• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I say again how much I HATE park reservations!

We are all so different - I wouldn’t purchase tickets without a hopper! I would not want to be stuck in a crowded park looking at walk on wait times in another one. Time is money, especially on vacation (IMHO)
I think I had PH once or twice before (but usually not as I'm more of a leisurely park person ... well ... I like to think that I am but looking back, I'm probably more commando). But typically I skip it (especially when I took the kids - just would've eaten up too much time trying to get from one park to another - or so I expected because I typically relied on Disney Transportation and went before buses went park to park). All of that said, I went in May for a one-day random trip and I sprung for the PH (and dealt with making, and cancelling/changing park reservations a ton that morning, all on the fly) to try to make the most of my day (vs. adding a second day ticket). And I hit all four parks (from 2p-midnight). And that was a ball - I was beyond exhausted the next day but yeah, a good memory!

I think I had PH once or twice before (but usually not as I'm more of a leisurely park person ... well ... I like to think that I am but looking back, I'm probably more commando). But typically I skip it (especially when I took the kids - just would've eaten up too much time trying to get from one park to another - or so I expected because I typically relied on Disney Transportation and went before buses went park to park). All of that said, I went in May for a one-day random trip and I sprung for the PH (and dealt with making, and cancelling/changing park reservations a ton that morning, all on the fly) to try to make the most of my day (vs. adding a second day ticket). And I hit all four parks (from 2p-midnight). And that was a ball - I was beyond exhausted the next day but yeah, a good memory!
That sounds super fun!

The irony of my love of PH is that we don’t park hop that much - I would say less than half of our trip 😂

That sounds super fun!

The irony of my love of PH is that we don’t park hop that much - I would say less than half of our trip 😂
Whatever works for folks, right? I like giving out suggestion/recommendations but only with the caveat that we each do WDW differently and have our own styles/tastes. But I definitely understand that having the freedom would be awesome. I think that if my kids would've gotten up earlier/could go longer, PH could've had its advantages. I wanted the like: RD (ish), midday break (youngest still naps some), go to a park idea (and often the "new park" would be cool then). That said, we didn't ever really start until 2, sadly, lol.

Whatever works for folks, right? I like giving out suggestion/recommendations but only with the caveat that we each do WDW differently and have our own styles/tastes. But I definitely understand that having the freedom would be awesome. I think that if my kids would've gotten up earlier/could go longer, PH could've had its advantages. I wanted the like: RD (ish), midday break (youngest still naps some), go to a park idea (and often the "new park" would be cool then). That said, we didn't ever really start until 2, sadly, lol.
That is a perfect description of how we hit the parks! My littlest is up at the crack of dawn’s crack, so I grab coffees for the grownups (when coffee becomes available, usually more than an hour later!), make or grab breakfast for everyone, then we head out. We head back around lunch-ish or mid-afternoon and maybe hit another park later, maybe not.

We have a 13y old who loves to head back with an adult once the littles are in bed - which is well earned as they are the best older sibling ever!

It is great that you don’t get to the parks until a time that is convenient and pleasant for you and your family - that’s what vacation is all about 💞

So, just one person's anecdotal evidence...

This thread has me thinking of how our behavior has changed in regards to our DVC points since the COVID shutdown and then all the subsequent changes. As I was reading this, I was thinking back to how we had used our points since everything reopened in the Summer of 2020 (and we have a good number of points). So here is what we have done and have reserved:

Summer 2020 - 7 day stay in 2 Bdrm at VB to burn points (we were all doing that). It was a great trip!
New Year's 2020/21 - 7 night stay in 2 Bdrm at HHI
March 2021 - 7 night stay in 2 Bdrm at Aulani
September 2021 - 3 night stay in studio at BLT for Boo Bash (which was the only ticket we bought)
May 2022 - 7 night stay in 2 Bdrm at Aulani
July 2022 - 4 night stay in Studio at VGF1 (we actually didn't stay there, but DD and some of her friends did a non-park stay)
September 2022 - 3 night stay in BLT studio for MNSSHP (only ticket we have bought)

We plan on going back to Aulani again next summer (if available at 7 months)

So, this really struck me. Prior to COVID, we would visit WDW at least twice, if not 3-4 times a year, and always used the AP with DVC discount. With no AP, as well as all of the other things mentioned above, it's just not as appealing to go when we could go to Aulani instead. It's really a number of things. We are "go with the flow" people that would often play "bus roulette" for our first park (take which one comes first), spend time at the resort, then go somewhere at night based on where we may have dinner reservations. And we NEVER are up early. Seriously. I have been more times that I could ever tell you to WDW and I have never been to rope drop. That said, we have closed it down numerous times, especially when EMH used to go to 3am (ah, the good ole days). As such, the having to get up at 7am to make everything work just isn't in our DNA. All of this to say that I hadn't really considered any of these changes personally until I was reading this thread and then thinking about our last couple of years, and yeah, we have definitely adjusted our behavior...

That said, it's just change, and what doesn't work necessarily for us could be great for someone else. This anecdote was just our personal experience.

I’ve just returned home from our first WDW stay since covid. I absolutely hate park reservations. We had a 17 night stay, later in the trip sleep ins became more desirable. One night we booked a dessert party at MK but had a park res for AK. We all woke up and really didn’t want to go to AK.. our legs were tired by the end of the trip and the heat definitely takes it’s toll. But MK was full so we had to check in to our res before hopping… what a joke. They need to find a better way.
We are traveling with friends at Christmas, the confusion trying to explain to them that they need to book a place in a theme park when they have already bought dated tickets! Wha..

I’ve just returned home from our first WDW stay since covid. I absolutely hate park reservations. We had a 17 night stay, later in the trip sleep ins became more desirable. One night we booked a dessert party at MK but had a park res for AK. We all woke up and really didn’t want to go to AK.. our legs were tired by the end of the trip and the heat definitely takes it’s toll. But MK was full so we had to check in to our res before hopping… what a joke. They need to find a better way.
We are traveling with friends at Christmas, the confusion trying to explain to them that they need to book a place in a theme park when they have already bought dated tickets! Wha..

I think situations like this prove it has nothing to do with attendance or capacity. There's 0 reason they can't just add to the buckets of availability at say 2pm if they notice it's a light day.

as far as I know they have only disallowed park hopping once, and that was to MK on 10/1/2021 and only for a couple of hours. If they're planning to disallow park hopping more, they would have done it by now? Or are they waiting for the demand to drop in order to try operating with even less staff?

as a BCV owner, have started booking Epcot most days I am thinking of hopping because it's easy to run over there and tap in.

just came back . The park reservations would be helpful if they were still using them to keep parks safe and not so packed. They are NOT. OMG, we looked at the ap for epcot rides and there was not one wait time under an hour, LOL> in this heat and humidity.? Nope. We just had a staycation at our resort, we live here so I knew it would be bad, ( covid rates are NUTS in fl. right now, so stay safe.) and we took bus to magic kingdom with masks, got off and onto monorail to one of the resorts to watch fireworks, had a snack, took mono to bus, and bus back to resort. it was great.

And this is with park reservations being often sold out. Imagine how bad it would be if they were unlimited like so many people claim to want. I'd love to see the reservations actually sell out earlier and allow for fewer people (yes, I'd be willing to pay more for that). The crowds are too much for me!

And this is with park reservations being often sold out. Imagine how bad it would be if they were unlimited like so many people claim to want. I'd love to see the reservations actually sell out earlier and allow for fewer people (yes, I'd be willing to pay more for that). The crowds are too much for me!

More people wouldn't just all of a sudden show up, it would be reshuffling the existing crowd.

What you'd get is an effect where mk is always the most crowded park and the crowds disperse amongst traditional crowd patterns for the other 3.

If anything it would make it more tolerable for your veteran visitor.

It may also make genie more functional.

Disney Parks' data gathering and parsing was world class long before park reservations ever became a thing. Despite the hell given to 'Disney IT' (myself included at times) for their forward facing systems (not maintained domestically for the most part, BTW), the backend stuff is renowned in the IT world for being some of the best designs and working systems in the world, despite what some here may choose to believe.

All of that to say this. Disney does NOT need the park reservation system to gauge staffing needs in the parks. I'm not really sure I remember if that angle originated on the boards, or as a 'by the way' comment from some Disney propaganda along the way, but it is nowhere near essential or necessary to predictive park staffing.

Disney Parks' data parsing can tell you when a purple polka-dotted magic band is going to go thru the 2nd turnstile at Epcot International Gateway after 11:07 within seconds. They know exactly how many people they need for the Magic Carpets of Aladdin at 3:04pm as well. And at 8:00am also. It's that good. I'm not exaggerating. Please consider stopping the pass we are giving them on the necessity of 'park reservations' for staffing predictions. It is totally and utterly ridiculous.
I’ll buy what you’re saying. Then the question becomes what is their real motivation? To limit AP holders’ attendance? Something else?

We are all so different - I wouldn’t purchase tickets without a hopper! I would not want to be stuck in a crowded park looking at walk on wait times in another one. Time is money, especially on vacation (IMHO)
I became spoiled for park hopping when it was included in the ticket and the tickets never expired (yes, I'm a senior now). When the kids were little, our pattern was to do whatever they wanted all day, and then off to Epcot around 6 for dinner/walk around/do a few attractions. Since that time I can't imagine being there without park hopper. I have been there when a park was unbearable and had to leave during my son's march break from school. I was so glad I had park hopping that day.

I agree, at least if you could only go if you make it, to the reserved park up until 2pm, then you are free to go where ever after 2 even if you didn’t go to your reserved park. Sometimes you just want to stay at your resort until later in the day but you are forced get to your reserved park if you want to go elsewhere later in the day. Not sure what sense it makes. I believe we pay extra for PARK HOPPER tickets For the ability to do just that, PARK HOP.

Last edited:
Since mine are all screwed up because of their system, I hate them too. Called and tried to get them fixed and they don’t know what’s wrong.

I agree, at least if you could only go if you make it, to the reserved park up until 2pm, then you are free to go where ever after 2 even if you didn’t go to your reserved park. Sometimes you just want to stay at your resort until later in the day but you are forced get to your reserved park if you want to go elsewhere later in the day. Not sure what sense it makes. I believe we pay extra for PARK HOPPER tickets For the ability to do just that, PARK HOP.

I do understand why they make you tap into a park to hop because technically, those without hoppers would simply make a reservation, and go to whatever park they wanted, even if it was full that day.

But, there should be a way for the CM's at the parks to use their little Ipads...to electronically tap you into park one, so you don't have to physically go there.

I do understand why they make you tap into a park to hop because technically, those without hoppers would simply make a reservation, and go to whatever park they wanted, even if it was full that day.

But, there should be a way for the CM's at the parks to use their little Ipads...to electronically tap you into park one, so you don't have to physically go there.
They can and they have to if the park you were supposed to enter first is already closed. They treat it like it's an act of congress to do it though and like you just killed Mickey with a mousetrap. Don't ask how we know, but we do.

This is such a depressing thread, because I hate it too.

We went to DisneyWorld in ‘97, skipped ‘98, and have gone once or twice a year since. (Purchased BWV in 2001.) We had a NO Disney parks trip planned for March 2020, because I wanted ONE trip that was relaxing and didn’t involve any real planning. Well, that trip didn’t happen at all.

We took our 9 yr old granddaughter in October ‘20 (best trip ever, with low crowds, except for coming home with Covid), March ‘21 and October ‘21 (with my daughter‘s whole family). My daughter did the planning on those trips. Each trip got more stressful as crowds grew, and they added genie+ and LL. Plus, we had let our APs expire before March ‘20, and buying whatever tickets we got for these last few trips was a huge expense. We use to get 3 trips out of our APs…later in October, March, then early October. I don’t even know what’s going on with APs now.

I still wanted to relax on a trip, so we skipped Disney altogether this past March, for the first time ever on an Orlando trip, and took our granddaughter to SeaWorld (stayed near Disney Springs) and Universal (Portofino, so express pass). SO much easier than doing DisneyWorld (except I slipped on the ice in the driveway at 3:30 AM going to the airport, and found out IN Orlando I had broken my leg, but that’s another story.)

I just hate the thought of dealing with the stress of a Disney trip at this point. I’m too old for this, and it’s just not fun. It’s hard to have gone for 25 years, be familiar with the good ‘ol days, and then do THIS. Of course things change, but added stress isn’t working for ME. (Did I mention I’m old?) Jumping in at this point and figuring it all out, while planning and then while there, is a huge turnoff. I guess newer guests will jump right in and expect that this is just the way it is. Everyone’s replaceable.

So this October, we’re staying at BWV, but doing a day at SeaWorld (tickets from March still valid), and no Disney parks. We might do MNSSHP. Then we’re moving to Portofino and doing Universal.

We‘ll have to figure out where we go from here with our DVC.

Sorry. Long vent.

Just need to vent & say again how much I HATE park reservations! Attended MK Extended Hours Wed & didn't get in until 2:00am.

Next day we had Epcot reservations & wasn't feeling well at all & with the heat we decided to skip it and then head over to HS for Moonlight Magic around 4:00 for our dinner reservation.

I knew our MB would flag us at entrance so told a "plaid" our situation. I don't think I've ever been talked to the way I was talked to. She scolded me like I was a child stating the park hopping rules back to me & that they would ONLY make this one time exception for us.

I could understand a little more if I were trying to get in before 2:00pm but this was after park hopping was allowed.
Park Reservations only serve Disney not the guest.
I will end on a positive note. Moonlight Magic was awesome after the storm cleared out at 7pm. DVC did do a great job & highly recommend.
Can’t agree any more. WDW too many changes for the bad l

They can and they have to if the park you were supposed to enter first is already closed. They treat it like it's an act of congress to do it though and like you just killed Mickey with a mousetrap. Don't ask how we know, but we do.
EXACTLY! Plaid tried to make me feel like trash. I'm still salty over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter