Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how long your hair is, mine is a little past shoulder length. During the warmer months (or anything not super cold, basically!) I have it in a ponytail, but I also use a headband (I use one I got at Lucy with silicone dots on it to keep it in place, but I know everyone has their favorite headband).

The hat I bought for winter running has an opening at the back so I can still put a ponytail through it, but most of the time I don't bother with it. I can use the extra insulation of my hair on my neck, plus if it's cold enough for a hat, I'm either wearing a turtleneck or using a neck gaiter, so it wouldn't stick then anyway.

I have also had problems getting a bun to stay in!

Maybe put it in a high ponytail, braid it, then tuck the tail in the high hair band. So you have a loop. Not sure if that would bounce enough to annoy you but that's what I did when it was longer. Now it's just short enough to skim my collar when it's in a high ponytail.

I always wear a hat while running - put the ponytail through the back so it is out of the way and flyaways don't get in my face, keeps the sun off my face, and keeps the sweat out of my eyes.

I have an Adidas hat that is sweat-wicking; it was like $10 from running warehouse.

i do two braided pigtails when racing, but for training runs i usually make a high ponytail, secure it, then twist the tail into a bun and put another elastic on it. sometimes adding extra bobby pins.

I know exactly what you mean! I have long hair, and I just wrap the elastic around it twice like I'm putting it in a pony tail, but then on the third wrap around, I don't pull my hair all the way through. It makes sort of a loop in the back and then the ends just fall down around the loop to one side. It stays really secure and avoids the pony tail bouncing and hitting the back of my neck. I know this is a really horrible description, so I'll think about how to describe it better! Then I wear a headband when it's warm and an earwarmer and/or hat when it's cold.

I know exactly what you mean! Makes sense to me! I wear my hair this way too, only I have lots of layers, so I have to add a headband and clips.

I felt a little silly for posting that so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a 'hairy' situation, hahaha! Thank you for all your suggestions! I sometimes wear a high braided ponytail which helps so maybe I'll try tucking the tail in. I found these strange hair ties kicking around the house with rubber stripes on them so maybe those are worth a try?

Just wondering how many signed up as teams? Any fun team names out there?

On another note- can anyone confirm that our board will be full at 250 pages? I think that's the magic number I've heard and I want to make a new one so everyone can continue chatting if that's the case!

Hey fellow Princesses! I have a question for those using the Galloway training plan. I'm currently doing a 30/30 run/walk ratio. I'd like to do the Magic Mile to get a good estimate of how I'll do during the Half, but I'm confused - for the one mile hard run, am I forgetting my 30/30 split and just going for an all-out run? Or incorporating the run/walk split and just going as fast as I can in the run section? I know this is probably much simpler than I'm thinking, but I'd appreciate the advice! :)

I do a 30/39 split, and that is what I do for the magic mile. I want it to be the pace I will be running at in a race, so I don't all out run.

I do a 30/39 split, and that is what I do for the magic mile. I want it to be the pace I will be running at in a race, so I don't all out run.

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense to me - think I'll stick with the run/walk, too. :)

This may sound stupid, but what do y'all mean when you say 30/30 pace? Do you mean you run for 30 seconds and walk thirty seconds? I'm new to the running lingo. :)

Also, what are you ladies planning on doing after the race is over? Do you go to a park? Got back to the resort? Go home? Thanks!!!

This may sound stupid, but what do y'all mean when you say 30/30 pace? Do you mean you run for 30 seconds and walk thirty seconds? I'm new to the running lingo. :)

Also, what are you ladies planning on doing after the race is over? Do you go to a park? Got back to the resort? Go home? Thanks!!!

Yes. Walk 30 seconds and then run 30 seconds.

After the race, I am going to cheer on other finishers, then go eat, shower, rest and then go to the MK>
People will do al sorts of things...go right to park, catch flights home, etc.

Yes. Walk 30 seconds and then run 30 seconds. After the race, I am going to cheer on other finishers, then go eat, shower, rest and then go to the MK> People will do al sorts of things...go right to park, catch flights home, etc.

Thanks!! Cheering sounds fun!! :)

One of my favorite post-race things to do is to go to a park with my medal and find my race namesake (e.g. Goofy) and have a photo taken with him/her. Also, a chocolate milkshake goes down well (although I don't necessarily need a race to have one of those!)

Glad you asked! I thought they ran for 30 minutes and then walked for 30 minutes! :blush:

I will be 50/10! ::yes:: We plan to go to the MK after nap and shower, like I did in 2010. It's a little painful but better to keep moving! :cool1:

Question about fuel along the route - I know the drink is powerade but what is the fuel source along the way? Anything? Would like to avoid a big belt.

Also anybody wearing a costume different than their bib?

STILLWISHING said:
Question about fuel along the route - I know the drink is powerade but what is the fuel source along the way? Anything? Would like to avoid a big belt.

I'm not sure about princess but during wine and dine they have clif shot gels. I have never used them tho, as I usually use the shot bloks instead.

Headed to the gym today. Apparently they have an indoor track. Of course, 10 laps to a mile might drive me bonkers but I haven't been off the treadmill in a month so I'm excited. My head seems a bit clearer so hopefully ill get my planned 5 miles in. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to not skip any of my planned training runs but I'm trying to think of it as practice in holding back when I shouldn't push myself (like going out too fast at the start).

So........ I know this is totally last minute, but I think we might think about running down (no pun intended) to do the 5K. We do a lot of local 5Ks, so I'm not too concerned about having time to "train." A month and a half seems like enough time for that short distance. I just want to be part of the MAGIC :goodvibes

ALL WDW resorts are considered host resorts for this weekend, right? I noticed for the Wine and Dine there were resorts listed, so I just wanted to be sure before we move forward.

I think my bib is Cinderella, but my costume is Esmeralda. I will be wearing a purple running skirt, a jangly belly dancing skirt over it. A white running top with aqua blue trim. A running hat with bright pink around the edge and purple Asics. I am debating getting some cheap hoop earrings, I am not sure if I want to run with big earrings on.

My dh and I have the FL resident weekday passes. So since our passes are not good on Sunday, we will wait and go to one of the parks on Monday. I think that after the half marathon we will go back to Pop Century, shower, relax for a bit, then go to Downtown Disney for lunch.
Then Monday we will wear our medals to the Magic Kingdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter