Calm my nerves... Where/when to stay?one

spectrecat

Mouseketeer
With dh's job, advanced planning is next to impossible, so here we are with a month to go, and I'm freaking myself out that the parks are going to be nuts. And booking a room at the DLR? Not gonna happen because suites are out of our budget, and that's what's left! We're experienced WDW planners, and I've read the thread for WDW veterans, but I'm just so worried that our one opportunity to go will be a mess!!

We really wanted to stay in a DLR hotel, and one of the three cast members I've spoken to over the last week said that cancellations do happen and to keep trying. In the meantime, I need another plan in case the magic doesn't happen...lol.

I'm looking for something within a short (10 min or less, kid pace) walking distance or opinions on the Marriott brand hotels nearby (Residence Inn, Courtyard, Fairfield, etc.) Many of the non-Marriott options are full, too.

How busy will it be between November 16-25? We'll be using the military tickets, so we'll stay for 2-3 nights. That's a huge gap, I know. When we've planned WDW trips, there was a planning website that gave crowd level predictions, and it worked very well. Is there something like that for Disneyland?

I'm going to keep reading all these threads. It's making me get excited, but then my worry creeps in that we're going to be let down by crowds or by staying off site. We've gone to WDW in the summer, and I didn't freak out about crowds, and we had wonderfully perfect trips, but planning for this one has me crazy!!

We are saying at the Fairfield Marriott in December. It is right across the street and I have heard decent things. I can understand wanting to stay in the Disneyland Hotel (we were able to stay there a few years back when friends cashed in DVC points), but if you can't do it this trip maybe you will be able to sometime in the future. What about Paradise Pier or the Grand Californian?

Plan on it being very busy any of those dates! That is when the holiday season is just beginning, there is the Avengers Marathon, Season of the Force starts, the 60th is bringing in more and more people, lots of things are happening next year that may have people coming in now for a final trip for a while. There is a lot of speculation that this holiday season is going to be one of the busiest ever! You should definitely try to figure out where you want to stay soon as a lot of places across the street may already be booked up for your dates.

There are some crowd predictors out there, but they aren't helpful for this year. The 60th has changed everything about crowds!!! This has been the busiest year ever!

I'd also try one of the other sites like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity. And keep trying--I think they release rooms as the dates get closer. I got a great Orbitz deal for 20% off an already discounted premier GCH room when they were hundreds more booking directly.

All three are full, Satchmo (great handle, btw!) There were a few open just a few days ago, and I'm kicking myself for not putting down a deposit and then telling dh! We wanted to splurge in case this is our only trip to California. It's likely that we're going to be moving much closer to Florida in the next year, so we'll be going back to WDW at some point. Splurging does not cover a suite, though.... :(

We typically use Marriott hotels, so our best bet may be to stay there and bank more reward points. We're cashing in points on our drive to California.

I'd also try one of the other sites like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity. And keep trying--I think they release rooms as the dates get closer. I got a great Orbitz deal for 20% off an already discounted premier GCH room when they were hundreds more booking directly.
Good to know!

The courtyard is brand new and is good. I've stayed at the Fairfield which is right next to it and it is fine.

as other posters have said, throw crowd predictions out the window, crowds have been crazy because of the 60th, and holidays will be even more crazy because of the recent price increase on APs, a lot of the APs will be getting their last holiday visits in on the cheaper passes. If you go in knowing that crowds will be bad and set your expectations accordingly, you'll alleviate.some disappointment. with the date range you gave, I would go toward the beginning, as it is before Thanksgiving break week. Tu/W/Th mornings are now the slow times. unfortunately you will have seasons of the force kicking off on the 16th, but I would think that would still be better than thanksgiving week.

The DLR hotels have been sold out for a few weeks. I've been trying for a room onsite with an AP discount for the past three weeks or so. I'll keep trying.

Here is a map of the DLR area with places to stay. It might give you an idea of which places to check for availability.
http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Disneyland/default.asp

This map will allow you to measure distances between the parks and the hotel location.
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=3...&m=h&gz=0;-1179189741;338091968;0;0;37549;665

This is an old thread on Walking Distance hotels It's from 2011 So go to the last few pages for current info. Pg 12 has info from Sept 2015.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/walking-distance-hotel-list-w-discussion-details-of-hotels.2796786/

Many of the places on Harbor will allow you to book a room with only a major credit card and no money up front. Know their cancellation policies.
If I were you, with those dates approaching soon, I'd be booking now.

If you book a place and find something better later, you can always cancel and go for the better one.
I've booked on Harbor only to have an on-site room open up the week before we go. I then book on-site and cancel Harbor.

Look around and I hope you can find a place that meets your needs.

Have fun
Geemo

The DLR hotels have been sold out for a few weeks. I've been trying for a room onsite with an AP discount for the past three weeks or so. I'll keep trying.

Here is a map of the DLR area with places to stay. It might give you an idea of which places to check for availability.
http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Disneyland/default.asp

This map will allow you to measure distances between the parks and the hotel location.
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=3...&m=h&gz=0;-1179189741;338091968;0;0;37549;665

This is an old thread on Walking Distance hotels It's from 2011 So go to the last few pages for current info. Pg 12 has info from Sept 2015.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/walking-distance-hotel-list-w-discussion-details-of-hotels.2796786/

Many of the places on Harbor will allow you to book a room with only a major credit card and no money up front. Know their cancellation policies.
If I were you, with those dates approaching soon, I'd be booking now.

If you book a place and find something better later, you can always cancel and go for the better one.
I've booked on Harbor only to have an on-site room open up the week before we go. I then book on-site and cancel Harbor.

Look around and I hope you can find a place that meets your needs.

Have fun
Geemo

Thanks so much! We'll book tonight and keep trying!

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement!

The Marriotts sound like a good option for you, they are within easy walking distance. The Fairfield is older and the rooms are clean but not fancy at all. I haven't stayed at the brand new Courtyard next door, but the rooms look much larger and of course it has the latest and greatest. So it really depends on what you prefer.

As far as planning the rest of the trip, I think you should be fine. A month is enough time to make dining reservations for many spots and also to plan out a good itinerary. Yes, it is going to be busy. Just let that sink in and make a good plan of attack. You can get a lot done in 2-3 days if you rope drop. I wouldn't worry too much. I have taken people to the Resort during Christmas and NYE. And we were able to have a great time.

You can always post again with what you want to get done and we can give you some advice on how to approach things. Don't hesitate to ask! :)

And just know that DL by its nature is much more flexible than WDW.

Will you be staying in Anaheim the whole time between 11/16-11/25? If so, the Best Western Stovall's Inn has availability for you, DH, and your 3 kids. Military rate of $120.60/night. It's a 10 minute walk to the parks by cutting through the GCH. Free breakfast included. You have to check out by 11am and you can keep your car in their lot up until 3pm on day of check out.l

All three are full, Satchmo (great handle, btw!) There were a few open just a few days ago, and I'm kicking myself for not putting down a deposit and then telling dh! We wanted to splurge in case this is our only trip to California. It's likely that we're going to be moving much closer to Florida in the next year, so we'll be going back to WDW at some point. Splurging does not cover a suite, though.... :(

We typically use Marriott hotels, so our best bet may be to stay there and bank more reward points. We're cashing in points on our drive to California.

i just checked the Fairfield and the Marriott, both have availability for the dates that you are looking to go. We have stayed several times at the Fairfield and are staying at the Anaheim Marriott this vacation. Fairfield is a very easy walk to the park gates. Marriott is a quick ART bus ride from the front of the hotel to the park entrance.

We really wanted to stay in a DLR hotel, and one of the three cast members I've spoken to over the last week said that cancellations do happen and to keep trying. In the meantime, I need another plan in case the magic doesn't happen...lol.

I'm looking for something within a short (10 min or less, kid pace) walking distance or opinions on the Marriott brand hotels nearby (Residence Inn, Courtyard, Fairfield, etc.) Many of the non-Marriott options are full, too.

How busy will it be between November 16-25? We'll be using the military tickets, so we'll stay for 2-3 nights. That's a huge gap, I know. When we've planned WDW trips, there was a planning website that gave crowd level predictions, and it worked very well. Is there something like that for Disneyland?
Keep checking with the DLR hotels for a Military Discount on a room.

I just looked online right now (8:45pm PST) and I see the DLH has an opening for the dates you have listed.
The earlier dates have the lowest rates. As you get closer to the 25th the nightly rate increases.

Remember you can get something now, if you decide later you it's not right you can cancel. Again know their cancellation policy.

The DLH is $403/nt for Nov 16 x 3 nights

Geemo

Y'all are the best! Thanks! I think hubby is leaning toward the Fairfield, and we might be able to stay an extra night because the rates are so good.

That seems like a good rate for the DLH. I'm going to check it now!

We did look into the military rates, but there's less availability for those rooms than the regular rates. They were good, relatively speaking, but way out of our price range.

We've stayed at all the Disney hotels and the Fairfield Inn. Of course, I love and prefer to stay onsite but I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at FFI. Our room was basic but clean. Loved having the sink outside of the bathroom! The walk is VERY easy. It took me 6 minutes pushing my 2 kids in a stroller and the best part was the staff. The staff was very warm, always wishing us a good day and then greeting us on our return. I felt the hospitality there! Room rates are great too!

We booked 4 nights at the Fairfield! If it allows for a full, third day, it's worth it! I think hubby likes the idea that a cheaper room means more time at DL or more time for the rest of our trip. Disneyland is just part of an almost two week long road trip to try to see as many things as possible!

We'll be using our 3 day park hopper on November 17-19!

Just one suggestion, if you are planning on eating on site or doing Character Meals you might want to get some dining reservations. It can be very hard to do table service meals on a walk up basis.

We booked 4 nights at the Fairfield! If it allows for a full, third day, it's worth it! I think hubby likes the idea that a cheaper room means more time at DL or more time for the rest of our trip. Disneyland is just part of an almost two week long road trip to try to see as many things as possible!

We'll be using our 3 day park hopper on November 17-19!
I'm so happy you were able to find a room! Whew..... check that off the list.
Being on a long road trip, the savings of off-site accommodations will noticeable.

While staying onsite is nice.... Off-site has its' perks too! The difference in price is HUGE.
And your family time at Disneyland will be just as magical.

By the way.... your dates Nov 17 - 19 are perfect. Weekdays are easier to manage.

Enjoy

Geemo

I stayed at the Fairfield last week and I think it's a great place. Like others have said, it's nothing fancy but in my opinion it's good enough. It's a very nice and easy walk to the parks. To be honest, it's probably just as long of a walk as it would be if you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. I have stayed at Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian and I personally don't think it was really worth the money, so if I ever go again I will stay at one of the places on Harbor Blvd.

As far as the crowds go....I was in a situation similar to you. I booked about 2 months out and all the Disney hotels were sold out. I thought it had to be a computer problem...I thought NO WAY all the rooms are sold out for some random sprinkling of days in October. Boy was I wrong. The crowds were INSANE. I can't guarantee it'll be like that for you, but I would brace yourself for it. If you are prepared, you won't be too disappointed. If you rope drop, you can get a lot done before 10; that when I found things started to get really bad. As far as nighttime goes, I would pick a show (PTN, WoC, Fantasmic) get some snacks, and just plan on sitting for an hour or two because moving around is going to be very hard.

Just remember you are in Disneyland, so even if it's crowded, it's still magical. And it'll be nice for you to see Rivers of America and that area before it's all closed off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter