Can anyone help me with San Fran transportation?

kkmcan

Official Mouse Fan
I posted a thread a while back about our trip to San Fran this coming Oct. I needed help with the itinerary and everyone so generously gave help and advice. Now that that's done I need help figuring out how to get from the airport (San Fran) to our hotel (Wyndham Canterbury) near China Town.

We weren't going to rent a car since it costs $30/day to park it and we wouldn't be using it anyways. But how do we get from the airport to hotel? Can we take Bart? Should I look into shuttle services? We will have our luggage so I'm not sure about Bart or even how close it would take us to our hotel.

Any suggestions?

Is this the Wynham on sutter? I stayed really close to one there.

Yes take Bart, it's only a few bucks a person so low on the expense amount, but it doesn't run way late at night, will you be arrive during normal day hours?

Since you will have stuff I would take the cable cars right above/next to the Powell station, one way or the other I'm guessing you will be using them so may as well get a ticket. Use it to at least get up the hill and then go across or down to your hotel.

If it is the Wyndham on sutter then it's just over 2.5 maybe 3.5 blocks not too bad almost level road.

Yes, its the Wyndham on Sutter. We will be arriving around noon so it won't be night.

I'm confused though. So, we take Bart and get off where? Then we take the cable cars up the hill?

Does this plan work well with rolling luggage? We are a family of 4 so we will have at least 2 -3 suitcases. Are we going to look like complete tourists or do lots of people do this?

Thanks for your advice, just need a little clarification. :thumbsup2

I visited my daughter last year in San Francisco and I took the BART to Union Square and then I had to go up a flight of stairs and I came out into a section of Union Square where there were a number of stores. I remember a Forever 21 store was close by. I then took a bus to my daughter's apartment. I did feel a bit awkward with my luggage but I did see other tourists doing the same. This time when we go to visit I am thinking about getting a cab because there will be 4 of us. I think my daughter said it will be about $40 to get a cab from the airport to her place. I can't remember what I paid for BART but I think if I times it by 4 it won't be that much of a difference. Hopefully, some of the locals can give you more information.:)

Yes, its the Wyndham on Sutter. We will be arriving around noon so it won't be night.

I'm confused though. So, we take Bart and get off where? Then we take the cable cars up the hill?

Does this plan work well with rolling luggage? We are a family of 4 so we will have at least 2 -3 suitcases. Are we going to look like complete tourists or do lots of people do this?

Thanks for your advice, just need a little clarification. :thumbsup2

You get on Bart at the Airport. Take it to Powell street. The station is submerged when you come up and orient your self their is a little kiosk for tickets and the turn table where you get on. It's a fairly busy place with people around and all within easy site of each other.

Since it is uphill to Sutter St. from this spot I suggest taking the cable cars. You can ask the conductor or operator where to get off for Sutter St. The stops is either right before or after the cable car crosses Sutter.

The problem will be the luggage. Their are escalators or elevators at the Bart stations. The cable car will be tight and most likely crowded.

In this spot it is very touristy. As PP mentioned their lots of shops and such. You can always find people rolling luggage around.

Personally, I would say forget Bart and take a cab. I would not want to take my kids (who would be cranky from the trip) on Bart, then on a very crowded cable car to a hotel... It is going to take time to get on Bart and the cable car and then you are going to have to make sure you know where you are going or take the chance of getting lost... For me, the cab would be well worth the money... Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love BART, take it almost daily, and have taken it many times to the airport. But a family of 4, new to town, with luggage & carry-ons, maybe tired and/or jet-lagged and/or hungry? I'd take the cab if I were with my kids. Sometimes the cable car at Powell has an absolutely HUGE line, and a very long wait, and it's a bit too far to walk w/ all your luggage (though it will be an easy walk when you are touring). Plus, paying for BART for 4 and cable car for 4 -- you are not saving that much over a cab.

Good luck and have fun here in SF!

Personally, I would say forget Bart and take a cab. I would not want to take my kids (who would be cranky from the trip) on Bart, then on a very crowded cable car to a hotel... It is going to take time to get on Bart and the cable car and then you are going to have to make sure you know where you are going or take the chance of getting lost... For me, the cab would be well worth the money... Just my opinion.

I think we will go with a cab. I just don't know about using BART and cable cars to get to our hotel with our luggage. It's all very intimidating. After all, I'm from Tucson where there aren't any subway systems, we don't take buses or other means of public transportation.

We do plan on using the public transit for our sightseeing but it does scare me to not know how to get around on it yet and having our luggage and kids.

Ok, so anyone know approx how much it will cost to get a cab from airport to our hotel on Sutter?

I appreciate all the replies and advice.:)

Perhaps the hotel can offer you some suggestions. If it were me, I would:

Take BART from Airport to Union Sq. then a quick cab ride to the hotel. The BART station has a handicapped accesible path - 2 elevators from street to train level. The details are listed on the website for the Powell St. stationhttp://www.bart.gov/stations/powl/index.aspx

There is no way I would attempt a cable car with luggage, it was tricky with a family of 4 and 1 single backpack.

ETA: Your kids are not toddlers and AZ to SFO is not like going cross country. Where I live we have no mass transit like BART and we look for opportunities for our kids to get the types of expeiences that they don't get at home. It would be an adventure

We found a cab to be pretty cost effective and much easier for 3 people from SFO to Fisherman's Wharf last summer. BART is going to be at least $8 each into town, add the bus cost in and I'd bet you're close to a cab. Think we paid ~ $45 or so. Shuttle vans were about the same cost as cab, and they charge per person so probably not a savings for you.

Buses and trolleys are very easy to use. Consider a multi-day pass if you're going to do a lot of moving around. Your hotel concierge should have a good downtown city map with bus routes / numbers and is a good source of info on how to get to various places.

If you do use BART, you can get tickets from the BART website with the right $$$ amount to get you into the city and back to the airport.

Depending on how many days you will be there, MUNI sells 1, 3, or 7 day Passports that allow you unlimited use of cable cars, F-line trolleys, city buses, and MUNI subway. You can pick them up at the information booths in the baggage claim area at SFO. The cost is $13 for 1 day, $20 for 3 day, and $26 for 7 day.

just got back from SF we stayed at the Parc 55 Wyndham in Union Square. The bart station is minutes away. The cost was $8.10 for adults each way and $9.00 for kids round trip. This was the best way to go for sure. A cab will be quite expensive just an fyi - the airport is not close to downtown.

I would guess about $40ish for a cab as well... I have not cabbed to downtown but to take one up to the Richmond district, which is definitely not closer than downtown - was about $40ish.

No way would I attempt public transport with the kids and all the luggage. Just use it to get around the city instead of getting to the hotel.

Kim

I think we are going with a cab. $40ish is perfect. I was thinking of possibly a limo but I what I found online seems to be $70ish.

We are getting the city pass which includes all unlimited transportation on cable cars and Bart.

Thanks for all the responses.

ETA: Your kids are not toddlers and AZ to SFO is not like going cross country. Where I live we have no mass transit like BART and we look for opportunities for our kids to get the types of expeiences that they don't get at home. It would be an adventure

Hey, don't get me wrong. We love to give our kids experiences they've never had before but doing this after flying in, with 3-4 pieces of rolling luggage and backpacks does not sound like fun. They will experience all the wonderful modes of public transportation while we are there but just not with all of our stuff, not knowing where to go and I know it will be lunch time and kids and adults will be hungry.

I think we are going with a cab. $40ish is perfect. I was thinking of possibly a limo but I what I found online seems to be $70ish.

We are getting the city pass which includes all unlimited transportation on cable cars and Bart.

Thanks for all the responses.
FYI CityPass does not cover BART - it covers Muni and Cable Cars but not BART that is a separate entity. We had CityPasses in March and rode the cable cars all over the place - they pay for themselves very quickly!

Have fun its a beautiful city

Hey, don't get me wrong. We love to give our kids experiences they've never had before but doing this after flying in, with 3-4 pieces of rolling luggage and backpacks does not sound like fun. They will experience all the wonderful modes of public transportation while we are there but just not with all of our stuff, not knowing where to go and I know it will be lunch time and kids and adults will be hungry.
I didn't mean to imply you would be short changing them, sorry if I came across that way. I was mainly saying IMO it is very easy to do and would be part of the adventure. We have taken our fair share of cabs in SFO too especially when tired and want to get somewhere quickly :)

when you get back - pls let us know how much the cab cost you. I am curious - it took almost 45 minutes on the bart train.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter