• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I change my assigned room after booking?

yepbob

Earning My Ears
Hi there - I booked our first cruise the other day for November 2018.... and already I think I want to change our room .... I didn't realize that we would be right above lifeboats on deck 6 and although it's not a huge deal - if it's only a few dollars more I think I would rather not see them .... plus we are on the side of the ship that doesn't look at Castaway Cay - which is also not a huge deal but since we are early in the process and I now know these things I think I would like to switch..... is that hard to do once a reservation is booked with a travel agent?

I emailed my TA to check but thought I would ask you experts too....

You can. It's much easier to do if you - as in you can do it yourself as much as you want (I know from experience) - are not booked with a travel agent. If you are s/he will have to make the change for you.

As far as Castaway goes, I actually prefer the natural side of the island - I think it's prettier. :)

Of course. As long as the room is available, you can change. If it's the same category, no problem. If it's different, your price will be adjusted.

Hi there - I booked our first cruise the other day for November 2018.... and already I think I want to change our room .... I didn't realize that we would be right above lifeboats on deck 6 and although it's not a huge deal - if it's only a few dollars more I think I would rather not see them .... plus we are on the side of the ship that doesn't look at Castaway Cay - which is also not a huge deal but since we are early in the process and I now know these things I think I would like to switch..... is that hard to do once a reservation is booked with a travel agent?

I emailed my TA to check but thought I would ask you experts too....

Yes, you can. You can change staterooms in the same category or upgrade to another category. If changing categories, they will charge you the fare you would have paid if you had booked the new stateroom on opening day so you won't pay any price increase since opening day. Your TA can handle the change.

Yes, if it's the same or lower priced category and available, your TA can do it for you. If you booked directly yourself, you could do it on line. But sounds like you used a TA. I've done it several times, no biggie. I look on the DCL website and if I see something i like better, she'll change it for me, same day usually ( we have a great TA).

It may be helpful to look at your sailing on the Disney site and get an idea of which room you're thinking of. Check out the DIS stateroom reviews too. That may help.

Just as a note, I know there are some cruise lines where people book GTY and then when they see their assignment and aren't happy with it, they call and whine and get a different one. By and large, with Disney once a GTY or *GT is assigned, that is your cabin - I think I have only heard of MAYBE one case where someone called and whined that they didn't understand that was what they might get and got changed.

You could always PAY to change to a different category cabin in that case, but calling to complain about a GTY or *GT assignment with Disney pretty much isn't going to do any good.

I realize the OP has just booked, and from the post it does not seem like it was a GTY cabin. But just putting this out there as I've seen some people surprised that they couldn't call up and change a GTY or *GT cabin assignment as on other lines.

Thanks for all the responses! I was able to change our cabin today and just paid the difference on the class (went from a 4D to a 4C)

Yay!!

I have changed my cabin AT LEAST 5 times today alone. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

And now we see why Beth doesn't use a travel agent. I would drive him/her crazy. :confused3:confused3:confused3 (And edit to add NOT being able to change cabins as I want would make me twitchy. I'm tolerating it for my Princess and Celebrity cruises on tap for the air miles and deals I got that way - plus with Edge there are only 15 other staterooms of my type I could move to, and they're pretty much all in the same area.)

Last edited:
You can. It's much easier to do if you - as in you can do it yourself as much as you want (I know from experience) - are not booked with a travel agent. If you are s/he will have to make the change for you.

As far as Castaway goes, I actually prefer the natural side of the island - I think it's prettier. :)

Natural side being dockside?

Same. I'm not on the ship looking at the cay. I'm on the beach. :). Once we get back on the ship it's easy enough to look at the island for a few minutes from public spaces before heading to our room to get showered and changed for the evening.

For most cruises DCL ships back into Castaway Cay.

Key word "most". :) I would hate to book with that criterion then have it be the once in a blue moon cruise where they pull straight in.

You and me both, sister. I've been on the port side much more than the starboard side and I prefer it. I especially enjoy watching the CC Cast Members trying to catch the line ball when the cannon shoots it to them. I've seen one guy almost fall off of the gangway trying to get to it when he missed it. They're really good with the grappling hook if they miss it. It's always entertaining.

Natural side being dockside?

For most cruises DCL ships back into Castaway Cay. This is the view from the port side (toward the dock):
View attachment 238323

From starboard (more toward the family beach/pelican plunge and open water)
View attachment 238325

Or this...

1610029_10152205892886321_496911076_n.jpg

And even more natural more forward (I just didn't take a picture out of my OV window.

I'm switching to the castaway side (if backing in) this cruise! I did like the other side, so let's see how it feels to be on the beach side!

However - I've never seen the ship pull forward and thought that was only in case of bad weather.

I'm switching to the castaway side (if backing in) this cruise! I did like the other side, so let's see how it feels to be on the beach side!

However - I've never seen the ship pull forward and thought that was only in case of bad weather.
The captain will pull the ship in forward if there is work that needs to be done on the starboard side (more accessible from the dock). Or if the port side lifeboats/personnel need to drill.

The captain will pull the ship in forward if there is work that needs to be done on the starboard side (more accessible from the dock). Or if the port side lifeboats/personnel need to drill.

Yep. If weather is an issue, you are more likely to skip it than dock front-side in.

Makes sense! But I wonder how often they do the lifeboats drill - since nothing ever seems to happen that they need to use them !

Thank God for that, by the way!

Yep. If weather is an issue, you are more likely to skip it than dock front-side in.

I hope that the Captain (or whoever is in charge of itinerary) can maybe switch a sea day for a CC day if that were to occur :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter