Cam's New Lease on Life Journal (comments welcome!)

keenercam

Loves Mickey!
Well, some of you may already know me -- I am 41, with a great DH and DD16 and DS11. I work about 11 hours a day and take home work many nights and weekends. If I could, I'd spend every moment of my life with my husband and kids and working with Special Olympics. Unfortunately, I do have to work for a living (and to support my WDW/DVC habit!)

In February 1995 I was diagnosed with a rare, potentially fatal heart condition which should have been curable, but which 3 surgeries could not resolve. As of 1/2003, I could no longer even go through the motions of working out (treadmill) and often headed to bed by 7:30 or 8:30 at night, totally wiped out.

So, on 1/6/05 my life changed dramatically, and hopefully forever, when a nationally renowned doctor spent nearly 8 hours working on my heart and CURED me! (He had done the 3rd attempted surgery, but had to give up after 7 1/4 hours) I literally feel better than I have in 10 years and have so much energy and motivation. So, I figured now, while the fire is burning hot, I should get myself in gear, get motivated, and get FIT!

I have formed so many bad habits over the past several years -- decaf coffee every morning with cream and often a breakfast sandwich or bagel w/cream cheese (I am a carb freak) and NO exercise. My other really terrible habit was eating late at night -- sometimes as a result of leaving work so late and other times because of meetings, etc. And late at night, I would "graze" in the cabinets, eating snacks like chips, nuts, pretzels, popcorn, etc. UGH!

So, now I have a plan! My plan is to pack breakfast and lunch everyday, and if I am not going to be home before 8, to eat a premade dinner at work before leaving the office. I am also going to get back to drinking a lot of water. Finally, I have committed to walking the 2006 1/2 marathon!! I can't even believe it!

I have been completely motivated the last several days, have been eating healthy and not late at night. I went shopping and bought all sorts of nutritious and desirable foods and have been packing lunches and dinners.

So, thank you for your support as I start this journey.

My plan for today is:

B -- coffee w/skim milk; second cup with low carb flavored coffee mate (1 WW pt); whole wheat tortilla (2) w/ healthy choice ham (1); 1 cup grapes (1)

L -- turkey burger cut up with mushrooms, onions & broccoli (3 ww pts)

D -- large salad with sliced Healthy choice lunch meats and light dressing (4)

Snacks -- lite yogurt w/pretzels (3); string cheese (2); tangerine (.5)

I still have plenty of points to play with, and may need a more substantial dinner, especially if I go to the gym.

Exercise has always been UGH!!! to me, but my exercise plan seems very doable to me right now, especially since I put together a 2 HOUR workout music playlist on my Ipod -- I am hoping that eventually, I will play through the whole thing less than 2 times while walking 13.1 miles!!!!

What do you think?

Oh, yeah, one last thing, I bought lots of sugar free mints & gum, and will use those during the day to curb my oral fixation!

Thanks, guys! :grouphug:

Hi Cam,
Welcome!!!! Your story is amazing. I'm so glad you have regained your strength and feel good again. Your plan sounds like a good one. Here's pixie dust to send you one your way :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Sundie

CAM--

I'll be pulling for you!! Lots of luck on this not-so-easy journey!!

:cheer2:

Thank you so much Plutosmyfav and pettyone!

Geez, Sundy! How awesome that you lost 65 pounds! You must feel amazing.

I am really looking forward to getting to know everyone on the WISH board and hearing how everyone is doing.

Have a great day! And keep up the wonderful work! :cheer2:

Hi Cam,

Your story is definately amazing. I remember reading it yesterday in another post. I'm so glad you found WISH!! and I'm so glad you've been cured.

I can't wait to keep up with how your doing. Your going to do terrific!

Thanks for the welcome, Lizzie!

Melanie -- I am convinced that being here with all of you is going to keep me on track this year. There are so many nice people and everyone has been so kind and generous with their supportive words and their advice. I have lots of the first to offer and very little of the second. Worst of all, I have so little time on line that I don't get to post much to respond to all the threads I want to.

Recap of 1/20 and plan for 1/21

Was pretty good last night -- did 1.6 miles on the TM in 35 minutes with the help of great upbeat music. Drank another 16 oz of water while doing that. Then ate a snack (turkey sausage that I had pre-cooked for tonight's dinner; ff pringles crumbs -- wonder which of my kids left the empty can in the cupboard!? handful of popcorn) and went upstairs to avoid the fridge! Stayed within my WW points and didn't use the activity points I earned!

Plan for today:
B -- whole wheat tortilla w/healthy choice turkey; grapes
L -- turkey burger w/mushrooms, onions, broccoli (no bread)
D- turkey sausage and onions; green beans
Snacks -- lite yogurt w/pretzels; string cheese; apple; banana

Have a point cushion, and am going into my most challenging couple of days of the weekend. Will try to eat light whenever I have a choice, so that when we are socializing, I will have more flexibility.

Hi Cam! Just read your post and wanted to shout out "good for you"!! Sounds like you're doing amazingly well. Congrats.

Let me know if you want any easy and flexible recipe tips ... I've been trying to eat really healthy since the holidays (with a couple of vacations coming up soon!!). My focus has been low fat/low carbs/small portions - plus exercise when I can. Just got off the exercise bike and am settling in to watch the EAGLES!! :cheer2:

Today I made some really good "grab and go" breakfast cups - sorta like a quiche but with no crust - with broccoli, mushrooms, pepper, onion, and tomato, plus egg substitute and low fat cheese. They're delicious and so easy to make ahead of time and grab on my way to the office.

I've also been trying out some low/no fat, low/no sugar chocolate puddings and moussses ... I just have to have a chocolate fix late in the day and am trying to stay away from ice cream and cookies!!! I can let you know what I've found out.

Hope all is well with your family ... we still look at the cruise photos and think of you all!!

Mary

Thanks, everyone!

Well, I have made it through most of the weekend with no cheating and even walked 2 miles today on my treadmill. I wasn't fast, but am getting back into the swing of things.

MaryPSU -- I would LOVE some recipes. The breakfast cups sound amazing and I think I even have ALL the ingredients. If you'd like to share your recipes, I'd be thrilled, and will be glad to share mine, too. I made turkey chili this weekend to have easy to grab hot lunches to take to work. My email is keenercam@aol.com

GO EAGLES!! GO STEELERS!! UH-OH, my house is going to be chaotic come superbowl sunday if it is an all PA game!

Have a great night everyone. No more computer for me tonight, but will check in tomorrow.

Hi Cam! Just wanted to say welcome to the WISH Journals. :wave2: Your story is amazing and I'm so happy for you. ::yes:: I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Hi Cam! Welcome to WISH! You have an amazing story! I'm sorry that you had to endure such heart problems but thank God that you are completely cured, that is so awesome! ::yes::

You are doing so well already, I hope you have a wonderful week! :sunny:

Hi, everyone!
Are you all staying warm? I should have helped shovel snow this weekend or walked the dog, but I wimped out and stuck to the treadmill, instead! I did cook volumes of veggie chili and turkey chili and turkey sausage and broccoli, so I have all sorts of very desirable food already portioned in the fridge for the next several days.

Mary -- I cannot wait to try your breakfast cups. Thank you so much for the recipe -- I cannot wait to make them!!!

Kaye & Michelle -- Thank you so much for the warm welcomes! Everyone here on the WISH board is sooo nice. So, does either of you have a favorite recipe to share?

One of my favorite "fillers" is to reduce chunky salsa in a saucepan, take the veggies out of the pan, spray it with cooking spray, add egg beater, then put the reduced salsa back in the pan, cook until solid, sprinkle with fat free cheddar, and pour over lite english muffins -- on WW this is about 2.5 points (as long as you use the light english muffins that are 1 pt each). YUMMY.

I am also adding steamed broccoli or canned cut green beans to practically every entree to extend it without adding points.

Have a great day everyone!

Well, it has been 8 days. I can't believe I have been this disciplined for 8 days. I know that doesn't sound like much to many people, but for me it is a big deal. Everything in my life is so structured that I tend to rebel with food and exercise -- eating whatever I want and doing something other than exercising. I have really attempted to change my mindset to a way of thinking that the disciplined eating and the exercise are for me, and not punishment or deprivation.
2 months from tomorrow we will be at my "happy place" (WDW) -- I am hoping the pictures from this trip will be very very much less embarassing than my pix from last April. I know we aren't supposed to lose for a particular event, that this is supposed to be a way of life, but having that trip to look forward to is definitely motivating me.
So, I have many tools in place --
I have the best support system here,
I am using the weightwatchers website e-tools (meetings were just another time commitment I couldn't make and I've committed to using that time to treadmill instead)
Loaded my ipod with great workout music that is very upbeat to keep me walking fast
Ordered marathoning for mortals and the absolute beginner's guide in the hopes of learning something about how to do this -- am hoping DH will also find them interesting and helpful.
I have an exercise chart at work and at home to keep track
I made a pull off calendar with every page being a countdown to the marathon with a different Disney character on it and all typed in Disney font
I made a "walking my way to disney world" walking chart, to keep track of how many miles total I do. I'd love to do 10 miles a week -- will have to see if I can keep to that
I have been stocking up on healthy food, not touching the other stuff
Gathering great recipes (thanks to MaryPSU and others who have posted or emailed delicious sounding recipes -- can't wait to cook)
Keeping a journal in my purse of what I eat and when, to have a better understanding of my habits and thus, better able to modify or eliminate them.

I do feel energized and enthusiastic about this -- can't remember the last time I felt this way. Hope I am saying the same thing a month from now. I will take it a month at a time.

If you are still here, thanks for listening and thanks for your support!

walked 2 miles in less than 40 minutes on Tuesday night! Can't figure out whether to continue doing 2 miles and pushing to get it done in less time, or to continue doing 40 minutes and try to get in more miles. Will have to give that some thought. My marathoning books should be arriving today. Will be interesting to get some perspective on what this journey is that I have started.

Here's hoping today is even better than yesterday.

My son said something very interesting to my daughter last night. He said, "you are always thinking about where we have been and how great it was, instead of looking forward to the next thing and anticipating it and enjoying the anticipation." WOW!!! What an amazing statement from an 11 year old. I have really been thinking about that alot. I HAVE to stop thinking about where I was and where I could have been now, and instead have to look forward, have an objective and enjoy the journey.
So, I do think there are lessons to be learned from yesterday. I am proud of myself because yesterday, I stuck to WW all day. We went out to the Olive Garden last night -- I ate salad with dressing on the side and added less than 2 Tbsp to 2 plates full. I ordered the mussels for my entree and split them in half with my husband, and gave him the entire bowl of them so I wasn't tempted by the broth. I also ordered bruschetta and counted the bread and olive oil and shared it. I only drank diet soda, no mixed drink or wine. I stayed within my points. The only thing I will do differently next time is either take half of the bruschetta bread and send the rest to the other end of the table or away, or order minestrone soup instead of bruschetta. My biggest weakness dessert-wise in the world is Olive Garden's tiramisu -- I am most proud of myself because I didn't get it, even though everyone at the table urged me to and even said to get it for takeout.

So, here it is Thursday, January 27, and I have now been "cheat-free" for 10 days (reminder to self -- fix signature). Impressive to me because I know myself, even if not to anyone else. Want to go to the movies tomorrow night with Howard. Have to save my flex points and get only a small popcorn for myself with no butter. He can have whatever he wants. Think I will also cut up two pria bars and put them in a baggie for my sweet treat during the movie. Nice to have a plan ahead of time.

Gotta keep :cheer2: myself on. Our trip to WDW is now less than 2 months away. I am hell bent and determined that I WILL have lost a considerable amount of weight AND INCHES (hey, all that TM walking has to count for something, right?) before we go.

The funny thing is, I know I could lose so much more so much faster if I was willing to sacrifice and eat salads all the time and a lot less normal foods, but I am just not willing to make those sacrifices, because I don't think that is real life -- I know I wouldn't be able to stick with it and I would become resentful and rebellious after just a short time. So, I am doing this my way, actually the WW flex points way, and I am okay with the progress and the speed of progress.

Cam..... :banana: :banana: Yeah for you!! :banana: :banana:

What an insighful son you have. Isn't it amazing what kids think and say?

Sounds like you had a great day yesteday. I would not have made it OP at Olive Garden. Love the tiramisu too!! Way to go!! You rock!!

So here is to looking forward and anticipating all that life holds for your future.

Can't wait to hear of many more of your successes!!

:banana: :cool1: :cool1: :banana:

Thank you so much, Liz! You brought tears to my eyes. The secretaries here all just went out to mexican for lunch. I am going to eat my weight watchers turkey chili, a fat free brownie, and an apple. It is the encouragement I get here and the accountability I feel both to myself and to the people here who take the time and energy to encourage me, that keeps me on track.

You are a doll. I hope you have a fabulous day! :cutie:

keenercam said:
You are a doll. I hope you have a fabulous day! :cutie:

Thanks!! And by golly, I am having a GREAT day!!! Funny how this all works out.....ya see, I was thinking about getting motivated by reading some journals. Yours being the last I read, I got up and said, "Hey why not try the 3 mile WATP.....it is a long shot...but I gotta try" and guess what? I MADE IT TROUGH THE WHOLE THING!!! So thanks to you and your encouragement I did it.

Now kudows to you again, cause I don't think I could have stayed at work for lunch knowing the girls were going out for Mexican food. The chips have a way of attaching themselves to me and before you know it, I have eaten the whole basket...or maybe two!!! But hey, the salsa is good for you...right?

And with that you get the :banana: :banana: :dancer: :dancer: :thewave: cause you :rockband:

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Hey, Liz!!
WOW!!!! You did the 3 mile WATP on a whim? How remarkable!!!! :worship: You must feel sooooo proud of yourself! :cool1: I am promising myself I will walk on the treadmill tonight, and my quest is to do 3 miles. :bitelip: I just don't know if I can walk for an hour at a good pace. I will do the best I can and if I make it, you and I can celebrate together tomorrow! We can :cheer2: and :grouphug: and just be thrilled that we each did 3 miles today!

BTW, I made a "Walking My Way to Disney World" Chart with rows of 10 blocks, to mark one off for each mile I walk between now and the 1/2 marathon. :earboy2: Looking forward to seeing those blocks get marked off really quick and to having a bunch of those pages with the miles checked off. Would love to have 100 miles done by mid-March. I already have 5.6 done :teeth: Knowing I will see ::MickeyMo at the end of March should help to motivate me to keep up the pace and momentum. What is inspring you?

I'm a little jealous of everyone who works out early in the day. I feel as if I have little time and even less motivation, and I feel less than thrilled knowing I have to go home from a long day of work and work out, but I know it is good for me. I should really try to start working out in the morning. I have to compel myself to go down to the TM when the alarm goes off at 6 and walk for 40 minutes. If I did that every weekday, I'd have at least 10 miles in a week, solid. Then, I could do WATP or something at night plus other kinds of workouts, including arm and leg stuff.

Okay, new objective. Walk tonight and then starting tomorrow, get up when the alarm goes off, and walk on the TM while I watch the morning news. Think I can do it?

Have a great night everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter