Can anyone reassure me about buses and ECVs?

wdwnut76

Mouseketeer
I'm going to WDW (alone) next week and I'll be using a ECV from an offsite company for the first time.

I've heard that people can be really nasty when ECVs get on and off buses.

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of attitude I'll be dealing with? I'm getting very nervous about it.

Thanks!

I have only used the buses 5 or 6 times we always have a rental car but never had a problem when I did. One time at Disney Studios there was a huge line and we stayed back so we wouldn't get people mad and a few people in line told us to go to the back of the bus for loading the scooter. I know I have heard of others that had problems but in my 5 or 6 times on the buses no problem

Halfway through my trip in July I wrenched my knee. DH suggested renting an EVC so that I could participate in the rest of the vacation, and I was really worried about the attitudes and possible stares/comments. Mostly because I'm fat, and thought that people would assume I was too lazy/fat to walk to park(s). I had conditioned myself for two months prior to the trip just so I could walk the parks.

Renting the EVC was without a doubt the best thing I could have done. I didn't notice any stares or comments, and it saved my vacation. I just made sure I was aware of others around me so I didn't run into anyone or over any toes. I practiced parellel parking and backing up before attempting to get onto a bus. Some buses you drive straight up the ramp and others you have to back onto a lift. Either way you have to parellel park the thing into the designated area. I did my best to get on as fast as possible, and I can honestly say I didn't hear any grumbling.

It probably helped that we were staying at WL and the busses stop there first before any of the other resorts. It's easier to load onto an empty bus.

Wish you the best!!! Focus on your family and enjoy your vacation, and try not to worry about the bad attitudes. :thumbsup2

My cousin and I have riden the buses many times with an ECV and have never had a problem with people being mad. There may be some, but we're never experienced it. Even if they do get mad, so what. They were having a bad day to begin with. If they can't wait a few minutes there, they're in for a rude awaking when they get to the parks. Even though you get on first, you have to wait for everyone to get off the bus first before you can exit. They're well on their way while you're still getting off the bus. It all evens itself out. At night when everyone is trying to leave, we usually take our time and wait for the crowd to leave or leave the park about 30 minutes before closing.

My best advice is to practice backing up.

Also, if you can, avoid peak times, such as right after the fireworks. Buses run for an hour after park closing, and stores stay open during this time, so there is no reason to rush to get in line... I usually wait a half hour after the fireworks to head out to the bus, so there is generally little or no line.

We have been there with Mom and her ECV a number of times and my son.... leg in cast and wheelchair.....99.9% of the folks its no problem.

However ever once in a while there will be a look or to.......just remember ......the problem is thiers,not yours!..........

Have a great trip!

AKK:cool1:

Thanks to all who reassured me about buses and ECVs. You were right...everyone was extremely kind. I still felt very...well, I guess "obvious" would fit best.

I would apologize for the delay when getting on a bus, and everyone kept saying, "no, it's fine."

I'm going down again in three weeks, and will be using a scooter again. This time I'll have my family with me, and we'll probably drive to some parks. So my husband & 21-year old son can load the scooter in the back of our rental van!

DW has MS and uses an ECV. we go to WDW 2 x's a year and haven't had issues matching your concern.

i have seen people get a little chippy because the driver isn't very well trained in securing the ECV for travel and a couple minute exercise goes for several; and those that have to move on the bus after taking a seat at one of the parking stations.

Lastly, there can be a little chippiness if your family/group is greater than 4 and all try to preboard

Those with experience know the ECV user and family are the first on and last off. It's just part of bus travel. So be confidant and enjoy your vacation. As one of the PP advises, if you aren't time critical, then taking the bus at non-peak times is easier for all [but not necessary].

Pop

Thanks to all who reassured me about buses and ECVs. You were right...everyone was extremely kind. I still felt very...well, I guess "obvious" would fit best.

I would apologize for the delay when getting on a bus, and everyone kept saying, "no, it's fine."

I'm going down again in three weeks, and will be using a scooter again. This time I'll have my family with me, and we'll probably drive to some parks. So my husband & 21-year old son can load the scooter in the back of our rental van!

So glad to hear you had a positive experience... the first time is always the hardest. :thumbsup2

Have fun on your next trip... you will be an ECV pro this time! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter