Can a 9 year old ride BTMRR by herself?

mickeysgirl17

Wish I was at Disney
I'm going to Disney by myself as a single mother with my 9 year old and 3 year old. My 9 year old loves Big thunder and wants to ride, but my 3 year old won't be tall enough so I'll have to stay with him. Will they allow my daughter to go on by herself? Will it be safe?

If she meets the height requirement, she can and will be completely safe. :thumbsup2

Once on Kali River, there was a mom and her three young daughters behind us in line, before we loaded, she ask me if they could be with us. She didn't want to ride. I made sure they all got in and buckled. So, maybe while in line, you may see someone she could sit with, like another child. (if you felt comfortable with this idea) If not, she will be fine alone.

My DD meets the height requirement and has ridden it before, just never alone. Will I be able to stand in line with her until she is seated?

I would be surprised if they let her ride it alone. They would not let my 10 year and 5 year old DGSons ride the TeaCups without an adult. Also, my DGNiece wanted to ride RockinRoller Coaster when no one else was going and they would not let her in the single rider line and she was 9 at the time. I'm not sure what the rule is but this has been our experience.

My DD meets the height requirement and has ridden it before, just never alone. Will I be able to stand in line with her until she is seated?

You should be able to, the question is, why do you feel you need to? If you're worried that she might get scared of the idea of riding alone and you want to be there to try and help psych her up to it beforehand, then that's probably a good reason. However, if you're worried that something might happen to her in the few minor moments she'd be out of your sight, remember that you are in the middle of what is probably the safest place for children on this earth. You and she will both be fine, and she will be proud that she accomplished something slightly scary without needing her mom there.

They would not let my 10 year and 5 year old DGSons ride the TeaCups without an adult.

I think the minimum age to ride alone on most WDW attractions is 7. The 10 year old would likely have been allowed to ride alone, had he not been accompanied by the 5 year old. I think a kid younger than 7 is required to have someone 14 or older with them. I don't know about the 9 year old entering the single riders line alone on Rockin Roller Coaster though. I dont know if there is a different minimum age for riding that alone or they just won't let kids do the singles line unaccompanied.

I think the minimum age to ride alone on most WDW attractions is 7. The 10 year old would likely have been allowed to ride alone, had he not been accompanied by the 5 year old. I think a kid younger than 7 is required to have someone 14 or older with them. I don't know about the 9 year old entering the single riders line alone on Rockin Roller Coaster though. I dont know if there is a different minimum age for riding that alone or they just won't let kids do the singles line unaccompanied.

Thanks. I didn't know what the rule was just what our experience had been. Helps to know though that this year the boys can ride the TeaCups alone. Going around makes me sick.

Yes. They will not force you to ride. You would simply walk right through the ride vehicle and wait for her at the exit.

Yes. They will not force you to ride. You would simply walk right through the ride vehicle and wait for her at the exit.

She will not be able to stand in line with the 3YO who is too short to ride. The only way the older child can go is if she waits by herself.

The best option for this is a fastpass so the line waiting portion will be much shorter.

She will not be able to stand in line with the 3YO who is too short to ride. The only way the older child can go is if she waits by herself.

The best option for this is a fastpass so the line waiting portion will be much shorter.

This! :thumbsup2

Unless your 3 year old is tall enough by then.... both my girls were tall enough at three.

What others have said is good.

I just want to add that at ANY attraction you can stand in the queue, and exit at the last minute. If you wanted to stand with her up until she boards there you should be fine doing that.

My other caveat, is that I always would consider how the child would react if the ride stopped. I think Big Thuinder is fine, but I'd maybe be more careful with a ride like EE or RnRC.

Oh - and you know Big Thunder is currently closed for major rehab, right? It is supposed to be closed through May 27.

Actually no, if the the younger child doesn't meet the height restriciton he/she won't be allowed in the line at all.

WDW allows children 7 and above to ride alone, children under 7 have to be accompanied by an adult.

This is correct.

Actually no, if the the younger child doesn't meet the height restriciton he/she won't be allowed in the line at all.

WDW allows children 7 and above to ride alone, children under 7 have to be accompanied by an adult.

i dont know that this is entirely true? I was in line at splash with a family in front of us that had an infant and a 2 yr old (along with the parents and older child) once we got to the logs the mom and 2 little ones scooted to the other side, while the older childer and father got to ride
maybe it was just an exception, but you could always ask at the front if its possible to wait with her and then you and your son can just go to the exit once she enters the ride vehicle. maybe explain you know your son is too short to ride and arent trying to get him to ride but rather just wait with your daughter

i dont know that this is entirely true? I was in line at splash with a family in front of us that had an infant and a 2 yr old (along with the parents and older child) once we got to the logs the mom and 2 little ones scooted to the other side, while the older childer and father got to ride
maybe it was just an exception, but you could always ask at the front if its possible to wait with her and then you and your son can just go to the exit once she enters the ride vehicle. maybe explain you know your son is too short to ride and arent trying to get him to ride but rather just wait with your daughter

We had an experience like this as well. My husband and I and our 2 year old all went through the line of space mountain, and then my daughter and I went to through the exit after my DH loaded. Worth a shot to ask a CM just in case.

Well it has been true for us - I have been in the OP's situaiton as I also travel as the solo adult with my 2 daughters. I was not allowed to wait with my older dd if my younger dd wasn't tall enough to ride.

What you describe is the old way of "child swap" which is now done via a rider swap pass so that the child who doesn't meet the height restricitons doesn't enter the line at all. Switch at the exit is occasionally done at the Space mt and Star tours but the waiting party, incluidng those to small to ride enter via the exit not the regular line.

Agree though that it never hurts to ask - just have a backop plan OP in case they can't/won't let you wait with her.

Well it has been true for us - I have been in the OP's situaiton as I also travel as the solo adult with my 2 daughters. I was not allowed to wait with my older dd if my younger dd wasn't tall enough to ride.

What you describe is the old way of "child swap" which is now done via a rider swap pass so that the child who doesn't meet the height restricitons doesn't enter the line at all. Switch at the exit is occasionally done at the Space mt and Star tours but the waiting party, incluidng those to small to ride enter via the exit not the regular line.

oh i dont know, this was just over the leap day time frame (not the actual leap day though) i dont think it would hurt the OP to try asking if she would be more comfortable waiting with her daughter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter