• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling All Parents, How Do You Supply Magic To Your Kids?

Our kids are younger, so I am casting back for my teen self here... Does she have a creative bent like you? How about giving her some craft supplies to make some stuff on the drive down?
  • I don't know what outfits you have planned, but some beads and/or charms (cheaply sourced at Ebay or dollar store) to make 'Disneybounding' jewellery could be fun, especially if you ask her to make you some to wear, too - or you could make hers, she could make yours.
  • Ditto some custom Disney sleepshirts - use fabric paint and Halloween pumpkin carving stencils to make her one, then bring the materials for her to make you one the first night to wear on the trip. Fabric paint and an iron shouldn't take long.
  • Ask her to make/decorate mousekeeping envelopes on the drive.
  • Print off a Princess autograph book and have a kiddie princess autograph scavenger hunt - RAK and family fun in one. With the parents' nod of approval, your daughter asking a little girl dressed up as a Disney princess to sign that princess's page in her autograph book would be a fun way to make another kid's day and add to her experience, particularly as you can do this anywhere/anytime, parents permitting, and it costs nothing but a bit of acting and enthusiasm.
  • Give her a Disney Director responsibility for a few hours to get to plan what you will all do and surprise YOU. Make it fun with a Disney Director planning sheet, map of the park, etc.
I will keep thinking...

I don't know if it would interest you, but I thought of one idea that might be a fun bonding Disney activity for you and your daughter this or some other trip. Write a Reform Contract for each of the Disney Evil Stepmothers (from Snow White, Cinderella, Enchanted and Tangled) and get them to sign it during a Character Meet and Greet. You can 'pretend' to collude with the evil stepmother and ask for her autograph, and then have your stepdaughter 'reveal' that her 'Good Stepmother' has tricked her into signing a contract that binds her to eternal goodness toward all stepdaughters. Cheesy, but maybe fun? You could draft the contract terms together. pixiedust: Maybe 'reform' one evil stepmother each trip?

Our upcoming trip is a different type of surprise. One son (son 1) knows about the trip, he told me he didn't want to be surprised for future trips. My other son (son 2) is completely unaware. Son 1 is having the best time counting down each day with me. He's helped pick out magic bands for everyone. He had input on our resort choice. Son 1 is also in for a surprise, we're leaving a day earlier than he is expecting. We are leaving on a school day, our plan is wake them up extra early and surprise them by playing Disney music very loudly. We'll then hop in the car and go!

We have a 7-8 hour drive down. For the car I am packing small treats and snacks in our old WDW popcorn buckets. They're the round ones with the lids. I'm also printing up a bracket type challenge for us to pick our family's ultimate favorite ride at WDW. And I'm going to wrap up some small gifts to open every hour or so in the car.

We've also been watching Disney movies that we've never seen before. I've been picking movies that have attractions at the parks.

Another surprise for son 2 is that I'm decorating his magic band. I'll give this to him in the car too. He probably won't believe we're going until he sees it ! He thinks we aren't going for 2 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter