Can’t stand up

Carolwoodpr

Disney Dreamer
I can’t stand up for more than 7 seconds without falling. I will have a scooter. Sine Disneyland has many rides I will have to stand and get off my scooter. How do I combat this problem.

Would I qualify for the DAS pass?

You might, though I’m not sure how DAS would help, you would take the scooter (or WC if you have to transfer for a line) through the line, DAS won’t help with the standing issue. But more importantly, how will you be able to transfer to rides when needed? It generally takes more than 7 seconds and CM’s can’t assist you in any meaningful way. They can offer an arm to steady you, but can’t help with you getting in or out of any attraction ride vehicle, boat, etc.

My husband can help loading and unloading. I am more concerned with rides like Indy where I have to stand in many places before getting into the vehicle. Or going through exits and having to stand and wait. My balance issue is a brain issue, not an ear issue.

DAS is not for mobility issues so unless you have other needs that prevent you from waiting in a normal line you not qualify. However you should be able to stay in your wheelchair for most ride lines, or if not you will be given a return time to go through the exit.

I think the bigger concern is with the transfers. Can your husband support your full weight both in and out (eg I’m thinking about boats here like pirates)? How long does it take to transfer? Is a moving walkway a problem (Peter Pan)? If so there are rides you won’t be able to go on.

Yes my husband can support my full weight. I have no idea how long transfers are going to take. This is a new problem for me that began a year ago and this will be our first Disneyland vacation since this has happened.

I have to be careful because I can’t bend over either. Bending over causes me to pass out.

Yes my husband can support my full weight. I have no idea how long transfers are going to take. This is a new problem for me that began a year ago and this will be our first Disneyland vacation since this has happened.

I have to be careful because I can’t bend over either. Bending over causes me to pass out.
I would only suggest to take it extremely slowly in that case. Maybe start with rides where you don’t have to transfer to see how your body feels being back on rides? There are so many situations where you bend in the normal course of standing up or sitting down. Fortunately Disney cast members are wonderful. They will do what they can, but there is a lot that they legally are not allowed to do.

Good luck!

Sounds like it may be a challenging trip, there may be things you might have to skip. I wish you the best of luck!
Yes we not sure how it will go. Fortunately I will have a scooter and patient. I am never ride focused except for a few rides in each park. I love the entertainment at Christmas so that may keep me busy,

My husband can help loading and unloading. I am more concerned with rides like Indy where I have to stand in many places before getting into the vehicle. Or going through exits and having to stand and wait. My balance issue is a brain issue, not an ear issue.

DAS would not help with these issues.
The accommodation provided by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the line. Guests using DAS are given a DAS Return Time roughly equal to the current Standby Wait Time. When The Return Time comes, you enter thru the Lightning Lane or an alternate entry. But, there is still a wait when the return time comes. How long you will wait depends on how long the line is.

The most appropriate accommodation for your issues is using a mobility device. You would be able to use an ECV in most lines and if a line is not accessible, they should have an attraction wheelchair you can transfer to. For those, you would need to tell the CM at the entrance that you won’t be able walk and need to borrow a wheelchai.
Because of the age and tightness of the park, DisneyLand has some attractions that are not accessible thru the regular line; those do have alternate procedures. California Adventure is newer and has more ‘Mainstream Lines’ which are accessible and all guests wait in the same lines.

Some attractions are totally ECV and wheelchair accessible, so you would not need to transfer.
Some lines are wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible so you would need to transfer.
Some attractions have ECV/wheelchair accessible lines, but ECV users need to transfer to a ride car OR to a wheelchair to use a wheelchair accessible ride vehicle. It may be easier for you to transfer to and from a wheelchair to ride the accessible vehicle than to transfer to the actual ride car.
This link to the Disneyland Mobility Disabilities webpage gives information on which attractions fit into which category.

You may find that even though an ECV gives you more independence, using a wheelchair is actually easier - each transfer takes energy and less transfers may mean more ability to enjoy the trip.
Good luck on navigating your new challenges and having a wonderful experience

From your post it appears that you will be visiting Disneyland in California. In Disneyland Park many rides will load a wheelchair/ECV person from the exit. Most will get you very close to the vehicle but your husband will need to help you transfer. You will not need a DAS for this. You just go the front of the line and talk to a CM. They will either send to the correct spot or give a time return and explain where to report to.

The Pirates and Peter Pan rides in Disneyland are very different from Disney World in Florida. Peter Pan can stop the walk way and you board from the exit. Pirates has a platform for boarding that that I found much easier to get in and out of the boats.

The California Adventure park was built much more recently. Many of those rides, they will pull a ride car to a side spot where you can get close and board a fully stopped vehicle. If you don't have a DAS, always start by going to the front of the line and asking the CM what you need to do.

Last edited:
My body literally does not bend. Both my femur (upoer leg) bones are fused to my hip,

Does your upper body need to remain perfectly upright, or is there some tolerance, such as getting into or out of the backseat of vehicle, or leaning forward to stand from your scooter (or to lean forward to reach the controls)?

I would think staying on the scooter/transferring to a wheelchair would be the safer option (with the wheelchair being the safer of the two). That would help reduce lifting and carrying, rather than lifting, turning, and carrying, let alone stepping up or down (thinking Pirates, in particular).

A PP mentioned the Magic Kingdom. The MK is the Disney park in Florida with the castle. There is no Magic Kingdom in California (a Magic Mountain, yes (or was)), but no Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:
A PP mentioned the Magic Kingdom. The MK is the Disney park in Florida with the castle. There is no Magic Kingdom in California (a Magic Mountain, yes (or was), but no Magic Kingdom.
Thanks for catching this. I have edited the post to the correct name.

You can take your mobility device to the loading area of Indy or at least a Disney wc if they are too backed up with ECVs (Disney has wc’s for temporary use at rides that cannot accommodate ECVs). Unfortunately you still have like 5 mins of standing as you go up an elevator, cross, and go down the other elevator. Talk to CMs when you get your wc return time to see if there is an alternative.

Can you stand and walk with a walker (at least for 15 feet or so)? Some scooters come with a walker attachment in the back. Could you use the walker to get from the scooter to the ride? Then the CM would take it from you until the ride returns and they'll bring it over to the attraction vehicle for you. I haven't seen the walker attachment "in person", so I can't guarantee how well it works.

We are renting from Scooter Bug do they have the walker attachment?

We will be taking my cane.

Last edited:

We are renting from Scooter Bug do they have the walker attachment?

We will be taking my cane.
Frankly I don't know about Scooter Bug. I just checked Gold Mobility, because that's who I use. I first learned about the walker attachment when I saw a couple people with the attachments (and walkers) motoring through Epcot one day. Unfortunately I couldn't catch up to them to ask where they'd gotten the attachments, what company they used, etc. It was more a function of the crowds and people walking every which way than how fast they went.

A PP mentioned the Magic Kingdom. The MK is the Disney park in Florida with the castle. There is no Magic Kingdom in California (a Magic Mountain, yes (or was)), but no Magic Kingdom.
While technically, and for the purposes of these forums especially, this is true— during our guided Disney100 tour two weeks ago, the CM made multiple references to DL being Walt’s original Magic Kingdom.

And Six Flags Magic Mountain (aka just Magic Mountain) is still there… in Valencia, CA. They call themselves the “Thrill Capital of the World”.

A bit of personal trivia: DH & I met at Magic Mountain on Senior Fling from different schools in different states… it was love at first sight :love:. And we’re still happily together 36+ years (and 4 kids) later!! 😍:love2:

Last edited:
I am more concerned with rides like Indy where I have to stand in many places before getting into the vehicle. Or going through exits and having to stand and wait.

There is a transfer vehicle on Indy. The back row has a door that opens to allow stand and pivot transfers. They will load you from the exit side. If you just need to stay seated until load, they’ll still load you from the exit side, you just won’t have to wait for the special car.

I can’t think of any rides that would require you to stand for any length of time if you aren’t able. Even @ HM, you can take your chair or scooter right to the doom buggy. Anytime a CM asks “can you walk & stand for 5-10 minutes?” Simply, tell them “No, I need to take my scooter (or a wheelchair) all the way to the ride vehicle.” If it’s necessary, ask them if there’s a transfer vehicle and/or a transfer device available. Many rides have special cars, and many also have transfer assist devices, such as bridge boards or “bump steps” (or some say bum/butt steps, lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter