Can I cancel DDP after paying in full? Is it worth it + tip$?

KimRaye

DIS Oldtimer and Threadkiller
Just added DDP to our ressie for next month thinking that since I got LeCellier that it would be worth it. 5 days/4nights, 3 sit down adrs totaling 4 TS. Just not sure that a QS and 2 snacks are really worth it for us. (Adult daughter and I) We aren't big eaters. Prob more snackers/sharers, but we do have the ADRs for LeCellier, MamaMelrose and Crystal Palace (trying to get BOG).

And, the fact that I'll still have to fidget with tipping after TS, seems like OOP might be just as easy.

Any quick links to pricing comparisons?

Thanks so much, I realize there are a couple questions in this.

You can cancel DDP anytime up to 3 days before check-in on a package reservation, or 2 days on a DVC reservation. Remember that there might be a charge for decreasing the cost of a package within 2 weeks of arrival.

There will almost certainly be a change fee for decreasing package price after final payment day (arrival -30), and a potential additional last-minute change fee for any type of change within the last two weeks.

As for tips, that should be a wash, assuming you're going to order the same things (and presumably get the same service) OOP as you would DDP.

As for whether it's worth it? Financially, DDP (and QSDP) don't make a lot of sense for adults. Some people are willing to pay a premium to have it all pre-paid and not have to deal with it (and even allow themselves to splurge a bit where they normally wouldn't).

You can cancel DDP anytime up to 3 days before check-in on a package reservation, or 2 days on a DVC reservation. Remember that there might be a charge for decreasing the cost of a package within 2 weeks of arrival.
Thanks so much. Do you know what the charge might be? And, do you know how they refund for the DDP?

I don't book packages, so I don't know what the change fee is now. Used to be $15.

They'll refund the credit card used to make the reservation, the amount of the DDP. Afraid I don't know what they do on reservations booked by some method of payment other than a credit card.

According to how much it is going to cost you to cancel it, you might be better off oop just because you say are more snacker/sharers. If it's only $15, you should be o.k. to cancel, any more than that, you might want to think about it.

As for tips, that should be a wash, assuming you're going to order the same things (and presumably get the same service) OOP as you would DDP.
My thought was that with DDP, I'll have to still bother with adding/paying a tip so just paying OOP is the same motions so what's the big benefit, as you said, if we order all the same.

Doing the math gets difficult when you can't exactly assign a dollar amount to the individual meals and snacks. That's where pricing it out would help, but I can't predict every mouthful. Lol

Thanks

My thought was that with DDP, I'll have to still bother with adding/paying a tip so just paying OOP is the same motions so what's the big benefit, as you said, if we order all the same.

Doing the math gets difficult when you can't exactly assign a dollar amount to the individual meals and snacks. That's where pricing it out would help, but I can't predict every mouthful. Lol

Thanks
Try this:
Distripplanner.com

This should help you a lot with the math. With your ts choices it could work out cheaper or a wash with the plan, especially with the change fee.

Thanks so much. Do you know what the charge might be? And, do you know how they refund for the DDP?
Before your final payment due date (30 days before arrival date) there is no fee for making changes. Within 30 days of arrival there is a $50 change fee that is charged when your total cost goes down. If you make the change within 10-14 days of arrival (not sure which) there is an additional $15 paperwork fee. The refund will be made back to whatever form of payment you used. Changes to the dining plan can be made up to three days before arrival for a regular package reservation, two days if booking on points through the DVC office.

Just added DDP to our ressie for next month thinking that since I got LeCellier that it would be worth it. 5 days/4nights, 3 sit down adrs totaling 4 TS. Just not sure that a QS and 2 snacks are really worth it for us. (Adult daughter and I) We aren't big eaters. Prob more snackers/sharers, but we do have the ADRs for LeCellier, MamaMelrose and Crystal Palace (trying to get BOG).

And, the fact that I'll still have to fidget with tipping after TS, seems like OOP might be just as easy.

Any quick links to pricing comparisons?

Thanks so much, I realize there are a couple questions in this.

Your TS credits on the regular DDP are "worth" just under $40. Can you find $80 worth of food at Le Cellier with just ordering entrée, dessert, and drink? If Crystal Palace is lunch or dinner, I think you're okay with that one. There should be some entrees at MM that will get you pretty close to $40. Then you need to spend about $20 for each QS meal and $5 for each snack.

If you're not at least close to those numbers in what you think you will order, you've paid more for the plan than you would OOP, BUT it sounds like you now need to figure in the $50 or $65 change fee to what your OOP cost would be.

We tend to eat one TS a day anyway. Our norm at home is a quick breakfast, light lunch, and a decent dinner, tend to graze a little during the day. That said, about half our QS credits we use for a "snack" splitting one QS meal for the two of us, and graze during the day that way. Can easily split flatbreads, chicken nuggets, salads, or sandwich meals for example. Fill in the gaps with snack credits for a large soft pretzel, ice cream, popcorn, Dole Whips, etc. Sort of forces us to take short breaks during the day too so we can recharge. We end the week with one saved QS credit each for lunch before getting on ME to the airport, if a few snack credits are left we get some snacks for the flight. So the basic dining plan works for us.

As far as tipping for TS it's pretty easy on the dining plans. Your slip will have a suggested 18% and 20% amount printed on it based on what was ordered to use as a guideline even though the dining plan charge is zero. Just round it up or down for an even amount if that makes it easier for you. Can pay cash (we always write "cash" on the slip when we do this to avoid being charged a duplicate tip in error), credit card, or room charge. Same ways to pay and figure a tip as when not using the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter