Call your shot (NBA)

The NHL has a hard salary cap. If they had anything like the Bird rule or even a soft cap (allowing teams to re-sign their own players up to a higher amount), the Sharks wouldn't be breaking apart.
NBA is only sport the players decide who is going to win

back to the great game itself , who do you like better Clippers or Lakers, ? I think Clippers are better, also the west has got to look out for Denver and Portland and Godent St will get Thompson back, soits gonna be real had to beat them (I thik Dallas will be geart but probably not now)

in the East I like Mill, Boston, Phill and you have to put Toronto in it, cause to be the man you got to beat the man

. This year they were built through instant gratification.

Of course they were for the success they had this year.

No argument there. A given.

But here's the thing I get almost as much joy from watching team building. Obviously not as much as becoming NBA champs but pretty darn close. Watching a team grow and watching front office make very tough trades, but needed ones.

Everyone who didn't/couldn't watch the Raptors in the last few years has a narrative they are comfortable with and I know it will remain the narrative. But it is not the full story.

Guess what I was doing during the Raptors' regular season - I was often frustrated during the games Kawhi played. Strange, eh? But he's a superstar?! Well of course I got great joy over his skills. Look at the glowing post I gave when ronandannetee couldn't see the allure of Leonard. But the lack of ball movement and jelling in general sucked. Big time for me. I started to enjoy watching games without him. Why? On the days Kawhi sat off I saw outstanding ball movement - thr type of basketball I like. I don't know the exact win-loss but I think it was 17-5.

17-5 !

I may be alone but I enjoy watching the game unfold well almost just as much as winning huge. Not as much but it is still a big-time joy for me.

I get why people have these narratives about Toronto. The playoffs, for many series, seemed like it was just Kawhi. Because many times it was! But I know that was partially due to they never could find their flow together. With regular season they would have him and then they wouldn't. So the groove was never able to set.

It bothered me to see a Raptors team I didn't recognize part of the playoffs.

And you keep on about our team and mid-season trades. That was part of our team building. We had a great core that we had been building piece by piece. And some fantastic scouting.

As for the Warriors -

I know I have spoken trash about certain personalities but I am not one who didn't enjoy watching them being built and their skills/play. I enjoy dynasties. I know I am not the majority, but I do. Enjoy seeing underdogs get them but respect and enjoy them nonetheless.

Last edited:
You might have some around you that like it but most people hate it. How about the family in OKC loves NBA, dad 40, mom38 kids 15,13,9 you think they like this ? What if Hockey does this and all the best players team up and go to LA or NY, then the former players will say this is great, but it's not. Believe me your team not having a chance will turn people against be the league

I don't know where I heard this - and just adding it to the mix ---

Apparently the absolute majority of younger fans are not watching games. Highlight reels are their choice. And merchandise of course.

Just today I heard an argument about how some teams are after Westbrook mainly to lure people into watching games knowing that it wouldn't compute into a winning team.

---------

I hear you low-key - time will tell.

Of course they were for the success they had this year.

No argument there. A given.

But here's the thing I get almost as much joy from watching team building. Obviously not as much as becoming NBA champs but pretty darn close. Watching a team grow and watching front office make very tough trades, but needed ones.

Everyone who didn't/couldn't watch the Raptors in the last few years has a narrative they are comfortable with and I know it will remain the narrative. But it is not the full story.

Guess what I was doing during the Raptors' regular season - I was often frustrated during the games Kawhi played. Strange, eh? But he's a superstar?! Well of course I got great joy over his skills. Look at the glowing post I gave when ronandannetee couldn't see the allure of Leonard. But the lack of ball movement and jelling in general sucked. Big time for me. I started to enjoy watching games without him. Why? On the days Kawhi sat off I saw outstanding ball movement - thr type of basketball I like. I don't know the exact win-loss but I think it was 17-5.

17-5 !

I may be alone but I enjoy watching the game unfold well almost just as much as winning huge. Not as much but it is still a big-time joy for me.

I get why people have these narratives about Toronto. The playoffs, for many series, seemed like it was just Kawhi. Because many times it was! But I know that was partially due to they never could find their jell together. With regular season they would have him and then they wouldn't. So the groove was never able to set.

It bothered me to see a Raptors team I didn't recognize part of the playoffs.

And you keep on about our team and mid-season trades. That was part of our team building. We had a great core that we had been building piece by piece. And some fantastic scouting.

As for the Warriors -

I know I have spoken trash about certain personalities but I am not one who didn't enjoy watching them being built and their skills/play. I enjoy dynasties. I know I am not the majority, but I do. Enjoy seeing underdogs get them but respect and enjoy them nonetheless.

The issue is that hero ball is needed in the postseason. It may seem strange, but the game is officiated differently, and the motion style of offense is severely hampered. That's why Kevin Durant or Kawhi Leonard did so well in the postseason. That's why certain players don't foul out in one quarter for all the grabbing and clutching they do, which are technically all fouls. It's not that teams can't still get open in the postseason, but the way the game is officiated in the postseason places a premium on creating one's own shot rather than free-flowing offense.

Last edited:
back to the great game itself , who do you like better Clippers or Lakers, ? I think Clippers are better, also the west has got to look out for Denver and Portland and Godent St will get Thompson back, soits gonna be real had to beat them (I thik Dallas will be geart but probably not now)

in the East I like Mill, Boston, Phill and you have to put Toronto in it, cause to be the man you got to beat the man

Oh my, I really have no clue.

I would add Utah to the playoff mix in the West.

Danny Green is a big defensive loss as well as his three point shooting for us, so good get for Lakers. I guess it is who avoids drama with some of the strong teams.Both LA teams of course. I think I would pick Clippers due to the strength of Kawhi/George playing both ends. And coaching.

I look forward to seeing Denver and Portland play - you know how I loved those series the most.

East? I can't say. Horford is a great get for Philadelphia but I am uneasy with some drama in Philly and coaching. Milwaukee, the fact that we took four games straight leaves me unsure. And the loss of their point guard to Indiana.

Speaking of --- I would definitely add Indiana to the playoff push.

So hard to determine who is going to come together.

Last edited:
The issue is that hero ball is needed in the postseason. It may seem strange, but the game is officiated differently, and the motion style of offense is severely hampered. That's why Kevin Durant or Kawhi Leonard did so well in the postseason. That's why certain players don't foul out in one quarter for all the grabbing and clutching they do, which are technically all fouls. It's not that teams can't still get open in the postseason, but the way the game is officiated in the postseason places a premium on creating one's own show rather than free-flowing offense.

You're right.

I get it.

I was forever saying on here that playoff basketball can't be compared to regular season.

------------

I found more pick swap information - I had no clue that they were attached to a year ---2023 and 2025.

Did anyone take a look a the merchandise from the new NBA Experience store at WDW? It's better than I expected. There are lots of Disney co-branded items for all teams. I wouldn't mind a Mickey Mouse/Grizzlies mug. I may have to pop in on my upcoming trip!

Here are the betting odds if anyone is interested. Obviously the odds changed a lot with free agency.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/
Clippers, Bucks, and Lakers are the favorites. I recall the odds for the Raptors were pretty high when they were the favorites to re-sign Leonard, but now they're listed as 80-1. Strangely enough the Warriors made moves where they're now 12-1 (fifth highest odds tied with the Rockets).

News out is that Kawhi Leonard just signed a 3-year deal with the Clippers rather than the max 4-year deal that he could have signed. It's structured with the last year having a player option. Apparently it lines up with the remaining 3 years on the Paul George contract such that they can be a package in the future.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clip...-george-clippers-contract-20190710-story.html

I also heard LBJ wil have and out that year, I guess all the 12 year old girls got to get together then, and decide who their new best friends are, and have billionaires tell them how great they are ( my apologizes to 12 year old girls, that was a cheap shot)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter