Can a ECV get out onto the balcony?

littlelulu33

Mouseketeer
We doing a split stay in Dec. first at Baylake and then Kidani savannah view. Is it flat to get out onto the balcony or is there a step. We did request a handicap room. Thanks

I know at Kidani you could "sort of" get out on the balcony but the balcony isn't wide enough for an ECV and you wouldn't be able to turn into it to get out there sideways. So while you could get the handles and front out there, you'd not be anywhere near the railing. I'm not sure about BLT's but we were in a SV at Kidani on opening day so I am sure about that one.---Kathy

I don't remember there being a strip, but I also don't remember there really being enough space for an ECV on the balcony. I drive an ECV and I usually only bring it in as far as necessary due to the closeness of the furniture.

The only balconies I know of that would be large enough to get an ECV out on would be at OKW. Some of the other resorts have balconies that are long, but most of them are not very deep. So you might be able to pull the ECV straight out and then back it straight back in.
But, as was already mentioned, the furniture on the balconies take a lot of the room on the balcony.

There are weather thresholds at the doors but bumping over should be possible, As said OKW has room and I know the room we had a WL had enough room, others are shallow but with some accurate maneuverability you should be able to make use of them. BLT 1br has a side entrance so that might be more practical than most.

bookwormde

There may be some variation in the balconies at WL because when we stayed there, we did not have enough room on our balcony to take DD's wheelchair out. I know that BCV has some balconies that are larger than others.

Since BLT isn't open yet and we don't have a lot of info about Kidani, it's hard to say what would fit. The plan at BLT may work because you may be able to go out to the balcony with the door from the living room area and back in thru the master bedroom if there is not room to turn around. I'm not sure what the condition would be in a studio, but it may work pulling straight out and pulling out straight. Because of the difficulties, most people using ECVs just get close to the balconies and then walk out (since most people using ECVs can walk at least a short distance).

All the balconies at Kidani are narrow- they'll be longer in a larger villa but not wider. At least you can see the animals through the slider even if you don't venture out of the balcony.---Kathy

I think all the resorts have wheelchairs for lending out and they are free.

If it means that much to you, then I would do it that way.

Also, you may be able to see pretty good without actually going onto to the balcony.

I didn't try it to know for sure, but I think I could have gotten my scooter on the balcony of our two berdoom savanna view at Kidani. It would have been tight though. My scooter is a smaller travel type. Larger ones would never make it. I would also probably have had to take it back in through one of the other doors.

I think all the resorts have wheelchairs for lending out and they are free.

If it means that much to you, then I would do it that way.

Also, you may be able to see pretty good without actually going onto to the balcony.
Just FYI - the resort wheelchairs can't be reserved ahead of time and some people have found that there were no wheelchairs when they arrived or that the wheelchair that was available was not in good shape or was not appropriate (extra wide when they needed narrow or narrow when they needed extra wide).

So, it is a good suggestion for the OP, but be aware that it may not work out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter