• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling All Disney Waterpark Veterans!

My mom and I keep going back and forth on the water shoe thing. We will be at the parks first week of sept. We plan on doing the h2o parks first thing in the morning until noonish.

Are the walkways that hot so early? How are things layed out- can you hop and skip by shaded walkways?.

i just really dont want to by them for our whole family and wear them.

Are flip flops an alternative? You can buy rubber flip flops for just a few dollars/person. :thumbsup2

Gina are the APs good from the time you purchase them until that time a year later or do they expire in Dec? and can you buy the AP at the park day of?

It would be awesome if I could use them on 2 trips. We usually go to Orlando every June. We also want to try the WPs next time we go. Thanks

The best umbrellas to rent (in my opinion), are #23, #24 & #25. We had #24 and it was awesome! It is on an elevated area that overlooks the giant wave pool. You can relax in the shade and watch the waves roll in. Plus, it is steps away from Typhoon Tilly's for lunch.

I would recommend water shoes. I made sure to buy them for every member of my family and then, I forgot to bring mine. :confused3 I regretted it...the sand started to scratch the bottom of my feet and the wave pool has a rough floor. Maybe I have soft feet, but I had to wear my flip flops around to avoid blisters.

flip flops will not work while in the water.. they will just float off/away..

questions. do people wear flip flops /shower shoes and take them off and leave them by the pool entrance and then put them back on when leaving the pool.

** know I am over analyzing this.. but in europe people where shower shoes until the pool entrance, ,and leave them and then put them back on when coming back out. it's an honor system, no one steal them. kinda like wearing a towe,/robe until you hit the water and back on when out.

As to footwear. I walked around at TL barefoot, no problem. it was a different story at BB. I severely burned the bottoms of my feet and had to limp around the parks for the remainder of the trip. I even considered getting a wheelchair.

Has anyone gone to the waterparks in the late afternoon/evening? We will be there in July and I think they will be packed first thing. When do the crowds thin a little bit? Or would you just stick to going in the am?
:cool2:
thanks!

One problem with going late in the day in the summer is there are often afternoon thundershowers. If so, the'll close the waterparks, since there are no buildings to take shelter in except by the park entrance. So I wouldn't recommend just going in the afternoon, since they don''t give refunds if they close due to weather.

I absolutely agree with protecting your poor feet from the blazing hot cement and remember to sunscreen those feet too! But my biggest piece of advice is for the TL wave pool - it is powerful, if you are wearing glasses make sure they are well secured with a strap! I emerged from under the wave and glasses were MIA! Luckly about 45 min later they rolled in and a lifeguard had retrieved them :worship: said it happens all the time.

We always wear water shoes (not flip flops) and leave them on. I started doing this about 10 years ago. while at TL my friend stepped on a snake that was swimming on the bottom of the lazy river.

Definitely pay to reserve an umbrella..you won't regret it. The reservation includes towels, two chairs, two loungers, a small table and large beach umbrella. Research and request an umbrella in the area you want to be in. Your reserved space is only for you and your family. I can't recommend this enough...makes for a more relaxing day.

Is this an option at both water parks or just one? We weren't even considering the water parks as an option until last night, so I am starting to research info on both.

Thanks!

Which park do you recommend for children 5 (42 in) and 8 yr olds?

Blizzard Beach, definitely & here's why.

The 3 signature attractions at Typhoon Lagoon are:
Crushin Gusher
Shark Reef
Wave Pool

At 42", you child will be too short to go on Crushin' Gusher, more than likely will have issues with the snorkel at Shark Reef, and will get pounded by the waves in the wave pool. And frankly, the rest of what's at Typhoon Lagoon is sub-par in direct comparison to Blizzard Beach.

Do you recommend that we drive our own car or take the bus? We are staying at Pop and planning on doing both water parks while we are there?

Do you recommend that we drive our own car or take the bus? We are staying at Pop and planning on doing both water parks while we are there?

If you have a car, definitely use it. Parking at the water parks is free and easy. We always end up with a spot pretty close to the entrance. No trams, etc.

Is this an option at both water parks or just one? We weren't even considering the water parks as an option until last night, so I am starting to research info on both.

Thanks!

Its an option at both waterparks. We reserved a lounger/umbrella at both TL and BB last summer.

Awesome report Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina!!! Loved the reviews and fantastic photos :thumbsup2 Loved it!!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Gina are the APs good from the time you purchase them until that time a year later or do they expire in Dec? and can you buy the AP at the park day of?

The waterpark AP's are good for one full year from the date of purchase (not a calendar year) :thumbsup2 .

I would assume you can buy an AP at the park, but I won't say I'm 100% certain of that as we purchased ours via phone in advance of our arrival.

Marking thread in my research on best wp for my group.
Here are our "stats" if anyone wants to give me feedback...
4 adults (maybe 5)
4 to 6 kids (will be/currently)
10.5 yrs 56.5"
8.5/49"
Turning 6 while there/43"
3.75/36"
3.5/38"
1.5/30"
It seems blizzard beach is recommended more for kids that fall into my group stats.

How many people are allowed at the rental umbrella?
Even though we have a large group, I would just want it for like 5 people total, more for a place to keep things organized and let the kids chill from time to time.

There is an alternative to the Cabana which was $50 a day - an umbrella, a table and four chairs in the same area as the cabanas. My best friend and I used it as our home base and it was great because it's yours for the day. The only people allowed in that area are those with wrist bands for that area.

Communication with your group can be an issue. Unlike the regular parks, everyone wont have a cell phone in their pocket so you can text where you are or where to meet up. I advise a small pad and pen, preferably in a ziplock bag. That way you can leave messages wherever your home base is for each other.

If you plan on going in the morning try to make it there 15 min before the park opens. This way you get parking up front, prime seating and it usually is better line wise. If being there early is not ideal, I have read from others that going around 2 - 3pm is ideal because those who came to the park when it opened start leaving around that time. Have Fun. The water parks are great and a perfect way to stay cool. Look for the photo pass photographers for your family photos at the water park.

How many people are allowed at the rental umbrella?
Even though we have a large group, I would just want it for like 5 people total, more for a place to keep things organized and let the kids chill from time to time.

Max 4 people per umbrella rental. Guests who have rented premium spaces are wrist-banded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter