.

California2011048-1.jpg

The Marine in the dress blues is the guide. The guide is a recruit that showed exemplary leadership skills during boot camp and was hand-picked by the Drill Instructors to assist in leading the platoon.

California2011049-1.jpg

California2011050-1.jpg

California2011051-1.jpg

California2011052.jpg

California2011053-1.jpg

California2011054-1.jpg

Here are a couple of the Drill Instructors. They wear the “Smokey the Bear” hats.

California2011056-1.jpg

California2011061-1.jpg

United States Marines

California2011057-1.jpg

Continued in the next post.

Passing of the colors.

California2011059-1.jpg

One of the guides.

California2011060-1.jpg

The Drill Instructor with the sword is a Senior Drill Instructor.

California2011062-1.jpg

Pass in Review. I have to say that I was very impressed.

California2011063-1.jpg

California2011064-1.jpg

They are “almost there.”

California2011065-1.jpg

Completing the Pass in Review. The families were definitely anxious at this point. Most likely they are able to see their Marine in front of them.

California2011066-1.jpg

Retiring the Guide-ons (The red flag that has each platoons number on it).

California2011068-1.jpg

This is it… This is the end… This is the moment they have been waiting for since they placed their feet on the yellow footprints 3+ months ago. A lot of pain, sweat, tears, and hard work have led them to this moment…

The Senior Drill Instructor yells, “PLATOON… ####, DIS-MISSED!”

California2011071-1.jpg

They take one step forward,

California2011072-1.jpg

about face and take two steps to the rear.

California2011073-1.jpg

The rush is on for families to get their hands on their Marine.

California2011074-1.jpg

Very happy people.

California2011075-1.jpg

It only took about 10 seconds for the scene to look like this-

California2011076-1.jpg

Since we didn’t have anyone to greet, we decided to enjoy our surroundings. This is a view of the hillsides of San Diego from the parade deck.

California2011082-1.jpg

The United States flag flying over the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego

California2011083-1.jpg

Not as lean, not as mean, but still Marines. You may have seen the phrase before – “Once a Marine, always a Marine.”

California2011080-1.jpg

California2011084-1.jpg

Sandy and I had such a great time seeing into this part of Stu’s life. You can hear stories a thousand times, but there is nothing like seeing it for yourself.

California2011078-1.jpg

As we walked away we got one more picture of the families with their Marines. They are free to leave, but they will need to report in 10 days to their new duty station.

California2011088-1.jpg

After the graduation we decided to make our way to the Exchange to get some Marine Corp merchandise. Stu was like a kid in a candy store looking at all of the items that they had to offer. Along the way we walked down the signature yellow hallways.

California2011090-1.jpg

California2011091-1.jpg

After we were all newly outfitted at the Exchange we decided to make our way to the bowling alley on base for some lunch. We had a great time catching up with Greg over some pretty tasty burgers and fries. It was pretty cool to sit back and listen to Greg and Stu’s stories from their Marine Corp days.

I know that this wouldn’t be a typical stop for a tourist in San Diego, but I am so glad that we took the time to do it. Stu couldn’t help but picture himself in their boots – 22 years earlier. He talked about the pride that came with making it to that point.

One of his fondest memories of boot camp (there are some he says) is the Sunday before the Marines graduate. The whole company marched down to the Theater at the end of the parade deck and lined up on the steps and sang the Marine Corps Hymn. It starts low and controlled with 200 voices – “From the Halls of Montezuma….” and finishes with “… if the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven’s scenes. They will find the streets are guarded by UNITED STATES MARINES!!!!”

OORAH!

Up next: Cabrillo National Monument

Oh wow!! The graduation ceremony looks and sounds amazing. I can feel the family excitement in your pictures. Awesome opportunity! :goodvibes

It sounds like a great day a Sea World! You saw a lot of shows! Thats so cool that Stu got to meet his "hero" the Count! Thats great he was so excited about it.

The view from your hotel room was very pretty.

I thought the MCRD part was very interesting. I got a tear in my eye when they were dismissed. Again it was great for Stu to get to see that and meet up with an old friend.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter