Camping in Yellowstone

LoriMomx5

Grumpy's Girl
I would welcome any advice on tent camping with 5 children (13, 13, 12, 9 and 7)in Yellowstone and around Glacier and Mt. Rushmore.My husband is detemined that this is the best way to experience this part of the country. What campgrounds in Yellowstone would be best? Animal concerns etc. Thanks Lori

There are a number of wonderful campgrounds in Yellowstone and Glacier Nat Parks. Visit their websites at www.nps.gov

In Yellowstone, Madison and Canyon are 2 centrally located campgrounds that take reservations. Do not assume you can get a site inside the parks without reservations.

Teton Nat Park just south of YS has campgrounds that are first come/first served, Colter Bay and Gros Ventre rarely fill up.

In Black Hills, check in Custer State Park, many nice places to camp.

Hi Lori,
Another great website to check out is xanterra.com. This is a site to make reservations for Nat'l & State parks. They also have alot of great info regarding each park. You will definitly need ressies. We go to Yellowstone several times a year (but stay at Old Faithful Inn) The campgrounds always appear full when we drive by! We live in Billings, Mt about 2 1/2 hrs from Yellowstone, 4 hrs from Rushmore & Glacier.

I believe that tent camping in Yellowstone is prohibited because of the wildlife:scared: , so you might want to research that.

Have fun!!

We camped at the Madison campground in Yellowstone with five children (ages 14-1) in a hybrid (part tent) RV last year. There were LOTS of families in tents. In fact, the section in Madison that is reserved exclusively for tents is the prettiest part of the campground. I agree with your dh - you have to camp in Yellowstone, and it's great to be right in the middle of things. There are plenty of water faucets around the campground, and each restroom has special dishwashing sinks, flushing toilets, and outlets (for important things like flat irons). Our entire family absolutely LOVED Yellowstone and can't wait to go again. :thumbsup2

I agree that camping is the best way to go in Yellowstone! We've always enjoyed our stays at Canyon Campground. Nice central location, good facilities.

But I'd also suggest that a night or two at the Old Faithful Inn is a pretty wonderful experience. It's funny, but when my wife and I were approaching the OF Inn by car on our last trip, we couldn't help but compare our excitement at arriving there with the feelings we experience when we arrive in WDW!

Teton Nat Park just south of YS has campgrounds that are first come/first served, Colter Bay and Gros Ventre rarely fill up.

Jenny Lake is the first come first serve at Tetons. By ALL means though, do your best to get in there! It's PERFECT! It's quite, convenient, plenty of space for the kids to play, an easy trip to the rest of the Tetons or into Jackson. It couldn't be any better (well, strike that, no showers...they are at Culter Bay...and the Bathrooms aren't as clean as *I* would like LOL). But you won't be disappointed. Get their EARLY (we stayed one night at the Culter Bay tent cabins to ensure that we were at Jenny Lake early enough to get a spot). It fills up very quickly.

Definitely make reservations for a campground inside Yellowstone. You absolutely *CAN* tent camp--and btw, the water is fabulous. It comes from a deep well and its delicious & safe to drink.

We camped at Bridge Bay last summer in a trailer. Its a large campground--try to get in the back, if possible. A lot of the trees were cut down in the front, so no shade. But the back is a little more inviting. They have bear boxes to lock up your food-- and know this: the rangers take food seriously! You cannot leave any food or food-containing equipment in your campsite, not in your tent or by your car. And no sunscreen, toothpaste, lip gloss, deodorant, or anything else that has "scent" in it. If they drive by your site and see a trashbag or cooler or water bottles or a camp stove which is not in use, they WILL stop and talk to you. If you are not there, they will confiscate the stuff they find. Don't test the ranger!

I don't htink you'll have any worries about staying in the campgrounds. The animals don't usually want to hang out with visitors. You'll see them at times--be sure your kids understand that they are NOT tame. Buffalo and elk can hurt you real bad! Stay far, far away from animals. You probably won't see a bear unless you're lucky. Don't let the kids go off unsupervised though.

Have a great time. We love YNP.

Just to let you know the park service did not cut down trees at Bridge Bay Campground in YS. It was a freak wind that blew them down!!! I guess it was a very scary event.

Anyway, camping in Yellowstone is wonderful and everyone should try camping in a national park at least once in their life!

Enjoy.

Thank you all again. I am getting more confortable with the idea of the animals. We are experienced campers but the bears especially concerned me. Keep the advice Coming! Lori

We camped in both Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, and we liked Grand Tetons much better! It wasn't so crowded, and we saw more wildlife. Another option is Flagg Ranch, which is located BETWEEN Yellowstone and Grand Tetons; I really considered that but ended up going with reservations inside Grand Tetons, then a Holiday inn in the town of West Yellowstone.

If I were doing what you're doing, I think I'd camp first in the northern end of Grand Tetons (and drive up to Yellowstone for the day), then I'd move to another campground somewhere towards Mt. Rushmore. We're staying in Custer State Park, which is very near Mt. Rushmore; however, since I have only reservations, I can't give personal information on it -- yet!

I completely agree with what others have said: You MUST have reservations for these national parks in the summer, especially with kids. Do not underestimate the crowds!

Bears scare me too! Make sure you keep a spotless camp, which means no snacks, gum or candy in the tents, bathroom items too! Keep everything in the car or in bear box when not using it.

Another thing ... any clothes you cook in, especially if you are cooking some yummy burgers .... leave in the car as well, do not sleep in them.

Major campgrounds usually are quite safe, the rangers work hard to make the bears feel unwelcome around people.

Visit www.nps.gov/yell and read up on bear safety.

The park and surrounding areas can fill up fast. Hotels too. I grew up in West Yellowstone and you'd be amazed at how many people would show up to that tiny town and just expect to be able to get a room or camp spot.
The campgrounds in the park are very safe, but if your worried there is also a KOA in west that is very nice and has a pool. I stayed there for a week when visiting family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter