can anyone recommend a good emergency care ctr in orlando

tami82

DIS Veteran
My daughter has diabetes and i would like to know ahead of time the name of a good place for emergency care in case we ever need it. Luckily there has been no problems in the past few years but i would like to have this information if we need it while we are away.

As a diabetic I don't understand what sort of emergency a person would have with diabetes that cannot be handled easily exept an extreme low. And in that situation you would, if you are at a Park go to First Aid or if you are at your Resort youy would call 911.

Disney has Rescue Squads (alpha units) at several locations on property including backstage in the parks while they are open.

And a lot depends on where you are actually at. There are several Centra Care stand-alone location around WDW, all operated by Florida Hospital System, as well as the ER in Celebation Hospital.

Thanks. Are you familiar with Type 1 diabetes at all? If not then let me give you a small lesson. There can be plenty of complications with Type1s. If the person is that low and they go into a seizure sure it can be handled with glucagon in most cases. I have never had to use it thank god because i keep a good watch on my daughters blood sugars throughout the day and i hope this never happens.
Then there is the dreaded stomach bug which can cause big problems especially if they are vomitting and cant keep anything down. This is when the person needs to get to the hospital for iv fluids especially if they have ketones(sometimes can be treated at home if the person is able to handle small amounts of fluid if you are lucky - this is not always the case. They can easily go into ketoacidosis which can come on quickly and have bad consequences if not treated. If you are thinking of Type 2 that is totally two different things.

The only advice I can give you as a resident is that under no circumstances let anyone in your family go to Health Central.

And Chessie gave you the best advice.

Tami, that is why I said if in a park go immediately to First Aid or have the nearest CM call for the alpha unit, or if in your hotel call 911.

In all cases you will have trained medical people responding immediately. And if they do take her to the hospital Disney will provide you free transportation between your Resort and the hospital as much as is needed.

And unless you really know your way around the area at WDW knowing the locations will not help.

We used the CentraCare near Downtown Disney for my DD's asthma one time, but she was treated in the First Aid center first. They offered to call an ambulance, but at that point I felt she was stable enough for me to drive her. However, they did not take our insurance so I had to pay up front and then get reimbursed at home (I guess they take most major insurance companies, though). Also, they share the building with Turner Drugs, but Turner does not take insurance at all. I would think for an emergency like you are describing, your best bet would be to go through the park paramedics, especially because they will give you free transport to the ER if need be. We found them to be very helpful and quick to respond.

Hope all goes smoothly on your trip,
Mary

My daughter has diabetes and i would like to know ahead of time the name of a good place for emergency care in case we ever need it. Luckily there has been no problems in the past few years but i would like to have this information if we need it while we are away.
Celebration hospital was amazing the two times I have visited there. While I was in WDW doing my CP I had 2 trips there and everyone was so nice and comforting I almost felt like I was at extension of WDW!!!! They not only took great care of me but also took the time to consult with my doctors who were a 1000 miles away in Missouri!

Tami, that is why I said if in a park go immediately to First Aid or have the nearest CM call for the alpha unit, or if in your hotel call 911.

In all cases you will have trained medical people responding immediately. And if they do take her to the hospital Disney will provide you free transportation between your Resort and the hospital as much as is needed.

And unless you really know your way around the area at WDW knowing the locations will not help.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!

I guess i should have stated my question a little differently, i wasnt really talking about problems happening in the park. I just need some names of places to be prepared if anything happens outside of the parks, such as stomach virus, earaches, etc...... I also have two other kids so its good to know where i would have to go if there is a problem. Im the kind of person who likes to be prepared and not scurrying around if anything happens.

We are planning our first ever trip to DWD. We rarely travel and tend to plan for the just in case too. I have found it easier to call my insurance company, let them know where we are going, and find out which hospitals they recommend and cover. While most times they say if it is a true emergency to go to the closest ER. However, that said it might not be covered and the one down the street could be. Our insurance stated that there is a Children's Hospital in the Orlando area that is extremely good. Don't forget some insurances require you to call within 24 hours of admittance or emergency for them to consider covering the costs. At least that is how ours is. Hope this helps.

Arnold Palmer Childrens' Hospital is great, but a little distant from WDW. But that's where the Paramedics took our special needs little boy last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter