Call me "May"-be - Planning a Disney trip in a "limbo" time period

GardenMom

Earning My Ears
We are trying to make lemons into lemonades. We planned our trip for April 30 - May 7th. Initially, we picked this time of year due to low crowds, decent weather and the chance to see EF&G for the first time. We were also excited that FEA and ROL were originally scheduled to open by May 1st. Then we found out a bunch of attractions at HS were closing as well, in addition to Soarin' at Epcot. Now we are hearing about all this awesome stuff coming "this summer" and it seems like we picked a time "in limbo".

So, ho-hum, what else can you do but find other fun things to do. We have cut out AK all together, and have booked 2 days at the Water Parks. We are just planning on more pool time and checking out the new Star Wars Launch Bay and Fireworks.

What else are all you other early "May"-be trippers doing?

We feel the same way - it seems like we're going right before all of the new attractions come out. But, maybe less crowds will be worth it!
We also have 2 waterpark days booked, but they're one of my favorite things to do anyway, so I'm okay with that! We're looking forward to new fantasyland at MK because it was under construction when we were there last. We're looking forward to eating at BOG as well! We're excited about Olaf possibly being at HS while we're there. We may also check out Disney Springs since we've never been there before.

I'm sorry, but you are there for a week and cutting out Animal Kingdom, the most detailed and slow-paced parks in the bunch, out completely? You can still get plenty of pool/water park time and hit up AK at least once.

We'll be there May 4-9. I'll admit, when I watched the AK preview videos today I was a little sad we'll miss the new additions there, but not enough to change any park plans. It's WDW - there's plenty to do!

We'll be there the same week as you! I completely hear you about all the exciting things May was supposed to have but now doesn't. It is frustrating. I'm most sad about ROL and FEA. We will not even get SW fireworks because we don't have hoppers and our HS day wasn't one of the charmed ones. Part of me feels like this is the price to pay for going at a slower time - Disney doesn't care as much because there aren't as many people there (kind of like Jan/Feb is refurb and pool closing time).

That said this year will be the first time the kids will go to DHS so there is still a lot new to them. Also, my son is ridiculously excited ... To ride the ronomail (monorail). We will still have fun. Hubby keeps saying that I am the only one who knows what we're missing. And I will still have a good time. We also haven't been enough that I understand the idea of 'getting everything done'. IASW and TLSW are in my touring plan 4 times each (hey, the kids love them!). We have not gotten sick of anything yet. We have a few one and dones but mostly WDW is still magical.

Maybe try to find at least a couple of things you've never done before (there are new things at Disney Springs, right) or things around the resort. Just plan to enjoy being there and try not to think about what might have been.

We'll be there the same week as you! I completely hear you about all the exciting things May was supposed to have but now doesn't. It is frustrating. I'm most sad about ROL and FEA. We will not even get SW fireworks because we don't have hoppers and our HS day wasn't one of the charmed ones. Part of me feels like this is the price to pay for going at a slower time - Disney doesn't care as much because there aren't as many people there (kind of like Jan/Feb is refurb and pool closing time).

That said this year will be the first time the kids will go to DHS so there is still a lot new to them. Also, my son is ridiculously excited ... To ride the ronomail (monorail). We will still have fun. Hubby keeps saying that I am the only one who knows what we're missing. And I will still have a good time. We also haven't been enough that I understand the idea of 'getting everything done'. IASW and TLSW are in my touring plan 4 times each (hey, the kids love them!). We have not gotten sick of anything yet. We have a few one and dones but mostly WDW is still magical.

Maybe try to find at least a couple of things you've never done before (there are new things at Disney Springs, right) or things around the resort. Just plan to enjoy being there and try not to think about what might have been.

You might consider going to HS on a night for the fireworks and standing just outside the park entrance. I feel like you'll be close enough for the music to carry and you won't have to actually 'hop' inside. At the least you'll have one of those jury-rigged family memories people like to make :)

We are there over the same time period... I am really not disappointed. I feel like being there right as all of the new attractions open might actually be horrible. Imagine everyone trying to see the same 3-4 things. I am looking forward to a nice relaxing adults only trip... lower crowds, pool time, water parks, early mornings and late nights. There is still plenty to enjoy - take the time to explore and try new things, you might find some new favorites!! Have a great trip!

I'll be there May 21-24 and hitting one park per day. Even though I've been to WDW countless times, I'm bringing two first-timers with me on this trip, as well as one who has only been once to MK and once to AK, so I'll have lots of fun with them. Was I disappointed when I realized Soarin' won't be re-opened yet? Yep. Was I disappointed when I found out Frozen Ever After wouldn't be up and running yet? Absolutely. But I'm not going to let a little disappointment ruin my vacation. I love WDW, with or without the things that will be opening/re-opening this summer. I look at it this way...any trip to WDW is better than being at home/work :)

We are there over the same time period... I am really not disappointed. I feel like being there right as all of the new attractions open might actually be horrible. Imagine everyone trying to see the same 3-4 things. I am looking forward to a nice relaxing adults only trip... lower crowds, pool time, water parks, early mornings and late nights. There is still plenty to enjoy - take the time to explore and try new things, you might find some new favorites!! Have a great trip!

Completely agree with you. Going May 21-27 so was a bit disappointed to see we will miss the nighttime AK by a day...but more I thought about it more I realized it'll probably be a madhouse so better off for it lol. On the upside I get my Star Wars fireworks!! Plus DH's first time ever so everything will be new to him and seeing the expressions on his face will make it all worth it!

Going May 8-15, I have the same situation. Originally thought we would hit SW weekend. Then hoping for Norway re-opening or Soarin', but certainly we would see all the new AK nighttime offerings. Oh well.

Glad I am going back in October. :flower:

Happy: "old" SW fireworks are still new to us, never been to Epcot F&G, my fave BTMRR refurb is postponed, BOG and SDMT are new to us, relatively lower crowds (fingers crossed, pls let this be true!)
Little bummed: no Soarin
Not sad: Frankly, not too sad, now don"t have to figure out which day to go back over to AK for ROL if it's not happening
Also the Frozen thing will be swamped for awhile when it does open, so no rush for us

Still plenty of things to do and see!

I will be there the week after you. For weeks I was waiting for news on AK evening hours and when Rivers of Light FP would become available, only to learn that this had been delayed. Although I really want to experience AK at night, I have to admit that I'm not completely disappointed. Hopefully, I will have a lot more WDW vacations and will get to enjoy all of the new attractions then. It seems like there is always something new scheduled to open shortly after I leave, so I suppose I'm used to this! There is still so much to do and I'm always able to work in restaurants, attractions, and other experiences that are new to me.

We are a little bit bummed about Tiffins and RoL night being open the way we were expecting. My only real regret is that I spent so much time checking and re-checking for RoL dining packages. We have a TH PPO ADR, so now instead of wondering around AK all day, we are free to head back to our resort and spend a little extra time by the pool before heading to BC for CM dinner and a night time walk on the Boardwalk (and maybe JRs), which is perfectly fine with me.

We will miss not being able to do Soarin' but aren't too heartbroken about missing the Frozen ride (which at the time we booked was scheduled to be opening while we were there), but we will finally do Behind the Seeds and might spend more time checking out F&G (instead of just checking out the food kiosks).

We are happy that the night we have a F! dining package will also have a Symphony in the Stars showing. While not SW fans (sorry, I just don't get the hoopla), my DW is a big John Williams fan, so she is looking forward to that.

We always like to have a few new experiences at WDW, along with repeating the favorites. Whatever we were expecting to experience for the first time this trip but for whatever reasons we can't, they will be new experiences next time.

Yup, this exactly! If all the new stuff we're going to be open, I'd feel pressure to see and do it all. This way, we can just enjoy all the other great stuff that's there, and know that we'll be back sometime in the future to see the new stuff.

I'm sorry, but you are there for a week and cutting out Animal Kingdom, the most detailed and slow-paced parks in the bunch, out completely? You can still get plenty of pool/water park time and hit up AK at least once.
Unfortunately, the water parks close at 5 pm, and AK closes at 6 pm every day we are there. We may try and cut one of our water park days short, to go to AK for 2 hours, but we will play that by ear. 2 days at MK (one RD through early afternoon, one afternoon through evening entertainment0, 1 day at EP, 1 day at HS, 2 days at TL & BB, and maybe a few hours before we catch our flight home. We don't want to overschedule, so most of our park days are 1/2 days. DD6 has anxiety and sensory disorder, so we have to plan in a lot of down time. AK isn't going anywhere, so if we don't hit it this trip, we will try for next year when all the evening entertainment is opened.

Completely agree with you. Going May 21-27 so was a bit disappointed to see we will miss the nighttime AK by a day...but more I thought about it more I realized it'll probably be a madhouse so better off for it lol. On the upside I get my Star Wars fireworks!! Plus DH's first time ever so everything will be new to him and seeing the expressions on his face will make it all worth it!
This!

I was also worried if all the new stuff opened when we were there, it may be mobbed. We unintentionally planned our first family trip for early Dec 2012 when a section of new Fantasyland was opened up and I think MK was more crowded than it would "normally" be.

Quick question for anyone who's gone in May. Will be there 21-27...what is the weather normally like? Will we be getting poured on all week? lol...looked at weather but still a ways out so who knows what will happen...just asking for what people have usually noticed at that time. Also, think crowds may not be so bad since that's the week before everyone comes out for Memorial Day? Thanks in advance!!

PS: Magic bands came yesterday so excitement level is through the roof now! May 21 can't come soon enough!! :tongue:

We will be there the week of May 8th. I am disappointed things did not open on time , but I am not changing my strategy. We love AK as is! the new stuff will only enhance it. I am looking forward to lower crowds for sure!

Quick question for anyone who's gone in May. Will be there 21-27...what is the weather normally like? Will we be getting poured on all week? lol...looked at weather but still a ways out so who knows what will happen...just asking for what people have usually noticed at that time. Also, think crowds may not be so bad since that's the week before everyone comes out for Memorial Day? Thanks in advance!!

PS: Magic bands came yesterday so excitement level is through the roof now! May 21 can't come soon enough!! :tongue:

It definitely rains in May and it will be hot. Most of the rainstorms pass quickly. You can wait it out and a lot of people will leave the parks. It is great when that happens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter