Can DME be scheduled during stay?

Jessica Furukawa

Earning My Ears
We (11 of us) are coming from Hawaii, planning a 10 night stay. Some in our party want to use a free day (non park day) to do a quick day trip flight to watch a baseball game. Can we schedule DME for that? Or DME is only for scheduled check out and check in days?

DME is not tied to your check in or check out days but you can only use it for one r/t per person per WDW Resort Stay.

So if you are already using DME to get from the airport to the resort and back then you will have to find an alternative - rideshare, taxi or town car.

If you are not using DME to/from the airport then simply call the DME number directly to make the reservation. Keep in mind this won't be the quickest form of transportation as the DME bus will stop at least 3 resorts each way.

We (11 of us) are coming from Hawaii, planning a 10 night stay. Some in our party want to use a free day (non park day) to do a quick day trip flight to watch a baseball game. Can we schedule DME for that? Or DME is only for scheduled check out and check in days?
I'm curious where the baseball game is. I'm assuming Atlanta as that would be the only one worthy of a flight and return the same day... Tampa is driveable as is Miami.

Last edited:
When I’ve traveled with friends and we were leaving at different times, I just went to guest services at the resort and scheduled my return time.

When I’ve traveled with friends and we were leaving at different times, I just went to guest services at the resort and scheduled my return time.
That’s good to know! Since some in our party will be leaving at a different time at check out.

DME is not tied to your check in or check out days but you can only use it for one r/t per person per WDW Resort Stay.

So if you are already using DME to get from the airport to the resort and back then you will have to find an alternative - rideshare, taxi or town car.

If you are not using DME to/from the airport then simply call the DME number directly to make the reservation. Keep in mind this won't be the quickest form of transportation as the DME bus will stop at least 3 resorts each way.
This answers my question perfectly- thank you :thanks:

Ok. So if we were to stay at an MCO hotel the night our flight lands, we could take MDE to our WDW resort the next day?

Last edited:
Yes, you can get your checked luggage (if you checked any), take to the hotel then the next day take with you to DME loading zone and the driver will place under the bus. When you set up your DME reservation give them the date you want to get to your WDW resort not the day you fly in to MCO.

All except one family/party member can arrive via Magical Express after check in day, including on different days each but all before check out day. All except one family/party member can depart via DME before check out day, including on different days each, but all after check in day.

Once departed via DME a family/party member may not return via DME except to a different stay (not necessarily a different room).

Normal deadline for making DME reservations back to the airport is morning of the day before the day that that family/party member will depart.

All except one family/party member can arrive via Magical Express after check in day, including on different days each but all before check out day. All except one family/party member can depart via DME before check out day, including on different days each, but all after check in day.
Why the "except one family/party member"? There's nothing that says ME HAS to be used by ANYONE on check in/check out day.

Once departed via DME a family/party member may not return via DME except to a different stay (not necessarily a different room).

Normal deadline for making DME reservations back to the airport is morning of the day before the day that that family/party member will depart.

This is misleading / incorrect, there is no requirement that anyone use DME - not sure what you mean by any of this?

Simply put:
Any or all registered guests can use DME for one r/t or o/w trip anytime during the resort reservation regardless of how or when they arrive at the airport (or resort).

You can also make a DME reservation to return to the airport on the day of - as long as you do it prior to the 3 hour pickup time. (The sooner the better though!)

I think something got lost in the translation here with the “all except one” part.

While you are correct that any given reservation only yields one round trip on DME, I want to mention that you can do it the other way round if your travel plans work that way.

Which is what the OP’s group would be doing for their trip (first dme trip going back to the airport and second going back to resort), but that’s only if they didn’t need the initial trip to resort and ending trip to airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter