Call the Midwife

I love this show so much!!!! It's a comfort show. One I could watch again and again. I can't wait until March for the new season to be released here in the US!

If you are wanting more of the stories after you've seen all of the seasons, I highly recommend the Call the Midwife books by Jennifer Worth. There are 3 that she wrote and they are fantastic too. The early seasons mirror a lot of what she wrote and the same kind of vibes. I think there was a change in season 4 and things got a little brighter after Jenny left so be prepared for a difference in tone but they are great.

Val is my favorite midwife (after Trixie of course!) and I loved the character development she went through.

I love this show so much!!!! It's a comfort show. One I could watch again and again. I can't wait until March for the new season to be released here in the US!

If you are wanting more of the stories after you've seen all of the seasons, I highly recommend the Call the Midwife books by Jennifer Worth. There are 3 that she wrote and they are fantastic too. The early seasons mirror a lot of what she wrote and the same kind of vibes. I think there was a change in season 4 and things got a little brighter after Jenny left so be prepared for a difference in tone but they are great.

Val is my favorite midwife (after Trixie of course!) and I loved the character development she went through.
I also like dr. Turner. He’s so kind. I wish all doctors could be like him.

Anywhere to stream for free? Seems like I have so many streaming services but still end up having to pay.
PBS Passport isn't free, but it's only $5/month and gives you access to old shows and sometimes access to entire seasons at once. For example, we got all episodes of the new season of All Creatures Great And Small the first day. Worst case scenario, you pay $5 to binge all of the seasons and then cancel.

Last edited:

I watched the first episode of season 13 on my phone because I missed it on pbs. Got the tv set to record Sunday’s episode.

I am reading the books. They are definitely more graphic than the tv show.

This past Sunday's episode was so, so good. Very emotional. The first couple were a bit more of the same old, but I think this week's was well done. I very much enjoy the emotional roller coaster.
One of my first cousins died young from tetanus. It was so very sad for the family. I didn't know him, but Mama used to talk about that a lot.

Last edited:
I have only watched clips of episodes on Facebook reals/videos. They suck me in, and at some point I need to watch an actual episode.

After reading the books, there are several characters that are very different in the series. And some exist only on the tv show. I have no problem with that, it’s just an observation.

Fred is completely different that described in the books. There’s no violet or Reggie. Dr. Turner is barely mentioned. Sr. Bernadette did not leave the religious life.

I adore this show. Seriously I can not tell you how many times I have rewatched episodes. I much prefer the episodes when Jenny is gone - she is my least favorite character. It is so crazy to me how long people are in the hospital and the 7 days in the maternity home after having a baby is nuts to think about in today's world, but I do love the personal experiences that are made in each episode. Since they are currently in 1969 if it goes 2 more years it will be my birth year.

I love this show! I agree with those who say it's "comforting". It's wholesome and family-appropriate; good may not always be able to win, but the main characters always try so hard. My mom and I binge-watched it together after she had surgery.

A couple thoughts:

- Don't miss the Christmas specials. Apparently that's a British thing. Downton Abbey does a stand-alone Christmas special too.
- The show's based upon Nurse Jenny's real life (though the later episodes are fiction -- they ran out of her stories). I read that she consulted with the show's originators, and she lived just long enough to see the first couple episodes. Her daughters said their mother was very pleased with the show and said it represented the time period /the work they did very well.
- The daughters also said their mother remained friendly with Nurse Cynthia /later Sister Cynthia for the rest of their lives. She seems to be the only one of the original main characters whom the daughters knew personally.

I've binged that show too! Finished all 12 seasons on Netflix. Season 13's anticipation is real. It's a bit predictable, but season 12's finale hit me hard. Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter