• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Can anyone tell me about the alternative to removing shoes at airport security?

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
I have posted here before about my severe Plantar Fasciatis in both feet. I really should have canceled this trip because of the pain, but I really can't back out now, so full steam ahead.

I had cortisone shots in both feet on Friday. Dr. said they should help get me through the trip but I still have to be very careful. One foot is still really sore from the affects of the shot 3 days ago, but overall I guess I am doing better.

Now as I am trying to navigate the TSA regulations for meds and what I can carry on and getting through security I have come the stress of the "removal of the shoes". I have custom orthotics and can not walk without my shoes without great pain and the risk of severe injury to the PF. I currently can not even shower in bare feet and must wear my Crocs. I can not wear them through the airport though because I have to have my tennies and inserts for any type of distance walking. Crocs are limited to around the house and from the locker room to the pool type distances.

So, I am trying to decide what to do about the security screening. I know that I have the right to tell them that I am unable to remove my shoes (and I have a Dr. note) and ask for an alternative screening. But would that be more "painful" in the PITA factor than just trying to suck it up and walk the short distance in bare feet? If all moves fast I would probably be okay, but if someone slows the line or I am unable to get my shoes on quickly I will be in pain. I also have a bag full of meds that I am sure are going to take them some time to screen and I can't stand there bare footed while they do it.

I will be traveling with my kids by myself and don't want them to be traumatized by Mommy getting the full body search just because I can't remove my shoes. A little wanding is fine--we have had to do that before, just don't want anything excessive??

Even if they let me go through and then sit down and take off my shoes and they take them and x-ray them that would be fine with me.

Has anyone here done the alternative to taking off shoes? What do they do, and how bad is it?

Tell your airline that you are disabled (which you are) and use a wheelchair to get all the way from the curb to the plane. All that it will cost is about $5-$10 in tips to the Skycap each way. Then if you have to remove your shoes you will already be seatedin the wheelchair.

Thanks, but I really don't need a wheelchair, and that would make it difficult on my kids--and really freak them out! I am okay with walking as long as my shoes are on--I just can't take them off without pain and risk.

From the TSA website tsa.gov. (Bolding is mine) Additional screening simply means that they will ask you to step to the side to a partially screened area while they wand you and your shoes.

People with disabilities, those with prosthetic devices, and those with medical conditions do not have to remove their shoes during this heightened security level nor has this been the case during routine travel times. Those who keep their shoes on will be subjected to additional screening that includes a visual or physical and explosive trace detection sampling of their footwear.
To help people with disabilities or medical conditions,we have developed guidelines with input from various disability-related groups and organizations. We have trained our airport Security Officers to ensure effective, safe, comfortable, dignified, and respectful screening at all security checkpoints. Below are some tips on being prepared for security screening and some links to more specific information.

Notify your airline or travel agent in advance if you need assistance at the airport. We can only help you with the screening process. Your airline will help you through the airport facility and the screening line.
If you need someone to accompany you through the security checkpoint to reach your gate, ask your airline representative about getting a gate pass for your companion before you enter the security checkpoint.
The limit of one carry-on and one personal item (purse, briefcase or computer case) does not apply to medical supplies, equipment, mobility aids or assistive devices carried or used by a person with a disability.
Pack your medications in a separate pouch/bag to simplify the inspection process. Don’t fill medication containers too densely, and make sure that all your medication is clearly identified. If you have any medication that you do not want exposed to x-rays, don’t pack it in your checked baggage. Instead, send larger quantities of medications to your destination by mail (or any other way you prefer.)
If you have medical documentation about your medical condition or disability, you can present this information to the security officer to help inform him or her of your situation. We don’t require this documentation and it will not exempt you from the security screening process.
Make sure have an identification tag on all your carry-on items, equipment, mobility aids, and devices.

::yes:: what bavaria said.

Another alternative might be to wear the regular shoes until you get to the security screening area (how soon before would depend on how long you can wear the Crocs). Change into the Crocs right before you get to the screening and put the regular shoes into a bag (it could be just a regular plastic bag) and send them through the xray machine. Tell the security people that you can walk only a short distance without your shoes on and ask for help in putting the Crocs through the xray machine and getting them back after you go thru the scanner. Once you are through the scanner, you can put the crocs back on and then find a spot to change into your 'long distance' shoes.

If you do choose not to take your shoes off, it takes a few minutes for them to scan you. Since you would be able to walk thru the scanner with your shoes on, they may take just a quick check of your shoes (probably including swabbing for explosives). My youngest DD can't walk, so she needs to stay in her wheelchair while it bypasses the scanner. on the other side, they pat down most of her body, have her lean forward so they can pat behind her back and then they wand parts of her. They also usually take sawbs of her shoes. That takes maybe 3-6 minutes.

And for all that we hear bad things about TSA, they have actually mostly been very pleasant and accomodating to me in past. (With one exception in FLL)

Since I fly so much, I am invariably marked for SSSS special screening every so often. Part of the routine requires raising both arms - I always advise them that I can't raise my left arm very much and they are always fine with that.

I also flew quite a bit in winter with my arm/shoulder strapped and in a sling - they didn't make me remove my jacket which was kind as it would have taken quite some time and effort.

I can usually move through security very quickly, but if I am going through a bad patch it can take me a little longer, but I've never had TSA or CATSA (in Canada) have an issue except for one screener in FLL

This is a rather late response to your thread. Hopefully you've had your trip and everything went fine.

I just wanted to say that I have severe problems with my feet and literally can't walk without my shoes. I don't have special shoes or inserts, just need the support of a shoe with a thick sole. I've never been asked to remove my shoes. I just walk through the metal detector. I always set it off because I have metal implants in my body. Then I'm asked to step into a screening area. Its nothing scary, just an area in full view of everyone, its not like some secret room where there do horrible things to you! They just wand me down, and they've always taken my explanation that I have artificial joints. I've offered to remove my shoes but they never require me to do so. They just swab the shoes with something to see if there's any explosives on them. Once, in the airport in Kauai, they asked if I would remove my shoes so they could run them through the metal detector. That was after I was comfortably seated. They even brought me a drink of water (I was sweating, it was hot and no ac in the airport). Just go with the flow, let them figure out what procedure they want to follow and go with it. Believe me, nothing weird's going to happen. But you might want to remember to wear clean socks with no holes just in case you have to remove your shoes
1 :rotfl2:

I have had to deal with PF too. No more pretty shoes for me. I know how terribly painful it is. I would probably do what SueM suggested. Change into your crocs right before you get in line and change right after security. I hope that your feet hold up during your trip. :goodvibes
Tara

We just got back from Orlando on Thursday. On the way there from Minneapolis, the screeners just asked if DD could walk thru the scanner (she can't), then bypassed the scanner and took her through. They patted her down pretty thoroughly, looked at her shoes and then were done.

When we came back thru Orlando, they did ask to remove her shoes and sent them thru the scanner. I don't know what they would have done if we said they could not be removed; she has rather tender feet and doesn't like them to be without shoes on her wheelchair footrests. She was OK with it though and was fine.

I forgot I had started this thread!

My trip did go fine. I had shots in my feet and my feet were still really tender and painful. On our way out I told the TSA agent that I would not be able to remove them and walk so they called for a supervisor. She was a very nice woman and had my kids and I go through the scanner and then let me sit down and remove my shoes. Then she put them through the xray machine and brought them back to me. After I put them on she did do a hand wand scan which did set off the from the underwire in my bra :rolleyes: . She was very pleasant and professional about haveing to to do a hand check of the underwire area. It was all very discreet and professional. It was in the open, but off to the side, and I am not really sensitive so I didn't insist on privacy for it. She did chat with me quite a bit through the whole process about our vacation and asking me about PF. She made it seem like interested conversation, but I can't help but wonder if she was really just making sure I said "all the right things".

Quite fortunately the shots really took hold our second day at WDW and my feet felt GREAT! The only thing I couldn't handle was standing up on the busses--something about the way my feet get used to balance my body on the movng bus is extremely painful. We spent a lot of time stepping aside to wait for another bus so I could have a seat.

When I got to Orlando to leave the lines through security were very short and they had some really "squishy" mats on the floor to go throught the security area so I decided to just not deal with it and took off my shoes and walked carefully. The only difficulty was the fact that they needed to had inspect one of my bags and I had to stand there--I just told them I had to put on my shoes while I was standing (standing in one place is also a real problem) and that was not a problem.

lovetoscrap,
Glad you're trip went well! :goodvibes
How bad were the shots? :scared1: I've chosen not to have them before but the PF & my feet really gave me a lot of trouble this last trip. The very expensive orthotics I've had made several times hurt like !*!* ! Birkenstocks are the only thing that helps me, but after doing Epcot the feet still hurt! Next trip I'm actually considering bringing one of my DH's (DH has MD) old ECVs for myself!
:moped:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter