Can anyone recommend a good/accurate pedometer?

edk35

DIS Veteran
We are headed to Disney on the 20th and I have been exercising A LOT with Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds DVD's...I have logged in about 140 miles since Jan. 1st. I really wanted to keep track of the walking we will be doing while there. I know others use them and I wanted to see which ones people like that they feel like worked well for them with all the walking at Disney, getting on and off rides and so forth. THANKS

Congratulations on your commitment to get in shape! It will make a huge difference in the way you feel physically and mentally!
The best pedometer would be the FitBit I think, but any one that you can adjust to your stride would work well for you.
Have a great trip!

I am tracking steps to get a better deductible on my health insurance. I hated the crappy pedometer that the insurance company sent to me. I read here about the Fitbit and was able to get one on sale at Target this past week.

I love the fitbit. It can go in your pocket and it works so much better that the other one I had. Their website is pretty easy to use as well. I wish I had a Disney trip in the works so I could see exactly how much I walk when I am there.

I have had my fitbit for over a year now and I LOVE it. They now have three different versions to pick from. I have the original and its amazing! I highly reccommend it! I have used it for countless vacations and it helps me get my 10,000 steps a day =) I also use an active link activity monitor that is just for weight watchers members that sees how much I move, not just steps and walking but i use both at the same time since active link does not count steps.

try the fit bit, you wont regret it! =)

If you have a smartphone (iPhone, android, whatever) then get an app that uses the GPS to track your movements. They make running logs that tell you how far you ran, your top speed, things like that and even plot your route on a map.

I am tracking steps to get a better deductible on my health insurance. I hated the crappy pedometer that the insurance company sent to me. I read here about the Fitbit and was able to get one on sale at Target this past week.

I love the fitbit. It can go in your pocket and it works so much better that the other one I had. Their website is pretty easy to use as well. I wish I had a Disney trip in the works so I could see exactly how much I walk when I am there.

Which do you have?? The 100 dollar one or the zip?

If you have a smartphone (iPhone, android, whatever) then get an app that uses the GPS to track your movements. They make running logs that tell you how far you ran, your top speed, things like that and even plot your route on a map.

I use MAP MY WALK when I walk outside....but wouldn't that be a pain to pause all the time? Is that what you mean? Or other apps?

I have a FitBit One and love it - have been using it for a month and can't say enugh good things about it! I used the Runtastic app on my phone first which worked great but uses a LOT of battery life since it is GPS based. In Disney, cell battery is a precious commodity! The FitBit only has to be charged every 5-7 days and can sync via bluetooth w an iPhone.

Congratulations on your commitment to get in shape! It will make a huge difference in the way you feel physically and mentally!
The best pedometer would be the FitBit I think, but any one that you can adjust to your stride would work well for you.
Have a great trip!

THANK YOU!!! :goodvibes

I have a FitBit One and love it - have been using it for a month and can't say enugh good things about it! I used the Runtastic app on my phone first which worked great but uses a LOT of battery life since it is GPS based. In Disney, cell battery is a precious commodity! The FitBit only has to be charged every 5-7 days and can sync via bluetooth w an iPhone.

I am really leaning towards that one. :)

I use an iOS app called Cyclemeter, which uses GPS to track your movements, and includes vertical feet as well, so you can track how much you climb and descend in addition to linear miles.

It's probably a bit much if you only want to track miles at Disney, because it also works great for other things, like hiking and cycling. It is great for Disney, though, because we love the map overlay of the routes - it's fun to be able to identify exact mileage for everywhere we walk, not just in the parks. For example, looking at the map view with mile markers on a day where we walk from BCV to DHS, back to DHS and then into EPCOT makes for a pretty interesting view of the day.

I posted one of the map photos in a blog post from my last trip:

http://www.tedgoudie.com/travel/disneyworld-feb-2013-16-miles

I have had fitbit ultra for a little over a year and can't say enough good things about it. They no longer sell the ultra, but it is similar to the fitbit One. If I were buying one now, that is the one I would go for.

I wear my fitbit everywhere, every day. If I don't get my steps in, I make circles around my house. I'm in the best shape I've ever been. My fitbit is a regular part of my wardrobe and I'm not sure how I ever lived without it. Best $100 I ever spent.

I use MAP MY WALK when I walk outside....but wouldn't that be a pain to pause all the time? Is that what you mean? Or other apps?

Those apps are great but for Disney I wouldn't recommend them because they're gonna eat your cell phone battery!

I use an iOS app called Cyclemeter, which uses GPS to track your movements, and includes vertical feet as well, so you can track how much you climb and descend in addition to linear miles.

It's probably a bit much if you only want to track miles at Disney, because it also works great for other things, like hiking and cycling. It is great for Disney, though, because we love the map overlay of the routes - it's fun to be able to identify exact mileage for everywhere we walk, not just in the parks. For example, looking at the map view with mile markers on a day where we walk from BCV to DHS, back to DHS and then into EPCOT makes for a pretty interesting view of the day.

I posted one of the map photos in a blog post from my last trip:

http://www.tedgoudie.com/travel/disneyworld-feb-2013-16-miles

Wow that is really cool!! I will check that one out too!!

I have had my fitbit for over a year now and I LOVE it. They now have three different versions to pick from. I have the original and its amazing! I highly reccommend it! I have used it for countless vacations and it helps me get my 10,000 steps a day =) I also use an active link activity monitor that is just for weight watchers members that sees how much I move, not just steps and walking but i use both at the same time since active link does not count steps.

try the fit bit, you wont regret it! =)

I am an online WW member would I have access to that?? Can I buy it at WW

Gotta jump in and recommend the Fitbit as well. I absolutely love mine and am amazed how accurate it is. I've had mine nearly a year and wear it daily. Best $100 I spent! You won't regret it

I am an online WW member would I have access to that?? Can I buy it at WW

You can get the active link at a weight watchers store or online. You need to be an e-tools subscriber for it to work. You wear it for 8 days straight to set a baseline. After it is set it will record all your activity and translate it to WW activity points. You upload to the e-tools site to see the results. There are small LED lites on the device to track your progress throughout the day. There's a one time purchase cost and then a monthly fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter