can anyone help?

OJoyfulOne

I LOVE the Dwarfs and hope to see them again when
Has anyone had any trouble with ECV's getting damaged while in flight on a plane?

Is so, what was done about it and how did the airlines handle this situation?

My sister and I will be traveling at the end of sept on our first trip. We will be using US Airways and have purchased our tickets through WDW travel with the insurance that WDW offers.

Does your insurance purchased from WDW for plane tickets cover this damage?

Thanks,

Joy

I don't have the info her (I'm at work), but the airlines are responsible if they damage your mobility device. You probably also have coverage under your homeowner's insurance. I know my DD's power (and manual) wheelchairs are covered by our homeowners insurance.
The type of insurance you purchased with your travel package is typically trip insurance. That usually covers paying you back part of the price of the trip if you need to cancel or the trip is interrupted. It won't cover damage to your belongings.

Thanks SueM in MN,

All I got from the airlines is that if you purchased insurance through disney, then you will have to see what that covers. The person that i was speaking with did say that US Airways has some kind of insurance aganist that kind of thing.

Is that what you are talking about?

As for my homeowner's insurance, well my mom owns our house and our insurance is goofy. Everything is itemized and our ECV's are not listed. so I don't think they are covered.

Joy

Our last trip down the DW's wc was damaged by AA. we filed a claim at MCO and they had a local medical supply company come to the hotel and fix the problem right there. another time there was slight damage back from MCO and we were told to get it fixed and turn in the reciepts to be covered.
What ever might happen just make sure you let them know at the airport BEFORE you leave so they know that it happened during the flight and not after.

My biggest "fear of flying" has to do with damage to my chair. It cannot be taken apart or placed on it's side due to all the equipment attached and also due to the type of chair ( a Permobil). If it were to be damaged in flight, I'd be basically stranded. Makes me nervous. Please let me know how you make out with AA and good luck. Sue- thanks for the advice about the homeowners insurance- I never would have thought of that! I do know some insurances cover damage to luggage or luggage delay...wonder if a chair is considered "luggage" if it's in the cargo hold? Kathy

dclfun,

I will post and let you know how my ECV arrives both ways. I'm also very nervous about my ECV getting damage. If it becomes damage to the point of not working, then I would be stranded also.

I thought I had flight insurance that covered baggage damaged or lost. I was wondering about that coverage of an ECV also since it would be in the cargo area of the plane.

I will let you know.

Joy

Originally posted by OJoyfulOne

I'm also very nervous about my ECV getting damage. If it becomes damage to the point of not working, then I would be stranded also.

I thought I had flight insurance that covered baggage damaged or lost. I was wondering about that coverage of an ECV also since it would be in the cargo area of the plane.

Joy

Take a list of local medical supply businesses with you so that if the airlines return a damaged vehicle to you you will not be stranded. In January AA gave me my scooter in pieces and when it was put together it did not work properly. I immediately got a claim form from the lost baggage counter and proceded to my resort with the scooter limping along. When I arrived at the resort, a CM called Care Medical, who brought out a replacement immediately. A power chair is far more personal and complicated but the equipment companies will do whatever is required to get you mobile. By the time I got home from my 3-week vacation I had two weeks of rental charges, a big repair charge for a temporary fix and another charge from my own local repair shop that was all submitted to AA for repayment...They paid by check in full. The key is to get a claim form immediately.

Lynda- thanks for the advice about a claim form, and sorry you had to go through such a hassle. My chair would be irreplaceable, only because hardly anyone carries Permobil, plus it has alot of custom features to hold all my medical equipment and special seating, etc. I've heard such horror stories about chairs on flights- you'd think with so many folks having damage and large claims, their baggage teams would be more careful with someone's "lifeline". Kathy

Thanks for the info videogal1,

I will definately be looking for the claim form area immediately if something goes wrong.

I know that if something happens, nothing could replace my ECV that I own now, but at least I would have something to move around in. I have special features on my scooter and the seat that I'm using now is about 20 years old because there is no other seat that is available from the company that me and my sister feel comfortable using.

Joy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter