Can a non-rider wait in line?

halssister

Mouseketeer
Trying to get everything planned for our trip in two months....first time and we are SO excited! I will be traveling with my hubby and 8 yo ASD son (actually celebrating his 9th birthday in 2 months, on our first full day at the parks!) Hubby is not a "ride" person at all; he gets motion sickness even riding in a car. Son used to enjoy rides, but something a couple years ago something must have scared him (we still don't know for sure what) because now he refuses to go on any except the occasional "teacup" type ride at 6 Flags. He does however have a current fascination with things "up in the air", and looking down on things, and (I think) flying. So I am really, really hoping to get him on Soarin'! I'm pretty confident he will LOVE it if I can get him past his initial anxiety. He is the type to get nervous about ANYTHING at all unfamiliar, and sometimes we just have to force him into things and he ends up doing great. :thumbsup2
My big problem is hubby. I know he won't go on this, because he has a fear of heights. But my son has major anxiety issues about people in the party leaving; whenever we vacation, everyone has to stick together or he has a meltdown. I'm wondering if it is possible for DH to wait with us right up until it's time to board the ride. And, if so, are most rides like this? We'll get a GAC and use FP whenever we can (not anticipating even attempting a ton of rides, mostly doing shows), but I know that DS will freak if DH can't stay with us right up until we board on the rides. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

All WDW ride have a "chicken exit" in the boarding area which takes you directly to unload.

For Soarin', let the grouper know your DH will not be riding;this will allow for another person to be added to the row. When you enter the theater he can go directly to the exit and wait outside until you come out.

We did this with my mom in February. She doesn't ride much so she waited with us on most of the lines and then told the cast member she was not riding and they showed her the way out. This was great so we didn't feel like we left her by herself the whole trip. Michelle

Yep, it's allowed. I've done it many times so that I can wait in line with my service dog. Someone waits with me and my dog, then takes my dog out the chicken exit :)

Trying to get everything planned for our trip in two months....first time and we are SO excited! I will be traveling with my hubby and 8 yo ASD son (actually celebrating his 9th birthday in 2 months, on our first full day at the parks!) Hubby is not a "ride" person at all; he gets motion sickness even riding in a car. Son used to enjoy rides, but something a couple years ago something must have scared him (we still don't know for sure what) because now he refuses to go on any except the occasional "teacup" type ride at 6 Flags. He does however have a current fascination with things "up in the air", and looking down on things, and (I think) flying. So I am really, really hoping to get him on Soarin'! I'm pretty confident he will LOVE it if I can get him past his initial anxiety. He is the type to get nervous about ANYTHING at all unfamiliar, and sometimes we just have to force him into things and he ends up doing great. :thumbsup2
My big problem is hubby. I know he won't go on this, because he has a fear of heights. But my son has major anxiety issues about people in the party leaving; whenever we vacation, everyone has to stick together or he has a meltdown. I'm wondering if it is possible for DH to wait with us right up until it's time to board the ride. And, if so, are most rides like this? We'll get a GAC and use FP whenever we can (not anticipating even attempting a ton of rides, mostly doing shows), but I know that DS will freak if DH can't stay with us right up until we board on the rides. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

I went to WDW a few time with my ASD sons and some ride I didn't do. I waited in line with them and took the "chicken' exit as previous posters have mentioned.

Also for your DH, you have to know that WDW is nothing like 6 flags, it is amazing, magical :wizard: I always felt it was more the experience than the thrill of the ride. My DH hates rides but loves WDW. You can go on youtube and search for the rides and preview them. That helps with the unexpected.

I hope your DH gives it a tried it is truly an amazing place and we can;t wait to go back :goodvibes

Have you tried giving anti-motion sickness medicine like Dramamine :thumbsup2 to your DH so he can try and ride the rides? Perhaps if your DH rides the rides your ASD son will not be as nervous (if he see's Daddy going on it might give him confidence?)

Have a great trip.....many times with my ASD DD princess: we just walk around and relax and have a BETTER time then trying to get on all the rides.

Here are some pictures of the whole line for Soarin’ so you know what to expect and can show him.
2590Soarin_Slide1.jpg

You can click here and get a bigger picture if you want. (You need to click the picture).

2590Soarin_Slide2.jpg

[URL="http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/500/medium/2590Soarin_Slide2.jpg”]Click here for a bigger view of this 2nd part of the queue.[/URL]

2590Soarin_Slide_3.jpg

[URL="http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/500/medium/2590Soarin_Slide_3.jpg”]Click here for a bigger view of this 3rd part of the queue.[/URL]

Ooh thank you so much for the pictures of Soarin! Those are wonderful and will definitely help me explain to DS what to expect. We found a great youtube video as well that shows some still shots of the benches and how high they go, as well as the entire video that you watch on the ride, so we're going to view this alot ahead of time. DS still goes back and forth on it but he's leaning more towards wanting to ride now :thumbsup2
Dramamine makes DH really sleepy, he tried it once for a flight and almost felt worse from the effects of the medicine! I do hope once we're there he'll try a few rides, though I don't expect Soarin to be one as, even without the motion sickness, he has a HUGE fear of heights! But I am totally preparing to let the magic take over and plan on all of us having a great time :)

I love TOT so much... except for that whole falling bit! I go in the line with my dare-devil sister all the time and then "chicken out." I love the chicken exit because it ends in a very smooth cement ramp to a long hallway of smooth cement...

I love to let my manual chair go down fast in my own "Tower of Terror" and glide down the hallway! Maybe not advisable if you don't have a custom fitted lightweight manual chair you use everyday... and maybe not even then, but it is still fun :)

For Soarin' I had a thought about asking for the third row, you won't be so high up.

My DS(11) uses those chicken exits all the time. He enjoys wandering around the shop or will find a spot to sit and wait. We take his Nintendo DS with us in the park and he plays with it.

Has your husband tried the non drowsy versions of Dramamine-- the generic name is Meclizine HCL. It is labeled as Dramamine II or Bonine or a store brand, just check the label for the actual drug name. Dramamine puts me right to sleep but this stuff does not and I have taken it for years. Sometimes I will get a little sleepy if I am just riding in the car or sitting around, but as long as I am active and doing things then I do great. You can also take it before bed and that can help. If I do that I take another one around lunch time.

You might see if he wants to try that at home and if it doesn't make him sleepy then try it at the parks with some of the slower rides and see if it is helping.

He might also want to talk to his dr about the patch (Scopolamine?). People have different reactions to it but it didn't make me sleepy or any of the other side effects that would have been worse than using it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter