Can busses carry two scooters?

patty57

DIS Veteran
Hi All,
You have been so helpful with my questions about traveling with my elderly parents and mobility issues. Sorry, here's another. My mother is 83, had a knee replacement last week and has decided she would use a scooter on our December trip. My father will be 87 in December and I think I have convinced him that he will need assistance as well. My question is this: do the Disney busses have the ability to carry two scooters, or would it be easier to use one scooter and one wheel or transport chair? I can easily push a chair, and it might help me to slow down...lol. I was also thinking that they could trade off using each and if they wanted to walk, could use the chair to lean on. I'm thinking even if the bus could hold two scooters, there might already be a scooter on it, so we may spend quite a bit of time waiting for busses. We are staying at the BWV from Dec. 11-17...pretty low crowds according to the Crowd Calendar. I seem to be leaning toward one of each, but would love to hear from the experts who have had the same situation.
Thanks so much,
Patty

The busses can carry 2 scooters or 2 chairs or 1 of each--however, if there is someone already there, you would need to wait for the next bus to be together (or have them call for a bus for you.)

Thanks Piper. I want to clarify a bit that if we had one of each, we could fold up and carry the chair, so we would only take up one spot with the scooter. Both of my parents can walk and could get on and off a bus, but they're elderly. My father also has some balance problems.

Hi All,
You have been so helpful with my questions about traveling with my elderly parents and mobility issues. Sorry, here's another. My mother is 83, had a knee replacement last week and has decided she would use a scooter on our December trip. My father will be 87 in December and I think I have convinced him that he will need assistance as well. My question is this: do the Disney busses have the ability to carry two scooters, or would it be easier to use one scooter and one wheel or transport chair? I can easily push a chair, and it might help me to slow down...lol. I was also thinking that they could trade off using each and if they wanted to walk, could use the chair to lean on. I'm thinking even if the bus could hold two scooters, there might already be a scooter on it, so we may spend quite a bit of time waiting for busses. We are staying at the BWV from Dec. 11-17...pretty low crowds according to the Crowd Calendar. I seem to be leaning toward one of each, but would love to hear from the experts who have had the same situation.
Thanks so much,
Patty

some of the newer buses can handle three scooters at a time and from board walk you can get to epcot and dhs with out a bus. they have a path way to both.

Just writing to agree with others.
From any of the Boardwalk area resorts, you can also take a boat to either EPCOT or the Studio.

Just a warning on the boats. They also have a limit of 2 scooters/wheelchairs/combo. I was denied entry to the boat because they already had 2 scooters on it.

Thanks everyone for all of your responses. That's what I love about the DIS, people are always willing to share their knowledge.
We picked BWV so that the bus situation would only apply to MK and AK...that and I love the Boardwalk area! Because my parents can walk, but will need some help (plus I want them to enjoy themselves and not be exhausted), what would you do for mobility help? One scooter and one chair, or two scooters? Does the advantage of only needing one space on Disney transportation with the one and one option (I would fold up the chair and bring it on board) outweigh the advantages of two scooters, or are two scooters better? Also, my father definitely has balance issues, so we would need four-wheeled scooters. They both still drive a car.
Sorry for all the picky questions. As many times as I've been to Disney, I haven't dealt with mobility issues before.

It really up to them what the feel more comfortable don't worry about the buses because they will be room or they get a bus for yu so yu won't have t wait that long. There alot of walking so I suggest two scooters just because it he easier for everyone well oh the other hand having one scooter and the one that folds up could give them a chance to walk alittle without having to worry about one scooter. It really your choice they both are good but don't think you have to do something because of the buses most if them can handle three and they will send another bus if they need to.

Probably the biggest challenge you'll have is that during non-peak times (such as early morning/after park closing) the same bus will stop at Swan, then Dolphin, then Yacht Club, then Beach Club, then last, Boardwalk, so if any other guests at any of those resorts is already on the bus with a w/c or scooter, you'd have to wait for the next one. You can ask though for the driver to call another vehicle and at that point it will come straight to the BW and it usually will come very quickly. I'd choose the option most comfortable to your parents- if they'd both prefer driving a scooter vs. being pushed, then it won't make for a worse experience.---Kathy

Just to add to whats already been posted, all of the WDW busses are wheelchair equipped. The only other problem I can forsee, is that if for some reason the lift/ramp, depending on which bus style, may be down, and the bus downgraded to a non wheelchair bus. It happens occasionally if there is a porblem with the straps on a bus, or if maintanance is waiting on parts to fix the lift/ramp.Thats the only other forseeable wait time I could see.
As far as which to bring, that is entriely up to your family, and there expectations. My grandfather, had replacement knee surgery, and prior to that, would use a regular wheel chair to ride in and every so often, would get up to walk so his legs wouldnt stiffen up, from sitting for so long.Hed do the same thing that you were saying, where he would push the wheel chair himself, and use it for balance.When he was sitting, one of us would push him.The monorails, all have 2 cars dedicated to wc, and all of the boats and launches in the MK lagoon are accessible as well.

Thanks everyone for all of your input. It's very helpful to hear from those who have experienced these issues first hand. I'm very appreciative. :flower3:

All the buses will carry 2 scooters/wheelchairs, some can carry 3. We have about 20 buses that can carry 3. If you have the wheelchair and will fold it, that will not count as a wheelchair as it won't take a tie down.

Do whats best for you, it you don't stress out over the fact that you MAY need to wait for another bus, you will be fine. Don't be afraid to ask that the driver call his dispatcher for another bus. If a scheduled bus has not already been dispatched, the one that comes for you may very well start at your resort to make sure that both can ride.

Do whats best for you, it you don't stress out over the fact that you MAY need to wait for another bus, you will be fine. Don't be afraid to ask that the driver call his dispatcher for another bus. If a scheduled bus has not already been dispatched, the one that comes for you may very well start at your resort to make sure that both can ride.

Totally agree!

On our last trip both me and my friend used a wheelchair and thus every once in a while ran into there no longer being 2 spaces left on the bus. Especially with my hotel-neighbour -next door- using an ECV and somehow having the same schedule as us -which was allover the place- and most of the times being at the busstop before us.

Most of the times the driver would pro-actively inform us another bus was already called for. Other times, a CM would be at the busstops making notes on loads for different parks etc. who would already call in for a second bus before the first was there. Never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for that bus to show up. :thumbsup2 Even had a CM give us a fastpass because we had to wait for a second bus. Totally not needed imho, we were in no hurry and with 2 chairs you know you'll be waiting for a bus, an accessible ride vehicle or whatever.

You have all been so helpful with this thread about my parents mobility issues. I'm so sad to say that my father passed away unexpectedly yesterday at a very young 86. My mom had her knee replacement less than two weeks ago, so I will be spending most of my time with her until she is on her feet again...she only lives 30 minutes away. I was so happy to be taking them to Disney to see the holiday decorations and shows. Maybe my mom will still want to go, I doubt it, but you never know.
Thank you again for all of your help and for letting me vent my sadness.
Patty

Patty, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know your mother is glad you will be there for her.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( :hug:

You may find that going to Disney with your mom a useful way to deal with the sadness of the first holidays without your father, but definitely don't push if you two don't feel up to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter