Camping Early August - Weather Tips

Whitney353

Earning My Ears
Annual visits, but first time at FW | staying 7 nights, 3 park days | 2 adults, 1 pre-teen, 1 toddler

I know; it will be hot and humid. No clarification needed there. Living in Arkansas, we are avid campers. During the day, temps are 95+ degrees with humidity at 85% and higher. Nights are 70s with 60% humidity. In other words, we know what "muggy" means. What we are not used to, though, is camping in rainy conditions. August is the start of Florida's hurricane season, right? Does anyone know what the tent sites are like after a downpour? Do they drain/dry quickly? Is there flooding and/or puddles on the tent pad? Do tents easily dry or remain "wet" due to the humidity? In high winds, are the sites well sheltered by landscaping? Does Disney have arrangements for campers if outdoor conditions are unsafe for campers, or would we be on our own? I just want to understand the real risks before we commit to the trip cost.

As for that heat and humidity, we are bringing a tent fan, bug spray, and a portable a/c unit (know of a low-cost unit, tell us!). Anything else you would suggest?

I would not camp in August in a tent at the Fort. Heck, I have a popup and look at my signature, I won't Fort camp in June-July-August-September.

Muggy in summer? Yes.

Rainy in summer? Nearly every day especially by August. Afternoon showers are nearly daily. Humid at night means you never get dried out. Tent sites don't normally flood.

An AC at night in the tent might help sleeping conditions but having taken family with 3 kids to WDW often, would not want to do it in August. Parks are hot as well. Would you have some non-park days for the pool, etc.?

What would you do for meals? Try to cook/eat at site or Disney food?

Bama Ed

We’ve done Disney in summer, so we know what to expect at the parks. It’s hot, but we take our time and like our a/c breaks. We would be staying 8 days, but doing only 3 park days. The others are water park and resort/pool days. We would not cook either. The tent site would simply be for sleeping, showers, and laundry.

We have avoided rainy camping since our budget tent flooded 20 years ago and the high water washed it down river. We were teenagers then and didn’t use common sense. Ha! I know to expect some wetness at Disney. I’m more concerned with what happens if a dangerous storm were to hit.

I'll let Ed speak to the actual camping conditions as I haven't tent camped in probably 40 years. I'll talk a little about weather.
Hurricane season begins June 1 and runs through November 30, with peak around September. That is also our rainy season. It's the time of year when you get those thunderstorms that roll through around 3:30 and end an hour later. That's typical but like anyplace else it can rain all day and you can have some pretty raucous storms overnight as well. I recommend downloading a weather app. I like Fox 13 out of Tampa as they have good live radar coverage. I also have AccuWeather. Both have notifications that go off if a dangerous storm is on the way.
You all covered hot and humid. Interestingly I have found living here that while it gets hot during the day it tends to bake the humidity out. It's not unusual for me to see 100° with 24% humidity during the day. The humidity comes back with a vengeance once the sun goes down. Rinse (or wring out) and repeat. Disney property has a LOT of paved area and a LOT of irrigated landscaping which tends to push up the heat and humidity. We don't get shore breezes so the central part of the state just feels more oppressive than the coasts.
Lastly, the house of Mouse does a good job taking care of their campers during a hurricane, including putting them up in the resorts. Luckily we're in the central part of the state where there's less of a chance that a storm will make a direct hit, but even so the outer bands can still pack a wind and rain punch.
Hopefully that's some straight info to help you decide, enjoy!

My experiences tent camping once during August pretty much fall in line with the above comments. My impression of the heat and humidity (being from northern Michigan) was that someone forgot to shut off the sauna in Florida. If it’s possible, I’d do as someone upthread mentioned and get either a portable air conditioner or create a hack for a room type.

I wanted to touch on something you mentioned about the bug spray; (forgive if I’m stating something you already know) I’d be cautious about using it in or around your tent. For whatever reason I can’t recall (memory fails), the propellant used can deactivate the waterproofing in your tent. I had this happen; we had a tent that was fine in the rain until I used some spray, and leaked like a sieve afterword. A kind camp neighbor clued me in. It was too late for us that trip, unfortunately

Most everyone has covered the rain/heat/humidity. I've never tent camped at the Fort, but have tent camped all Summer in the Midwest (just north of you).

As for dealing with the rain. The Tent sites (and Full and Preferred) drain pretty well. The tent pads are actually rock (like pea gravel that is OK to camp/sleep on). The pads are also elevated above the rest of the area, so your tent should be ok from serious flooding.

If you are avid tent campers, the normal things your would do in Arkansas to waterproof the tent (seem sealing, ground cloth, fly) also apply at the Fort. There are also tents now that have boots for an air conditioner. Many on here have used them and said it makes the tent quite nice for sleeping at night. I'd definitely look into that.

j

Last edited:
My experiences tent camping once during August pretty much fall in line with the above comments. My impression of the heat and humidity (being from northern Michigan) was that someone forgot to shut off the sauna in Florida. If it’s possible, I’d do as someone upthread mentioned and get either a portable air conditioner or create a hack for a room type.

I wanted to touch on something you mentioned about the bug spray; (forgive if I’m stating something you already know) I’d be cautious about using it in or around your tent. For whatever reason I can’t recall (memory fails), the propellant used can deactivate the waterproofing in your tent. I had this happen; we had a tent that was fine in the rain until I used some spray, and leaked like a sieve afterword. A kind camp neighbor clued me in. It was too late for us that trip, unfortunately
We are not rainy day campers, so I did not know this. Thank you!

Most everyone has covered the rain/heat/humidity. I've never tent camped at the Fort, but have tent camped all Summer in the Midwest (just north of you).

As for dealing with the rain. The Tent sites (and Full and Preferred) that drains pretty well. The tent pads are actually rock (like pea gravel that is OK to camp/sleep on). The pads are also elevated above the rest of the area, so your tent should be ok from serious flooding.

If you are avid tent campers, the normal things your would do in Arkansas to waterproof the tent (seem sealing, ground cloth, fly) also apply at the Fort. There are also tents now that have boots for an air conditioner. Many on here have used them and said it makes the tent quite nice for sleeping at night. I'd definitely look into that.

j
Oh, a new tent with a/c flap is the dream! We’re just trying to get our current trusty tent to last a little longer before investing in a new one.

@wanderwishtravel

The Values have their own advantages. We stayed at All Star Sports for a short trip one winter when we had annual passes. It was fun, just different and definitely not the Fort. We still enjoyed ourselves and had a good time.

The summer daily rain is a real thing. It isn't usually very long, but could be 10 minutes or hours. There will be an odd day that you don't get any rain, but those are the minority.

j

Thanks for all the comments! I just can’t get over the rain/storm risks. So, we’re switching to a value resort. It is twice the price, but comes out minimally more with the purchase of a portable a/c considered.

I think you are saving money by staying at a Value because of factors you don't even realize yet.

You say you're from Arkansas and you know heat and humidity. I'm from Alabama for over five decades and there is no way in HE** that I would take a summer trip to WDW with three days in the parks and stay at the Fort. Check that - if I made three trips a year, one COULD be summer with rough summer/wet conditions.

Don't get me wrong - the Fort rates are cheap(er) around summer (not counting holidays) because sites are NOT in demand. And sites are NOT in demand because it's a rough time for campers even with trailers and AC - rougher STILL for tent campers. And no one loves the Fort MORE than me but only at the right times of year (non-summer).

I think you made the right choice. Although if you have a dry day in your stay at the last moment, go over and enjoy the Fort then.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong - the Fort rates are cheap around summer (not counting holidays) because sites are NOT in demand. And sites are NOT in demand because it's a rough time for campers even with trailers and AC - rougher STILL for tent campers. And no one loves the Fort MORE than me but only at the right times of year (non-summer).
We have camped in Bradenton, FL in August in our RV. But we have 2 ACs so inside the RV was nice. Outside, not so much. We were in a KOA that was originally a field so even though we were on a concrete pad, the ground around it flooded. We actually got invaded by frogs, could have been toads I don't know the difference. I kid you not, they were all around the RV outside and 2 somehow managed to get inside. Our little yorkie had a ball with those trying to catch them.

You can do it, but you’re going to get hot and wet, with a few bugs around. Nothing good In a tent in august, in Florida.
go to Kissimmee and get a reasonable motel with a/c and drive to the parks. About 1/2 the price of camping at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter