Camper rental thread got me wondering…

Paulaparm

DIS Veteran
Camper rental vendor can come in and set up on your site, maybe even find out your site number to deliver before you have arrived. Yet if you rent a golf cart from an outside vendor, they can’t deliver it unless you are with them.
Is this because the golf cart rentals are in competition with Disney’s carts?
Not complaining, just wondering if there is a reason. :-)

We rented a trailer and golf cart from Meechams and our trailer and golf cart were sitting on our site when we arrived.

Meechams is an official RV rental vendor of the Fort.

"Read More" under 'RV Rentals'

RV folks can bundle a golf cart with a trailer rental.

As to outside golf cart vendor rentals, yes, Disney is protecting THEIR golf cart rental business. By making it LESS convenient to use a separate outside vendor for carts, they try to make their cart rental MORE convenient (although pricier). So you either have to ride with them, drive their truck with the flat trailer (cart on it) into the Fort, or (as I have done) meet them off-site, put their flat trailer on my hitch/truck, pull the cart into the Fort, unload cart, return trailer, return to Fort. If it is YOU the FW guest coming into the gate with the cart, that is permitted. What is NOT permitted is a non-guest bringing in a cart (essentially). But bundling a cart and trailer has been permitted.

It's the same approach they use with their Disney Minnie Van service (can come to your campsite to pick you up and drop you out) but Uber, taxis, and the ilk have to pick you up at the Outpost Check-In building (and the ride services don't DARE wander back into the loop area). Minnie Van is more expensive but thus more convenient as well.

As an official Disney vendor, you're assured of receiving a DISNEY quality experience from Meechams.

Bama Ed

Thanks for the info, @bama_ed.
When we were there in 2022, we rented the golf cart from another vendor and did the same as you to return it. We got lucky and someone else at the Fort had it before us so they just left it at the bus stop and we picked it up there!

Thanks for the info, @bama_ed.
When we were there in 2022, we rented the golf cart from another vendor and did the same as you to return it. We got lucky and someone else at the Fort had it before us so they just left it at the bus stop and we picked it up there!

Yes that option works some times, but not ALL the time.

The more days you are at the Fort, the more an off-site vendor makes financial (and overall) sense.

If you spend more time at the fort vs a park and wander around a lot like we do when we are at the Fort, a Golf Cart is almost a necessity. I have one on my wish list but i have to solve the issue of getting it to the Fort 1st. Hard to do with a non Toy Hauler 5th Wheel. For the record, my next RV will be a Class A DP God willing... not a Toy Hauler.

If you spend more time at the fort vs a park and wander around a lot like we do when we are at the Fort, a Golf Cart is almost a necessity. I have one on my wish list but i have to solve the issue of getting it to the Fort 1st. Hard to do with a non Toy Hauler 5th Wheel. For the record, my next RV will be a Class A DP God willing... not a Toy Hauler.
I have rented and also towed the golf cart there. Having a motorhome does open the options. We can tow the car. Not necessary all the time depending on where we're staying and if it's needed.
We can tow a trailer with the golf cart on it. If we are going somewhere where we'll eventually need transportation and the golf cart, our toad is a pickup and the golf cart can go in the bed. Haven't carried the cart in the pickup yet, but that's the plan.

I have seen a few carry a golf cart in the bed of a truck being toed by a Class A, usually a DP.
One of the motivation to get into a Class A vs a 5th Wheel was getting rid of the BF Truck.. i love a big truck but the gas mileage as a daily driver is a killer.

Also, if someone is renting a camper/RV, they may not have any experience driving/maneuvering it into a site. It's a lot safer for all involved to let the experts get it to the site and set it up. An inexperienced camper may have no idea how to set and hook it all up - like me! A golf cart, no problem!

So I posted this in our Rendezvous at the fort thread, where a bunch of us met to hang out and enjoy each other's company. It's from October 2020. The video is the trip from my house to the Fort. You can skip the trip to about the 31.00 mark. That's when things get fun. From that point forward you will see how much fun it can be getting into your site when surrounded by, well let's say uncooperative campers. Get your popcorn ready. Oh, you won't be able to hear my comments over the music. Good because this is a family friendly site!

I read somewhere or perhaps simply heard someone mention that fort wilderness has some of the toughest spots to back your rig into. I can only remember 1 time that i backed my 5th wheel into my Fort spot on the first try! Most of the time its the vehicles, trees, posts directly across from my spot that keep me from making that swing the first go around.

If you can back your rig into a Fort Wilderness spot, you can back it in almost anywhere.

I read somewhere or perhaps simply heard someone mention that fort wilderness has some of the toughest spots to back your rig into.
The Fort certainly has some difficult spots. Trash cans, fire hydrants, wood rail fences, tight turns, trees in inopportune spots. There are also a number of very easy spots. Remember, the Fort was mostly laid out in the 70s when 30ft was a massive camper. There have been some additions and the Premium sites were widened, but that has been a long time.
As big a challenge are the guests with vehicles, golf carts, decorations or whatever sticking into the road or parked along the edge. Many are in the parks or out and about, so no way to ask them to move. Then you get the ones like in Don's video where they watch before realizing they are the problem.

j

Last edited:
Meechams is an official RV rental vendor of the Fort.

"Read More" under 'RV Rentals'

RV folks can bundle a golf cart with a trailer rental.

As to outside golf cart vendor rentals, yes, Disney is protecting THEIR golf cart rental business. By making it LESS convenient to use a separate outside vendor for carts, they try to make their cart rental MORE convenient (although pricier). So you either have to ride with them, drive their truck with the flat trailer (cart on it) into the Fort, or (as I have done) meet them off-site, put their flat trailer on my hitch/truck, pull the cart into the Fort, unload cart, return trailer, return to Fort. If it is YOU the FW guest coming into the gate with the cart, that is permitted. What is NOT permitted is a non-guest bringing in a cart (essentially). But bundling a cart and trailer has been permitted.

It's the same approach they use with their Disney Minnie Van service (can come to your campsite to pick you up and drop you out) but Uber, taxis, and the ilk have to pick you up at the Outpost Check-In building (and the ride services don't DARE wander back into the loop area). Minnie Van is more expensive but thus more convenient as well.

As an official Disney vendor, you're assured of receiving a DISNEY quality experience from Meechams.

Bama Ed
Which is also the reason for the electric bike ban.

I'm sure one or many of us have said this, but rules be for lawyers when something go wrong, me thinks... that way someone can say, "you were breaking the rules so therefore" :

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter