Can a person using a cane access the moving walkways rides?

KodakFigment

Mouseketeer
Taking Mom for her first visit to MK tomorrow. She is 88 and refuses to use a wheelchair or ECV. She is mobile with a cane and lots of stops. I have two main questions 1. Are the MK rides like People Mover, HM, Pirates, Pooh, etc. doable with someone who is using a cane and walking slowly? 2. Would we need a GAC because she can't stand for long periods? Thanks!

People Mover is not possible for me.
HM will stop the belt. They are really understanding about it.
Pooh & Pirates will give you ALL the time you need. They are great!

Cannot stop Peter Pan, cannot stop Nemo at Epcot either. It has something to do with restart.

Have a great time! :goodvibes

The People Mover and Peter Pan cannot be stopped or slowed. Whether she could maneuver with strong support from you or others in your party is something you'll have to decide. Most rides will slow the moving walkway or even stop it if you let them know ahead - mention to the first CM you see and each after that, don't wait until you are at the boarding area as often this is controlled at the unload and they may direct you to load there. You can ask at Guest Relations if a GAC is needed for that, though the cane SHOULD be the visual sign to a CM that the person has a mobility need.

Unfortunately WDW's response to stamina issues requiring a seat in line is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. While there maybe benches or seats in SOME (a very few) alternate waiting areas, it's not many seats they will not require another guest to vacate a seat if there first. Does your mom realize how much walking there is at the World? Most people walk 7-10 miles per day. I'd encourage her to think about this option - as a way to make the vacation enjoyable for all, not just for her.

Enjoy your vacation!

Taking Mom for her first visit to MK tomorrow. She is 88 and refuses to use a wheelchair or ECV. She is mobile with a cane and lots of stops. I have two main questions 1. Are the MK rides like People Mover, HM, Pirates, Pooh, etc. doable with someone who is using a cane and walking slowly? 2. Would we need a GAC because she can't stand for long periods? Thanks!

I don't think a GAC would help because they would probably suggest an ECV or a wheelchair, but that is certainly up to you and Guest Services. Would your mother accept a rollator? That is like a walker with a seat. She would then always have a place to sit, even in lines.

Bless your mum, my mum has been going to Disney since it very 1st opened and has gone every other yr since,
The last 2 trips she had to give in and use an ECV due to knee surgery & bad hips plus s leaky valve which effects her breathing,which in no way shape or form did she want to do!

My mum is 80 this yr & at 1st 3 yrs ago she got on with the ECV fine , she actually really enjoyed it as we stayed at Akl and it was a very long walk to our room at night,

This last trip however she really struggled it was so busy and people walked infront of her plus kids run out from no where, it scared her so much she lost her nerve and for the 1st wk of our trip she stayed at our resort :( not going to the parks which upset myself & my boys!

After that wk Dh. & myself decided we was going to rent a wheelchair from Disney and push her as we did not want her missing out anymore, she was much happier not scared and was able to carry on for the next 2 wks :)

I'm telling you this because at. 88 in a busy park I would hate for her to have this problem,

I would suggest if you do go down this route as others have suggested that
1. She goes and practices on ECVs in the supermarket to see how she copes,
2.go at quite times to start and then build up to the busiest time so she knows what it's like to have people walk on front of you etc

Also think wether you could push her is a manual chair, I'm 5ft nothing and 8stone 6 I found it relatively easy to push my. 12 & half stone mum around as its smooth and flat.

Just to add my mum did Peter Pan, pirates etc and with the help of me or Dh managed the moving walkway just fine, just be prepared to act quickly,

Some moving walkways are squishy and that may make some persons who use canes a bit more nervous. But many persons can adapt to it okay.

Some have rigid panels like escalator steps, but as moving walkways the panels don't raise up like steps.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions. The concierge at the Poly suggested a GAC but we were hoping to not need one because I believe they are abused too often. We stopped at Guest Services in MK to ask for the Disabilities access map. The girl outside said, "ask for a GAC, then you won't have to explain to every single cast member what you need" So we went inside and asked and the Guest services CM suggested we just use Fastpass. Well I knew that wouldn't work because FP requires you to crisscross the park - exactly the opposite of what we were trying to do- and we weren't planning on riding the headliner attractions that have FP queues. She wouldn't give us a card.

After pondering this for a few minutes I went back in and asked again. So glad I did! What the card enabled us to do was to use the handicap entrance/load areas at most of the attractions and to have the walkways slowed when possible, without having to do a full explanation at each ride. As Mom's confidence grew we were able to do more and more.

The best comment was that Disney really knows how to help people who need help without making them feel helpless!! She had a BALL!!

KodakFigment said:
Thanks all of you for your suggestions. The concierge at the Poly suggested a GAC but we were hoping to not need one because I believe they are abused too often. We stopped at Guest Services in MK to ask for the Disabilities access map. The girl outside said, "ask for a GAC, then you won't have to explain to every single cast member what you need" So we went inside and asked and the Guest services CM suggested we just use Fastpass. Well I knew that wouldn't work because FP requires you to crisscross the park - exactly the opposite of what we were trying to do- and we weren't planning on riding the headliner attractions that have FP queues. She wouldn't give us a card.

After pondering this for a few minutes I went back in and asked again. So glad I did! What the card enabled us to do was to use the handicap entrance/load areas at most of the attractions and to have the walkways slowed when possible, without having to do a full explanation at each ride. As Mom's confidence grew we were able to do more and more.

The best comment was that Disney really knows how to help people who need help without making them feel helpless!! She had a BALL!!

I'm so pleased the GAC made such a difference for you, and was a great help!
Many people feel the way you do about the abuse of them but when you need one you need one, & that's all there is to it!
Unfortunately with so many different disorders & disability there is just no way of knowing wether or not the GAC is being abused!

They are really clamping down on giving out GACs or not giving the usual accomadations for alternate entrance due to this ( I just hope they don't keep turning people away that have no way of doing parks with out 1) so I'm really pleased that you went back in again & got one :)

X

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter