Can’t decide- Grand Floridian or Boardwalk

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
I am having a hard time deciding between GF or Boardwalk for Easter weekend. I LOVE GF. It’s my absolute favorite resort. I just stayed there for 2 days in May with my oldest DD. Now, for 3 nights over Easter weekend I am traveling with DH and our younger 2, DD9 and DD6. We stayed once as a family when the kids were small but they don’t remember it.

Not sure if I should stay at GF or try something new at Boardwalk. The pool looks fun and the kids have never been on the skyliner. We could check that out and also try some new dining options since we tend to stay in the MK area. We will being a resort day on Easter but it seems like the 2 resorts will have fun activities for kids.

My biggest drawback at BW is lack of QS options. DH just frustrated when he cant get a bounty platter for breakfast or just grab a burger when he wants. I am thinking we can manage for 3 days though .

The possible construction by Easter concerns me a bit at GF but I don’t really know how it will be by then.

What do you guys think? Keep my favorite? Gallivant (as my husband says I like to do in Disney) around the beautiful grounds at GF, eat at GFC and Narcossees, swim at the GF pool, shop at Basin and hopefully they have the beautiful Easter displays as in the past?

Or try the Boardwalk around where the kids can try what looks like a cool pool, walk over to Beaches and Cream, skyliner over to Topolino?

Thanks for any opinions! No one in my family wants to chime in. They picked Bay lake tower so we have that booked for the second part of our split stay.

I love BWI so I’m biased. But the pool is nothing special really, have you considered BC/YC for Stormalongbay?
If you do stay anywhere on the boardwalk, maybe on the resort day you could schedule a sit down breakfast at Ale and Compass? It’s reasonable for what you get. You pick an entree and also get a mini buffet, if you go that route, so hubby would be happy.

Boardwalk is one of our favorites and we love the Epcot resort area. BW does have a QS issue though. Last trip we discovered The Fountain in the Dolphin or Swan, forgive me I can't remember which. However it's a small diner type place very short and pleasant walk from BW and excellent burgers. Swan and Dolphin also have a large selection of other places to eat. I would take a look. It saved us some frustration with the lack of choices at BW. Also short walk to Beach Club and they have a good QS breakfast, I think they might have bounty platter but don't quote me on that. Check mobile app for menus. For your resort day BW has a great Community Hall. Crafts and such for younger kids, video game system for older kids, pinball, ping pong etc. Also another quick service choice at Hurricane Hannas by the pool at Beach Club..don't have to access pool to eat there. Burgers, etc.

We just moved our December trip out of VGF because of the construction. I had booked it originally because we love the Gingerbread displays. The Boardwalk would be my choice for Easter.

Not sure if I should stay at GF or try something new at Boardwalk.
I would stay at GF. I think that you will be disappointed at BWI. The lack of counter service, the long hallways, and having everything outside makes this resort less convenient than GF, imo. The newly remodeled rooms at GF are drop - dead gorgeous. :)

Beach Club or Yacht Club would be a better option, imo, but then, I love those two resorts. You would get a great pool and the bounty platter. :)

I do own and love Boardwalk, but GF does have a longer contract so if buying today I might opt for it instead. BWV is fairly large so you might still be able to get into it at 7 months using your VGF points.

I am having a hard time deciding between GF or Boardwalk for Easter weekend. I LOVE GF. It’s my absolute favorite resort. I just stayed there for 2 days in May with my oldest DD. Now, for 3 nights over Easter weekend I am traveling with DH and our younger 2, DD9 and DD6. We stayed once as a family when the kids were small but they don’t remember it.

Not sure if I should stay at GF or try something new at Boardwalk. The pool looks fun and the kids have never been on the skyliner. We could check that out and also try some new dining options since we tend to stay in the MK area. We will being a resort day on Easter but it seems like the 2 resorts will have fun activities for kids.

My biggest drawback at BW is lack of QS options. DH just frustrated when he cant get a bounty platter for breakfast or just grab a burger when he wants. I am thinking we can manage for 3 days though .

The possible construction by Easter concerns me a bit at GF but I don’t really know how it will be by then.

What do you guys think? Keep my favorite? Gallivant (as my husband says I like to do in Disney) around the beautiful grounds at GF, eat at GFC and Narcossees, swim at the GF pool, shop at Basin and hopefully they have the beautiful Easter displays as in the past?

Or try the Boardwalk around where the kids can try what looks like a cool pool, walk over to Beaches and Cream, skyliner over to Topolino?

Thanks for any opinions! No one in my family wants to chime in. They picked Bay lake tower so we have that booked for the second part of our split stay.

I would do GF if those are your only choices. I love the EP resort area and love the BWI pool (the slide is really fun), but I've given up on BWI/BWV due to the lack of quick, dining options. It's just really, really inconvenient. It's really not fun if it's raining out and you just want to go grab some breakfast/snacks/lunch or you are at the pool and you need to walk over to the Boardwalk to get something other than what they offer at the pool bar. When staying in the EP area, we switch around between YC/BC/BCV and Swan - YC being my favorite as the Marketplace in the lobby is super convenient as is the ability to get to-go food at Ale & Compass. Plus you have Hurricane Hannah's at the pool.

GF is, IMHO, an overall better resort than BWI.

Would you consider doing CL at the Boardwalk? It would take care of the breakfast and snack dilemma and you’d still get to experience the Epcot resorts. I’d assume BWI CL would end up being close in price to standard at GF.

LOL---My DH and your DH must have been separated at birth! He is cranky if he can't get his bounty platter for breakfast and a QS hot sandwich whenever. The QS situation is the main reason we will not be staying at BW.

I would pick GF all the way. I REALLY doubt the construction will still be going on next Easter. They ended lobby construction this year soas not to interfere with the Christmas season and are restarting lobby construction early January. (or that is currently the plan as I have read) My assumption is they will want it wrapped up before Easter egg display season.

I would pick GF because of the food, pools, location, and ambiance. Nothing says Disney vacation better than watching MK fireworks and EWP across the lagoon each night then walking back to your room without crowds to enter slumberland. I would save BW for a try, possibly, when DH is not with you AND it's not a major holiday.

I am amused by this thread because my partner and I just had this same discussion yesterday! We decided to add an additional March trip to our travel agenda and debated between GF or BWI. Ultimately, we went with a club level room at BWI because the club level room was about $600 cheaper a night at BWI versus GF, our young son loves the performers on the Boardwalk, its walking distance to two parks instead of one, and we like the various food options close by (BWI, Beach and yacht, and whatever festivals are going on at Epcot when the trip arrives)

GF. The outside work will be done by then so the most you are looking at is interior lobby construction which while bummering would not affect the outdoors or QS. If easy access to EP/DHS isn’t a strong draw I don’t think you’d be happier at BWI over GF when you love GF so much.

GF room remodel is noticeably superior to BWI’s. GF has a rain shower, rug under the bed area that also provides some sound dampening and a desk area built into the new cabinet that runs under the tv so if your DH wants to eat in the room he has an option besides the bed or his lap.

Last edited:
VGF that we stayed in (2BR) was absolutely gorgeous. The lobby was never crowded and was just a space to relax outside of our rooms. GF with its monorail station opens up a lot of food choices too. And then there are the fireworks.

Don't forget Poly2 construction, right next to the wedding chapel, which has a long way to go, including parking lots. With the way Disney has been handling construction, I would pick BW.

Walking back from the Epcot fireworks is great, they will love it.

Stormalong is a lot with three little kids. You really have to watch your kids and walk around. It's hard for me with one.

I totally understand the QS issue - I felt the same way. However, we LOVE the location. Epcot is our favorite park so we are biased. Since you have BLT for part of the stay, that's your MK/monorail hookup. I'd do BW just for the location. Love easy access to 2 parks. Those other hotels have food options, but yes, you do have to walk so it is inconvenient.

That’s a tough one!

Grand Flo comes out in front for the early spring/Easter vibe. Has many other positives but loses some of those points if you’re already firm on staying nearby BLT.

Boardwalk - I think we’d go with this. Come late March the refurb should be very close or finished. Definitely a great year to enjoy this resort. Easy access to 2 more parks this trip. Epcot and that whole resort area are so beautiful during Flower & Garden. My DH is a bounty platter lover and instead we did Ale & Compass one morning - awesome!

Grand Floridian is also my favorite resort, however we own points at Boardwalk because it's my husbands favorite and that was my compromise for buying into DVC. I do love Boardwalk almost as much as the Grand. It's a different, more fun vibe over there. For your trip I would choose Boardwalk since you will already be over at BLT for part of your trip. As a previous poster said they will be wrapping up construction over at Boardwalk so everything will be shiny and new. The pool slide is my favorite slide on property and the community hall has so much for kids to do. By April the Cake Bake Shop and the Corn Dog stand should also be open. This won't help for the bounty platter, but they do have it over at Beach Club Marketplace. I highly recommend Trattoria Al Forno for dinner on the Boardwalk. They have great food and an open kitchen...love it.

That is an interesting one as GF is my least favorite resort and BWI is my favorite. Both resorts are under construction so I consider that a wash. I also consider the table service restaurant a wash as they both have great ones. What park will you spend most of your time in? What type of vacation are you looking for?

Things I love about BWI. It’s close to 2 parks, we walk to Epcot every night. It’s a quiet resort with less kids than most other resorts. It’s a smaller resort. I enjoy the night time entertainment and walking around the boardwalk area. Things I don’t love are the quick service options but we stay club level so it’s not really an issue for us.

Things I love about GF. Quick service (better variety of food) and location if I’m doing a holiday party. Things I don’t like. The resort is a tourist attraction and is frantic to me, the monorail (you are the last stop, I find it smelly and the last time I rode it water was dripping into my car), the pool (people not staying at the resort watching us swim was weird and made me uncomfortable to the point I left the pool), rooms seem tiny for the price, all the out buildings so while their quick service is in the main building most people have to go outside to use it (same as boardwalk) and how long it takes to get to any park but MK.

Honestly if I had a 6 year old and wanted to stay in the boardwalk area I’d stay at beach club for the amazing pool, it’s a little more kid friendly to me and their quick service has things like the breakfast your husband is looking for.

BWI is my favorite resort w/ Poly a very close 2nd. BWI was my first deluxe stay & we moved later that week to GF. I love the lobby at GF and I visit GF on every visit. I love to have a drink at Enchanted Rose. But BWI would be my choice between these 2.

If you’re doing a split stay with BLT, I would do an Epcot area resort for the convenience of the location. I love BW, and I think it’s a ton of fun for kids, but if you’re worried about QS options and want a fun pool, how about Beach Club? I do think the lack of QS is an issue at BW. For us the location and theming makes it worth it, but if QS options are important to you, there are probably better options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter