• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all insulin dependent diabetics

I give my self shots when and where I need them ( on a pump now so this helps) there was one time this lady was doing some kind of yoga pose to see what I was doing when I was giving my self insulin. And she tells me I should not do that here that I would go in the bathroom I told her bathroom where dirty and that ( there was some cops at the table next to her) there was a lot of people with guns but none of them pointed at her telling her she had to watch what I wa doing

My point is your husband need to do what is best for him and no one can make him do anything. But tell him more then likely no one will notice what he is doing and if they do they can look away for the 2 3 seconds

Huh? What are you talking about with guns?

One thing to rmember is that blood is considered a pathogen, so please dispose of all testing materials, etc, appropriately - as in, don't leave it on the table for the server to clean up. A ziploc baggie would hold it in a purse until it can be disposed of properly.

BTW, I'd watch someone giving themselves a shot - I'd want to make sure they were being appropriate with the equipment when they were done. Wouldn't want a kid getting pricked with a needle that wasn't disposed of/taken care of. I hope people at Disney are better at taking care of sharps than the guest I saw at Friendly's who left the needle at the edge of the table and then ate her meal. The needle got bumped off the table and landed on the floor under the table beside her.

One thing to rmember is that blood is considered a pathogen, so please dispose of all testing materials, etc, appropriately - as in, don't leave it on the table for the server to clean up. A ziploc baggie would hold it in a purse until it can be disposed of properly.

BTW, I'd watch someone giving themselves a shot - I'd want to make sure they were being appropriate with the equipment when they were done. Wouldn't want a kid getting pricked with a needle that wasn't disposed of/taken care of. I hope people at Disney are better at taking care of sharps than the guest I saw at Friendly's who left the needle at the edge of the table and then ate her meal. The needle got bumped off the table and landed on the floor under the table beside her.
Did you not read my post there were police officers there eating lunch when the lady was doing some kind of yoga pose to see what I was doing ( and all the officer were laughing at my replay)

and I never leave my used strips on the table or anywhere but back in the bag all my stuff is in ( and half the time I do not take the strip out of the meter ( yep I am that lazy sometimes) so I have no idea where that came from unless you just did not read my post but just a few words from it.

First off, I wouldn't take any issue with him doing his shot at the table; however, another way to address the issue would be to ask the server to bring some form of food out quickly, they can usually accommodate this if you let them know he is diabetic. I have even seen them bring some appropriate food out while they are waiting for a table, obviously not a full meal, but enough that the insulin shot won't be an issue, think along the lines of a protein bar, but something the restaurant normally serves.

I have seen this is typically true for all sit down restaurants, not just at Disney World by the way.

People who take insulin on a regular basis are generally very, very careful to avoid this kind of thing, but honestly, it is not up to me, you or anyone else besides themselves to monitor that they are using their equipment appropriately.

People who take insulin on a regular basis are generally very, very careful to avoid this kind of thing, but honestly, it is not up to me, you or anyone else besides themselves to monitor that they are using their equipment appropriately.
This is so true why are you ( the person cmwade77 is quoting) the police of diabetes. Please do not do this if someone is closely watching me I am more likely to make a mistake.

Op like I said before have him practice at home where he is more comftable. Disney is a really good place to do shots at Disney becuse most people are too busy planing there next thing looking at photo of there kids that just meet Mickey or taking a photo of the food they just got, posting there latest thing they did on social media to there friends at home. Ok you get it most people at Disney will not notice or care that your DH is given a shoot and if they do then they have problems.

Apparently no one ever taught you that staring at others is rude.

Did you not read my post there were police officers there eating lunch when the lady was doing some kind of yoga pose to see what I was doing ( and all the officer were laughing at my replay)

and I never leave my used strips on the table or anywhere but back in the bag all my stuff is in ( and half the time I do not take the strip out of the meter ( yep I am that lazy sometimes) so I have no idea where that came from unless you just did not read my post but just a few words from it.

I did read your post - but honestly, sometimes I find them hard to understand with the typos. I must have misunderstood something you were trying to say. Also, the rest of the post was not directed at you, sorry. It was a general post that was based on info from students I work with who bus tables and have had to deal with left behind contaminated napkins, etc. Some less considerate people do leave some pretty nasty stuff behind.

Just a reminder, not directed at any one person, sorry to have hit a nerve. But see above - some people are not so considerate. We have blood born pathogen training at school due to this.

This is so true why are you ( the person cmwade77 is quoting) the police of diabetes. Please do not do this if someone is closely watching me I am more likely to make a mistake.

Op like I said before have him practice at home where he is more comftable. Disney is a really good place to do shots at Disney becuse most people are too busy planing there next thing looking at photo of there kids that just meet Mickey or taking a photo of the food they just got, posting there latest thing they did on social media to there friends at home. Ok you get it most people at Disney will not notice or care that your DH is given a shoot and if they do then they have problems.

Apparently no one ever taught you that staring at others is rude.

Tell that to all the posters here who talk about "people watching", right? Your namesake would watch :)

I guess no one else lives in an area where heroin is a huge issue - we have had people shoot up in restaurants, grocery stores, never mind the usual places like fast food restrooms and parking lots. So, yes, if I happen to see someone injecting themselves, I'll watch to make sure they are okay. And I'll be hoping it's insulin, not heroin. And for those that say that would never happen at WDW, it does, but they don't report it. I sat in the ER at Celebration one night, and saw some scary stuff, talked to a few people involved.

I did read your post - but honestly, sometimes I find them hard to understand with the typos. I must have misunderstood something you were trying to say. Also, the rest of the post was not directed at you, sorry. It was a general post that was based on info from students I work with who bus tables and have had to deal with left behind contaminated napkins, etc. Some less considerate people do leave some pretty nasty stuff behind.

Just a reminder, not directed at any one person, sorry to have hit a nerve. But see above - some people are not so considerate. We have blood born pathogen training at school due to this.

Tell that to all the posters here who talk about "people watching", right? Your namesake would watch :)

I guess no one else lives in an area where heroin is a huge issue - we have had people shoot up in restaurants, grocery stores, never mind the usual places like fast food restrooms and parking lots. So, yes, if I happen to see someone injecting themselves, I'll watch to make sure they are okay. And I'll be hoping it's insulin, not heroin. And for those that say that would never happen at WDW, it does, but they don't report it. I sat in the ER at Celebration one night, and saw some scary stuff, talked to a few people involved.
You are more likely to
Come in contact with blood from someone accident cutting there finger with the knife they used to cut there food with. Then someone with diabetes checking they BG. And when your comparing apple to orange when talking about the watching you are doing to someone sitting out side on a bench people watching.

I must say that people seem more likely to stare at me when I am using sign language than when I am testing my blood sugars and taking my insulin.

I must say that people seem more likely to stare at me when I am using sign language than when I am testing my blood sugars and taking my insulin.

Well, that's just wrong. But I can kind of understand it from that same perspective as when people stare at ECV users as they are boarding/disembarking the buses at WDW: The bus wheezes, and kneels, and the back doors are thrown open while a LOUD beeping commences, and then the thing barfs out a ramp... It really is a spectacle, and I have to remind myself that the people who are staring wide-eyed are most likely looking at the bus, not me.

People who have never seen sign language in person may stare for no other reason than it can actually be quite beautiful and mesmerizing to watch, and because it is a very visual form of communication, there is less "privacy" when you have a conversation.

I think many, myself included, enjoy seeing the communication and find it amazing and a wonderful testament to overcoming a challenge. Probably 16 years ago we were in Disneyland and I saw a young boy, probably 12 signing with his mom. Out of no where came another boy hands a blazing, but the expression and excitement was universal - he'd met another boy at Disney that could sign! Please accept my apology, but I do find it wonderful.

My hubby needs to have insulin 4X a day, three times with meals and a different kind at night before bedtime. I considered him to be a severe type 2 diabetic.

My question relates to Disney table service restaurants and other restaurants, as well. We all know that you don't get to eat right away at Disney; unless, you go to a buffet. Most insulin shots expect you to eat within 15 minutes of getting your shot. I have seen a half hour before getting food at some Disney restaurants. My hubby has had some low blood sugar spells which have been harmful. Sometimes, we carry a protein bar for him to eat if the meal is served late, but he really doesn't like those bars. He doesn't feel comfortable taking his shot until the meal is in front of him. At home that works, but not at a restaurant. Also, he doesn't like bringing his insulin medicine into a restaurant and doing his insulin shot at table side. He won't go in a restroom to do it and I don't blame him there.

He uses a scooter in the parks; so, we usually eat first and then go back to the scooter and find a more secluded place for him to do his insulin shot after he eats. The problem here is he has high readings even in the 300s for blood sugar when we do it this way. It's probably an hour after getting out of the restaurant that he takes his insulin. My husband recently had a mild stroke and I very much feel it's part due to his practice of taking his insulin after his meal instead of before like you should do it. We dine out probably twice a week back home, as well; so, this issue follows us.

So, how do you do your insulin shots when dining out? Will you do your insulin at table side as discreetly as possible? Or do you do it before you get into the restaurant hoping your blood sugar won't go to low before you get served? Do you use glucose tablets? Do you order an appetizer so you get something to eat quicker?

My DD21 recently got diagnosed with T1D and about to start school again next month. She hasn’t been to school since she was diagnosed. We were both stressing on where to do the injections because she goes to school in NYC. She started practicing doing it in the restroom when the meal arrives but DH and I are watching it. She was worrying about how to do it in the city. But, we both feel better that a lot of posters on board said that they or their family members do it at the table. Daughter is also self conscious doing it in public, too. Guess we’ll practice at food court once the holiday is over! Thank you so much for posting this!

I think many, myself included, enjoy seeing the communication and find it amazing and a wonderful testament to overcoming a challenge. Probably 16 years ago we were in Disneyland and I saw a young boy, probably 12 signing with his mom. Out of no where came another boy hands a blazing, but the expression and excitement was universal - he'd met another boy at Disney that could sign! Please accept my apology, but I do find it wonderful.
No apologies needed. We are well aware that visual language attracts people who don't use it on a regular basis. Now I'd someone who knows with were to stare at my conversation and not introduce himself, that is considered rude. I am thrilled when I meet other deaf and ASL users in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter