Can anyone help - College living and Disability Services not helping.

Does your son know the layout of the college? Does he understand how large the college is? Where are the dinning hall and library located? Being "close to his classes" is very subjective and the 2nd semester classes could be located father away than the 1st semester classes. I am sure the campus is handicapped accessible but he may very well need a wheel chair or scooter to get everywhere he needs to be. I would think 1st floor would be a reasonable accommodation but unless the law covers that, it may not happen. He is a freshman, they get bottom rank. If a upgrade to a single room or a suit is possible, that might be your only option for the room. I doubt they are going to honor a single over a double request.
This has not been mentioned but would it be better for him to take the semester off to heal a bit before going back to school. It seems to be a very serious surgery that may effect his physical ability forever. A semester is not such a long time when you look at it a lifetime walking ability . Prayers for you all. Sending one off to college is hard enough without added stresses!

I don't have time to write out a long response right now but 2 things stick out to me as someone who used disabilities services for my 3 years at my school...

1) your son needs to be the one to talk to disabilities about what services he does and does not qualify for. Not you...your son. As far as I know, at my school, disabilities counselors will not talk to parents unless there is some extenuating circumstance. I know this because we had to deal with that issue up front because I had brain surgery the summer before school started so I was not able to fully function while recovering....after I met with diabilities right before surgery, I filled out a form that stated that my parents and specific physicians had to be allowed to talk to disabilities if necessary in the case of emergency surgery, intubation, and extended pain med need (because it created "brain fog"). We had to use that form a couple of times for my situation. Otherwise, the counselors will not talk to the parents without the student present because it's not high school anymore.

2) there's a chance they will not make accomodations until AFTER the surgery. Maybe right before depending ont he accomodation. I know that our disabilities services would not make accomodations for a situation that did not exist yet. It sounds like your son won't need accomodations until spring quarter.....so that's when accomodations would go into affect. At least that's how it happened here. Physicians had to fil out a disabilities accomodations form that stated the illness/injury, how it was diagnosed, the treatments, the limitations, and whether it was permanent, temporary, or length of college education. They had to put the date of start and end of illness/injury if it's not permanent and that's when the accomodations would start.

Oh....and I know here disabilities services requests a LOT of information. And they have the right to call the physician if they feel necessary or require more information. I know that happened with one of my physicians because a reason it was determined that I needed testing accomodations for was a little unusual. It all worked it fine, they just had to check with my physician about what exactly was necessary to ensure things were safe for me.

I don't mean to be rude but after using disabilities services myself and doing some volunteer work in the office, I think you might be expecting too much. I think your idea of reasonable accomodations may not be what is actually deemed reasonable by the school.

Thank you for replying. All the answers have been helping/guiding me. My son has been dealing with the different departments for the last 4 weeks. He asked today if I would try to help. Since he is under age, I did not encounter anyone who wouldn't speak with me.

We have sent authorization to the college to access any files/test results and have provided all information they have requested and offered to get any others. So I feel like that part is covered.

My son's disability is actually on-going starting from the visit to the surgeon onward. He is restricted on what he can and can not due. That is why we are working on this semester and next semester. Thank you for your list #2. I will get that information from the doctor and send it off. They have not asked yet but from the replies it looks as though it would be helpful.:)

Has your son considered taking online classes for the semester-possibly at home? Online is increasingly an option for most schools and might ensure that he heal properly.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thank you for replying. All the answers have been helping/guiding me. My son has been dealing with the different departments for the last 4 weeks. He asked today if I would try to help. Since he is under age, I did not encounter anyone who wouldn't speak with me.

We have sent authorization to the college to access any files/test results and have provided all information they have requested and offered to get any others. So I feel like that part is covered.

My son's disability is actually on-going starting from the visit to the surgeon onward. He is restricted on what he can and can not due. That is why we are working on this semester and next semester. Thank you for your list #2. I will get that information from the doctor and send it off. They have not asked yet but from the replies it looks as though it would be helpful.:)

Are the accomodations different though now than what he will need after surgery? What restrictions is he on now? It's different than high school...he is expected to monitor on his own what he can and cannot do.

Disabilities is basically there to make sure that a disability does not interfere with classes....and only classes (and housing). But disabilities does not extend to anything beyond academics and housing. And adequate housing means that if the roomis accessible and there is an elevator, they don't have to make any other accomodations. Can he just get a wheelchair or shooter or something to get to and from class and walk around at other times? I know that's what a lot of people with temporary leg injuries/surgeries did at my school if they were supposed to walk at least some of the time. And honestly, a lot of them used crutches as well.

But disabilities might only accommodate what his CURRENT condition is. Most likely they will not accommodate what is being requested for post surgery until after the surgery.

Have you considered the possibility of him taking a semester off for medical reasons? Or maybe only going part time or online classes? It's not ideal but I had to do that last fall during my senior year. I was on restricted activity and was supposed to be under constant watch because of some complications about 5 weeks into the quarter so I had to drop down to part time. Luckily because of my accomodations I was able to complete basically everything online....I just went bak for the final exams.

This is just from my perspective but with this type of recovery and activity limitations plus what sounds like is going to be a lot of rehab/therapy, it might be something to consider. College is rough to begin with and if he is already done with GE classes, you don't want his grades to suffer in major classes because of recovery.

I started my first quarter at school about 10 weeks post brain surgery. My doctor cleared me to go but I still could not lift anything heavy, I couldn't drive, and I was still weaning off pain meds. I was also in weekly PT for the first quarter. I managed to make it through the quarter and I did pretty well but if I had to do it all over, I would have waited to start in winter quarter for medical reasons. Just another perspective form someone who has dealt with a complicated recovery in college.

With the double/triple issue

Have you thought to ask for a wheelchair accessible room rather than insisting on a double. Even though he is not planning on needing a wheel chair but he might. it also sounds like he would need the space that is required to move a wheelchair so that he can walk around safely.
The end result would probably be a double.

Just curious but what about waiting until next year for your son to go to college?

He worked extremely hard to get the scholarships, grants, etc to go. He is very determined.

Not sure how this is going to play out though. The surgeon's office that was suppose to call in the results to me and I would schedule the surgery in Sept/October. Well I got a call today and they want my son in for the results. Not sure how this is going to play out. He will not have the surgery until December and as a parent I am worried why all of a sudden he wants us in the office. I am a bit uneasy about everything now!

Tinker'n'Fun said:
He worked extremely hard to get the scholarships, grants, etc to go. He is very determined.

Not sure how this is going to play out though. The surgeon's office that was suppose to call in the results to me and I would schedule the surgery in Sept/October. Well I got a call today and they want my son in for the results. Not sure how this is going to play out. He will not have the surgery until December and as a parent I am worried why all of a sudden he wants us in the office. I am a bit uneasy about everything now!

Is it possable that the school could defer his scholership to next year when he is more mobile?

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

Taking off a semester for medical reasons should not affect scholarships or grants. At least that's what I was told. But that is something that would have to be discussed with his academic advisors and financial aid.

But I would seriously consider that option for spring. That would give him around 7-8 months to work on his recovery and would be a lot less stressful than being at the beginning of a recovery and trying to continue with a full course load. That would definitely be something to consider if any of his scholarships or grants are merit based because if he struggles spring semester with recovery in combination with classes, it could impact those grants if his grades suffer. I'm not saying that would happen (I don't know your son obviously) but I just want to gve you all sides of possibilities from someone who has been in a similar situation dealing with medical problems all throughout college.

Is it possable that the school could defer his scholership to next year when he is more mobile?

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

Taking off a semester for medical reasons should not affect scholarships or grants. At least that's what I was told. But that is something that would have to be discussed with his academic advisors and financial aid.

But I would seriously consider that option for spring. That would give him around 7-8 months to work on his recovery and would be a lot less stressful than being at the beginning of a recovery and trying to continue with a full course load. That would definitely be something to consider if any of his scholarships or grants are merit based because if he struggles spring semester with recovery in combination with classes, it could impact those grants if his grades suffer. I'm not saying that would happen (I don't know your son obviously) but I just want to gve you all sides of possibilities from someone who has been in a similar situation dealing with medical problems all throughout college.

Thank you both. I would prefer it, but he is so determined and at 17 almost 18, I know longer am able to reason with him. It's not a bad thing, he is breaking away and I get that. But I am afraid the test results are bad since we have to go in and the doctor is going to require the surgery now. I am so afraid my son will ignore it. He turns 18 in around 5 weeks and I will no longer have a say. I see the big picture, but he see's what he wants right now!!!!

I am in a holding pattern now. Have to get all the information back from the University and also the surgeon. I must admit I am really upset that they will not tell me over the phone and can't see him for 4 weeks. He will be unable to get the money back at that point and I know the longer we have to wait the more determined he will be to just go.

I am going to try to call the MRI place and see if we are able to get the test result. I think we have legal rights to them, but again I am not totally sure.

Just keep him in your thoughts for a good outcome. I really appreciate everyone who has posted and I really am taking everyone's suggestions very seriously.

Thank you both. I would prefer it, but he is so determined and at 17 almost 18, I know longer am able to reason with him. It's not a bad thing, he is breaking away and I get that. But I am afraid the test results are bad since we have to go in and the doctor is going to require the surgery now. I am so afraid my son will ignore it. He turns 18 in around 5 weeks and I will no longer have a say. I see the big picture, but he see's what he wants right now!!!!

I am in a holding pattern now. Have to get all the information back from the University and also the surgeon. I must admit I am really upset that they will not tell me over the phone and can't see him for 4 weeks. He will be unable to get the money back at that point and I know the longer we have to wait the more determined he will be to just go.

I am going to try to call the MRI place and see if we are able to get the test result. I think we have legal rights to them, but again I am not totally sure.

Just keep him in your thoughts for a good outcome. I really appreciate everyone who has posted and I really am taking everyone's suggestions very seriously.

I completely understand. I was 21 when I transferred into my university and I had already taken a year off from college right after high school for medical reasons so I was determined to go. I didn't get clearance to attend school until the week before move in but I was determined that if I got the okay frm my neurosurgeon, I was going to go no matter what. My mom also tried to talk me into waitin a quarter to start (we are on the quarter system here) but I was too stubborn to listen. This year after graduating, every single one of my doctors (all 7 of them atthe time!) admitted that they thought I should have waited but they didn't think it was their place to tell me that.

Is there anyone else besides you that would be honest and blunt with him abut maybe taking sometime off after surgery. Moms usually gve the best advice but as you know, as the kids, we don't always listen to the parents even if we know they are right. So maybe if you think he should consider the option of a leave of absence in the spring, is their someone else who he might listen to who would talk to him about it?

I know that if someone else besides my parents discussed the options with me, I probably would have considered it more but at the time, no one else thought it was any of their business even though they agreed with me waiting.

You are on the right track by contact the ADA OCR office. Some of what you are talking about is covered under section 504 and some under the larger standard.

There are always 2 questions, standing (does the disability qualify) and reasonable accomidation standard.

It is clear by the initial response from school that they could use to be "educated" by OCR and need to address the issue properly even if the specific accommodation requested are not the final ones to help.

bookwormde

As PPs have suggests, there are a number of issues that have complicated the problem at hand.

The college is required (assuming it receives federal funds) to meet ADA and 504 requirements. Note that, for college campuses, there are some additional peculiarities with respect to when buildings were constructed and what architectural modifications may be required.

One communications challenge in the situation at hand is documenting the current versus future needs. Does the documentation specify that adjustments are needed for the limitations currently faced, or only those beginning after surgery? There are no requirements for the institution to provide reasonable accommodation prior to the need.

As far as floor space is concerned (and it shouldn't be, unless he is using a wheelchair or scooter), the real question is what is the square footage per room occupant. That could vary on any number of factors.

As to a low versus high floor: how capable is your son of doing stairs? (Can't/severe risk of injury/mildly painful/not smart/ok) if there is an approved fire safety plan (safe room, etc.) to meet the needs of someone who can't do stairs, you may have a challenge in mandating a low floor if there is a room that meets all other access needs that happens to be on an high floor.

What accommodations does he require for bathroom access/hygiene? If he needs grab bars/handheld shower/raised toilet/etc., these may not be available in restrooms on every floor.

As others have mentioned, college life is more than being in class and the dorm and can involve a lot of moving around buildings. I would be careful in establishing a class schedule that gives sufficient time to get between classes, using whatever the appropriate transportation means.

Note that disabled/handicapped parking spots can be few and far between, are usually available only on a first-come, first-served basis, and shouldn't be relied on for last-minute parking. I had much more success in working with the private university I attended for my undergraduate career than my (public) graduate school.

See, here is where I disagree. In our house hold, 18 is just another number. If he is living on his own, paying for or has scholarships for 100% of his school plus money for all the extras including gas, toothpaste etc then he gets to make 100% of the school decisions. if he has his own insurance that will cover, or he will cover 100% of the surgery cost and recovery related expenses, then, yes, he gets to make all the decisions. If he is truly a 17 year old, going off to college and you can not reason with him about his lifetime of physical ability, then if left to his own accord, he's going to make some bad choices.
Legally he DOES have the right (or will soon), to decide when to have the surgery, and when to return to school etc, but he needs to know that if you have to support him in any way while he makes these choices....YOU DO GET A SAY.
It's like college freshmen getting so excited that their parents can not see their grades without THEIR permission. No problem, but we do not write that check for anything until we do see the grades! Never an issue for us, but has been for others we know. That is such a delicate age, but remember you love your kid, not the government that made the 18 year old legal. Prayers for good news at the Doctor!

Does he know anyone who is at college now? There is so much more to college than classes and I would be afraid he is going to miss out on so much his first semester because of the surgery. If it was going to be something he has to deal with the rest of his life I would send him, but since it seems like he will be doing much better this time next year, I would try to get him to hold off this year and start fresh next year. Maybe take on-line or community college classes this year and then next year he would be ready to rush or any of the other things the campus has to offer that he may not be up to doing this year.

If he knew someone in college now, he could talk to them about how important it is to get connected in campus life and if he is worried about just trying to function with is ankle, he will be missing out on the whole other part of college life.

Thank you to everyone who is reading. I have been taking notes and putting all my ducks in a row.

I will answer a few questions though.

My DS is paying 100% for his college. We worked this out with both our children. We paid for private High School and they are paying for college. DH and I will pay a set amount each month after college towards any loans they have to pay. We did this to give them a sense of responsibility while in school. I know many disagree with this, but that is how it is done so yes he has a say in when he will start.

I do think having someone else talk about moving the surgery if the doctor recommends it.

Since we have to go in and get the results I have been making a list regarding what information I would like copies of and how we can re-write the limitations for his dorm life.

Regarding the question about if his disability is now or only after the surgery. As of now he is being considered temporarily disabled. There is no stability in his ankle and it is braced. Actually it is more important now than after the surgery on some of the limitations. He has to be extremely careful when walking now and can not leave the house without being braced.

We plan on doing Disney the week before and he will need to use a wheelchair most likely. We are doing a very laid-back trip but I don't want to make it worse for him.

Again, I really want to thank everyone for showing me the reality of what I can expect and those I should change. I am really hoping this all works out. My nerves are shot right now with the not knowing. It was better when I could just think about the December surgery and now I have a huge "Unknown"!

Out of curiosity, what university? University of South Florida, Stetson, University of Tampa? Somewhere else?

I would see if your son could talk with other disabled students. He will get an idea how difficult getting around campus will be for him. After getting information from them he might decide to take time off to recover.

OP,
My daughter switches between a prosthetic, crutches and her wheelchair for her mobility. Years from now when she is ready for college, we will be requesting an accessible room for her even though her wheelchair is not her primary means of getting around. I can't imagine her trying to manuever in a typical cramped dorm room with her crutches OR her wheelchair. Although you stated a wheelchair is not planned, having gone through several surgeries with her, and my husband when he had major leg surgery, I would bet your son will use one, if not just short term, more likely part time for a while.

Bathrooms especially can be difficult when you aren't use to balancing well because your other leg hurts, etc. With an accessible dorm room, hopefully he will be given an attached accessible bathroom with bars, etc which would really make his life easier, and SAFER.

I'd discuss this with his physician and see if he would change his recommendation to reflect accessibility, not a double.

I'd go on google maps and check out the size of the college campus - even my daughter's little college in Boston has a lot of walking between the dorms and academic buildings. I really think he's going to need a scooter for mobility. Is he going to be able to walk half a mile to and from classes, to the dining hall, etc?

Also, if he has to use a scooter, they'd have to give him a dorm room that would be able to fit it in the room - no way should he leave it out in the hall, or in some 'secure' area, as I'm betting that there would be some idiot who would think it would be funny to use it, steal it, or mess with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter