Can anyone remember?

Mimilsw

Earning My Ears
I'm looking for the name of a restaurant that we ate at about 9-10 years ago. We had the best steak I've ever eaten at Disney! I recall it being in either the Contemporary or Polynesian Resorts, but nothing i see on the site looks familiar. I feel like it started with an "S", but could be completely wrong. I know it may not be there any longer, or the name may have changed. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm looking for the name of a restaurant that we ate at about 9-10 years ago. We had the best steak I've ever eaten at Disney! I recall it being in either the Contemporary or Polynesian Resorts, but nothing i see on the site looks familiar. I feel like it started with an "S", but could be completely wrong. I know it may not be there any longer, or the name may have changed. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Was it The Wave?
That was the previous name of Steakhouse 71 in The Contemporary.

Maybe Concourse steak house at the Contemporary? It would have been longer than 10 years ago located where the contempo cafe is. No names changed at the Poly however Ohana had a great Filet and strip steak on the menu but I also think that was more then 10 years ago when the filet was removed. The Concourse was good they had a great breakfast as well and a lot of unique items I still miss the omelette they had with Andouille sausage.
I will add in general the steak was good at every Disney restaurant and always themed to the hotel years ago.

Maybe Concourse steak house at the Contemporary? It would have been longer than 10 years ago located where the contempo cafe is. No names changed at the Poly however Ohana had a great Filet and strip steak on the menu but I also think that was more then 10 years ago when the filet was removed. The Concourse was good they had a great breakfast as well and a lot of unique items I still miss the omelette they had with Andouille sausage.
I will add in general the steak was good at every Disney restaurant and always themed to the hotel years ago.
The Concourse sounds familiar, maybe that was it.

My son swears it was at the Poly, on the second floor, overlooking a tropical scene but i think he is thinking O'Hana. I remember the steak place as being subtle in design, simple cloth tablecloths and placemats, not real noisy, a pretty classy place.

My son swears it was at the Poly, on the second floor, overlooking a tropical scene but i think he is thinking O'Hana. I remember the steak place as being subtle in design, simple cloth tablecloths and placemats, not real noisy, a pretty classy place.
The only other restaurant on the second floor at Poly is Kona, and it is definitely noisy! (and not classy LOL)

Could it have been California Grill? That was called Top of the World a long time ago, like in the 70s.

The only other restaurant on the second floor at Poly is Kona, and it is definitely noisy! (and not classy LOL)

Could it have been California Grill? That was called Top of the World a long time ago, like in the 70s.
Not Cali Grill, that was out of my budget back then, lol!

Yes! When we lived in Orlando, we used to eat breakfast at The Concourse about once a month. Back in the days when you could drive up and tell them you were eating breakfast and be waved into the parking lot. They had a pastry basket that was amazing.

O'Hana did have a different name, but it was definitely more than 10 years ago. I think it was called Papeete Bay Veranda at one time, but that was closer to 30 years ago.

Sounds like Concourse Steakhouse. They had some great steaks there.

We thought they had the best burgers on property and we would always go there for lunch from the MK.

I'd agree probably thinking of Concourse Steakhouse, but it would have been longer than 10 years ago. It was on the 4th floor of Contemporary - where the Contempo Cafe is now right under the center mural. We ate there for 14 years on our family summer trips to Fort Wilderness Cabins - we could hop the boat to Contemporary, eat a great steak at Concourse Steakhouse (sauteed onions on the side, and creamed spinach). We were very disappointed when it went away in 2008, but very excited when Wave became Steakhouse 71, as it brings back a good, moderate priced steakhouse to Contemporary which had been a tradition for us for so long.

Going back 10 years, there were no other steakhouse spots at Poly or Contemporary. 10 years ago, the only "steakhouses" would have been Yachtsman at Yacht Club, Shula's at S&D, Le Cellier in Epcot Canada, Artist's Point in Wilderness Lodge, and Turf Club in Saratoga Springs. Some other restaurants serve steaks, but probably wouldn't be confused with a steakhouse...and some of the other steak spots wouldn't have been open 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Concourse was simple it was very open with just tables sorry can't recall the tablecloths only the food left a lasting impression. :-) Kona which we also frequented a lot is somewhat still the same just modernized and yes at one time there was a fountain and tropical "garden" in the Poly lobby. You would not see the Lobby sitting in either (maybe a slight view if you have an end table in Kona) Both had great food. Both were semi quiet - Contemporary got load with Chef Mickeys especially if you had a room above it not in the room but as soon as you opened the door. The waiters at the Kona would always advertise for O' Hana as the best deal on Disney property it was empty and like 10 or12 bucks in the very early 2000s.

We used to love Concourse back in the early days of DDP's. It was always a stop for us back then. And DDP gave you an app, entree, desert and covered tips back in the good old days. The kids used to love the steaks and the very creative deserts.

Concourse was good, but I also remember having a good dinner at Ohana almost 20 years ago. My memory is getting fuzzy.

I've had the best steak ever at Le Cellier last summer.

If I remember correctly, when they first changed the Concourse Grill to the Concourse Steakhouse they did try to use tablecloths, but that only lasted a short time. I visited a few times with the tablecloths in place, so I don’t know how long they used them. A good friend of mine worked in the restaurant at the time and said the tablecloths were more trouble than they were worth, especially on the booth tables where people had to slide in and out of the seats. But that would have been before 2000, and definitely farther back than the ten years the OP mentioned.

Very few WDW restaurants use tablecloths. The only one I recall at CR is CG.

I had a really great strip steak at Kona approx 10 years ago and wondered if that might be it. At that time, Kona was a hidden gem with about 3 or 4 excellent items that developed a following. It was a New York Strip with molasses-bacon butter. One of the better strip steaks I've had on property. Certainly the absolute best for a one credit WDW restaurant. They also had a great Kona Coffee Rubbed Pork Chop, Grilled Curry Crusted Lamp Chops, Togarashi Spiced Ahi Tuna with tempura veggie side, Pan Seared Duck Breast and Sesame Seared Sea Scallops. All at decent prices for Disney. The complementary Hawaiian Bread with Macadamia Nut Butter was a treat. The Banana-Chocolate Creme Brulee was the perfect dessert to end the evening. Sadly, it was too good to last and the endless menu revamps made Kona an absolute shell of its former glory. Another wonderful menu lost to history. The atmosphere was lacking but if you asked for a table facing the monorail you at least had a view of tropical plants and some Poly entrance lighting which was better than staring into the lobby. The food clearly made up for the Holiday Inn sterile lobby restaurant vibe. It was all about the food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter