Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had gastric bypass surgery and one of my goals in life is to run a half marathon and since I love Disney, I am really wanting to do the PHM!! I don't have the go ahead to run from my doc but I can start off with walking! Woooo I am excited!!

Hello!!! this is my first time running a half. We were in DWD for the 2013 and the women walking around on Sunday and Monday were so inspirational. It gave me goosebumps to think that would be me next year. I came from a family of marathoners and I just never got the bug. Well until now!!! My BFF of almost 18 years is teaming up with me so we can train and run together.

:cheer2:

Platinum chear squad... Can anyone tell me if the $99 was per person, or for a family?

Thanks!

I think that is for one person. But I have never signed anyone up either. So maybe some one will be along soon with info for you.

Gah, that's what I was worried about. There are 6 of us, so there's no way I'm paying that much for 5 family members...

What happens if you just get the retreat for yourself? Do you just go by yourself at the end and your family waits for you? I'm having a hard time deciding how to plan it! :confused3

I'm in! It was actually my husbands suggestion that we do this together (he'll be a prince among princesses) :hug

I've never been a runner...but was really excited to start reading Jeff Galloway's site about run/walk strategy...heck...we walk 13 miles + every day in WDW anyhow!

If it will earn me an extra weekend in WDW...I'll run 13.1!!

Aimee

Hello princesses!! I'm so excited to be doing the princess next year. I will turn 50 2 days later, and that is a huge motivator for me to get some weight off this year.

I did the 2011 princess and finished in 3:35. I took lots of pics along the way, but did not have any time to wait in line for characters photos, so my goal this year is to build up to a faster pace, so can stop. Last time I only got chip and dale because they were all alone in tomorrowland. I think everyone skipped them to get to the castle!

My sil and brother are going to do the race too, and it will be her first half!! She came with me in 2011 and watched my son, and was such an amazing support, so I am psyched she is doing it this time, and looking forward to training together.

I am also so excited that some of my dis-friends that I met in 2011 will be there next year too!! I can not wait!!!

Good luck to everyone in their training!!! We can do this!!!

Hahahahahaha. I ran the PHM and turned 51 on 2/27. It was my first 1/2. i get my hair colored every 5 weeks. dde00 What's a house dress ? LOL
Who hoo!! Congrtulations!! 50 is fabulous!!

I am so excited and relieved. I just walked my first 13.14 training day. I finished in 3:37. While this is not yet good enough for Disney, it is good enough for my first half that is 28 days away. They give you 4hrs to get it done. I also got the opportunity to try my first sparkle skirt. It felt good to sparkle through the park.
Conrats on your long run!! You are very close to disney pace, and will have no problem next year. Good luck in your first official half!!
Oh my...this is getting personal.

I am that 50+ grey haired runner :goodvibes

Cindy your hair looks wonderful, I just don't have time to get mine colored as I'm always running. :rotfl2:

And 50 IS the new 40 and I love it. The only thing that is going to kill me now is the DD's wedding in two weeks. :crazy2:

I think I will make it my goal to see everyone of you make it over the finish line at the 2014 PHM in under 3 and half hours! Really I have no qualifications, but I have done it 5 times.

You know a 67 years young lady crossed the finish line this year in 1:54:??...because those few seconds really don't matter. She is awesome and she also ran the WDW half in January.
Congrats on being a perfect princess!! And congrats on dd's wedding!! Slow deep breaths, enjoy all the magic of your princesses special day. :love:
I think I'm in! I turn 40 (*gulp*) less than a week after the PHM next year...and I think that completing it is going to be my goal for my 40th birthday. Plus, then I have a valid reason to spend my actual birthday in Disney! Bonus! :thumbsup2

Now, here are the hard parts: I'm hopelessly out of shape and motivation is not my strong suit (and while I'm at it, willpower and I aren't great friends either):rolleyes:

I also don't really have any Disney crazed friends nearby that are willing to enter into this insanity with me, so I'm looking for company during the training and maybe the race too. It would be cool if we could form a beginners thread to keep each other going. Or is there one already?

anyway, does anyone have a specific app or training program that they would recommend when you're starting from scratch?

And one last question: shoes. Can anyone tell me what kind of shoes I should be looking for? My tennis shoes are just cheap ones that won't hold up to running for any length of time.

I apologize if I repeated questions - I didn't read through all of the pages! Looking forward to following along with everyone! Thanks for humoring a newbie! :)
You got some great advice, and you can definitely do this next year. I trained for 2011 in 1 year. There are lots of training plans. I started with c25k and ended up going to run/walk intervals following the Jeff Galloway plans. My body couldn't take the longer runs without the walk breaks. I don't know if anyone already said, but if you have good running store nearby, fleet feet, or somethign like that, it is so helpful to go in and get fitted for running shoes. They will watch you run and walk, and fit you accordingly.

The 2013 PHM was my first half and my first Disney race! Last year at this time, I was taking in all of the information I could to prepare...so hopefully my recap will help someone in training know what to expect for the big day:

http://2princessesontherun.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/race-weekend-recap-part-3/

Or if you were there, relive it with me! :)

Princess Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
Awesome blog!! Congratulations!!

Ok princesses...I've never run a race ever in my life....so I'm a total newbie.

Do we have to run a certified 10k before the PHM to get a time and a corral assignment? I'm planning on doing some local 5ks this summer.

Just need to know what I have to do to qualify to participate in the PHM.

TIA!!
Aimee

AimKo said:

Do we have to run a certified 10k before the PHM to get a time and a corral assignment? I'm planning on doing some local 5ks this summer.

TIA!!
Aimee

No,you don't have to. Although,if you plan on doing it at a good pace,under 2:46 I would advise to. The only races they will take are 10Ks or higher. You can choose your approximate finishing time,but anything under 2:46 you will need proof of time to move up in corrals. I believe the 2:46 started in D? Possibly C?

Gah, that's what I was worried about. There are 6 of us, so there's no way I'm paying that much for 5 family members...

What happens if you just get the retreat for yourself? Do you just go by yourself at the end and your family waits for you? I'm having a hard time deciding how to plan it! :confused3

I think they just wait. I have never done the retreat for myself or family. So much to do without the extra cost. But those that have done it love it. I have had family take the monorail to main st to watch me run and back to finish to see me cross the finish line without a problem.

Anyone have this book. Is it worth it or is most information found on these boards?

Magical Miles: The Runner's Guide to Walt Disney World

I'm in! It was actually my husbands suggestion that we do this together (he'll be a prince among princesses) :hug

I've never been a runner...but was really excited to start reading Jeff Galloway's site about run/walk strategy...heck...we walk 13 miles + every day in WDW anyhow!

If it will earn me an extra weekend in WDW...I'll run 13.1!!

Aimee

DH hasn't run with me, but he did dress up this year, I'll try and get a photo up later. He did say he got some weird looks from spectators, and also some great comments from cast members.

TIA!!
Aimee

No, you don't have to submit a time to participate. Submitting a good 10k or higher time can get you into a better corral(they stagger groups for starting the race, dividing racers into corrals based on their anticpated pace), so you start closer to the front, but it definitely isn't required. The only thing you need to qualify is registration lol.

TIA!!
Aimee

I agree with all the stuff Jenn310 said.
Running/walking a 10k is good as it will help to see how you are doing in training. It may or may not help in corral placement, but I am one who thinks that we need to prepare. I wouldn't go into an exam without studying, or childbirth without reading up or taking a lamaze class (do they still have those?) and talking to some one who had been through it.
To qualify you just have to cough up the money and get signed up before it sells out.

Awesome!! Thanks for the info ladies!! :yay:

I am signing up for a local 10k in May so I can see how I'm doing...hopefully it will stop snowing in WNY before then!!

What is Disney's pace time for completion? I saw someone post that they had run 13.1 in 3:30, but that wasnt good enough for Disney? Is that right?...I just have this recurring thought of being swept up by the sweeps van for being too slow!! :headache:

Aimee

Hello everyone! I am in for PHM 2014, and I am sooo excited! I plan to do it with my sister. We used to go as a family when we were younger to WDW every January, and I always saw the marathon by coincidence and have wanted to do it. I finally started getting in shape after my second child and really want to do this now. I am not a runner though. But I am determined this time is going to be different. I did my first sprint triathlon last year, which has a 5k to finish. That was my first race of any kind. I am planning on trying for a 10K run - hopefully to get a good time - in the fall. I am also hoping to do the Casataway Cay 5K next month to get me back into a running grove. I am from Massachusetts and we've had a snowy winter, so I have not run outside in quite a while and I hate treadmills. I am horrible at planning my training, so I will be on the lookout for any tips previous runners can provide. Does anyone have suggestions on nutrition plans for runners? Or books they read and learned a lot from? My nutrtion is my biggest stumbling block and I fear training for a HM will magnify that.

One silly question for those who have run before. Do you sleep before the race? And if so how? I am a horrible sleeper. My biggest fear about this is the getting up early part. Don't get me wrong, I am a morning person, up and at em by 6 with the kids usually, but I just don't know how I will handle the middle of the night wake up. I can never fall asleep before 10 PM. But I have read lots of people get up at 1 - 2 in the morning to get to the start. I almost wonder if not sleeping would be better;) Is this part of your training? How do you make it work? I would love to do the W&D at night but my sister and I can only do it together due to scheduling in February.

Hello everyone! I am in for PHM 2014, and I am sooo excited! I plan to do it with my sister. We used to go as a family when we were younger to WDW every January, and I always saw the marathon by coincidence and have wanted to do it. I finally started getting in shape after my second child and really want to do this now. I am not a runner though. But I am determined this time is going to be different. I did my first sprint triathlon last year, which has a 5k to finish. That was my first race of any kind. I am planning on trying for a 10K run - hopefully to get a good time - in the fall. I am also hoping to do the Casataway Cay 5K next month to get me back into a running grove. I am from Massachusetts and we've had a snowy winter, so I have not run outside in quite a while and I hate treadmills. I am horrible at planning my training, so I will be on the lookout for any tips previous runners can provide. Does anyone have suggestions on nutrition plans for runners? Or books they read and learned a lot from? My nutrtion is my biggest stumbling block and I fear training for a HM will magnify that.

One silly question for those who have run before. Do you sleep before the race? And if so how? I am a horrible sleeper. My biggest fear about this is the getting up early part. Don't get me wrong, I am a morning person, up and at em by 6 with the kids usually, but I just don't know how I will handle the middle of the night wake up. I can never fall asleep before 10 PM. But I have read lots of people get up at 1 - 2 in the morning to get to the start. I almost wonder if not sleeping would be better;) Is this part of your training? How do you make it work? I would love to do the W&D at night but my sister and I can only do it together due to scheduling in February.

I am often a night owl. I have not done the Princess but I did the Donald in January. We toured Animal Kingdom the day before the race, then hopped over to MK and had an early dinner at Tony's. The three of us who were racing went back to the room after dinner, made sure everything was ready to go for the race, and laid down. I was quite surprised that I was able to fall asleep so easily. I'd say it was about 9 PM when we bedded down for real. I heard IllumiNations fireworks as I was drifting off. We got up around 2:15 AM and were on a bus by 2:45 AM.

Of course, we go to bed early and get up at the crack of early before each Disney trip since we drive 9+ hours, so I'm a bit used to it outside of training. ;)

Awesome!! Thanks for the info ladies!! :yay:

I am signing up for a local 10k in May so I can see how I'm doing...hopefully it will stop snowing in WNY before then!!

What is Disney's pace time for completion? I saw someone post that they had run 13.1 in 3:30, but that wasnt good enough for Disney? Is that right?...I just have this recurring thought of being swept up by the sweeps van for being too slow!! :headache:

Aimee

I had that same fear AimKo when I initially decided to do this. Then I said to myself. I refuse to be swept! And I'm sticking to that. When I start my official training I'll keep saying that to myself. R2BS!

I agree with all the stuff Jenn310 said.
Running/walking a 10k is good as it will help to see how you are doing in training. It may or may not help in corral placement, but I am one who thinks that we need to prepare. I wouldn't go into an exam without studying, or childbirth without reading up or taking a lamaze class (do they still have those?) and talking to some one who had been through it.
To qualify you just have to cough up the money and get signed up before it sells out.

So it is my understanding that the pace time starts when the last person in the last Coral walks/runs through, correct? So although they say the slower runners/walkers should be in the back its more beneficial to try to get as close to the front as possible (based on a 10k time or prior half time)?

Also you made me have flashbacks of my childbirth class. I was all ready to use what I learned in class. Waiting for the exciting "breaking" of the water, and none of that happened. LOL But I have a girlfriend who's water broke in the Cheescake Factory so she more than made up for it for me. :rotfl:

So it is my understanding that the pace time starts when the last person in the last Coral walks/runs through, correct? So although they say the slower runners/walkers should be in the back its more beneficial to try to get as close to the front as possible (based on a 10k time or prior half time)?

Also you made me have flashbacks of my childbirth class. I was all ready to use what I learned in class. Waiting for the exciting "breaking" of the water, and none of that happened. LOL But I have a girlfriend who's water broke in the Cheescake Factory so she more than made up for it for me. :rotfl:

You are correct about getting a better corral placement, as the 16mm pace starts when the last person crosses the start line.

The breathing exercises can be good when running to help get a rhythm. Crazy thing, my first three birthing experiences (each one) took less time than they allow us to finish the half. Strangely my fourth took 5 hours, same time it took me to finish the full this year. Go ahead and hate me. :flower3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter