• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I swap out for bringing beer onboard?

lscrivan18

Mouseketeer
I'd like to bring onboard in place of the 6 pack of beer, a 6 pack of spiked seltzers. Can I do this? Also, do the cans have to be in the box or can I take them out of the box for my carry-on?

I can answer that with beer cans, you can take them out of the box. I don't know about the spiked seltzers.

Technically there are no substitutions - just the designated beer or wine. Whether anyone checks closely is always the question. If you get a security person strict with the rules you will need to dump them (or return to your car).

The official Disney Cruise policy permits passengers 21 and older to bring 6 cans of beer (of up to 12 ounces each) or 2 bottles of wine or champaigne (of up to 750 ml each) onboard at each port.

There's nothing saying the beers must be in a box or that all 6 beers must be the same.

There is also nothing saying that spiked seltzers are or are not permitted.

There is also nothing saying that spiked seltzers are or are not permitted.
True, but by specifically listing which alcohol is allowed (beer and wine), the implication is that other types of alcohol (including spiked seltzer) is not. As PP said, YMMV in trying to bring it on; it depends how closely they are looking at it. I've heard some ports are also stricter than others.

Honestly, I think DCL needs to revisit that policy. It was likely written before spiked seltzers became a thing a few years ago. Given their low(er) alcohol content, I imagine DCL might let them on. If that is the case (which is my assumption), it would be nice if they would update the policy.

True, but by specifically listing which alcohol is allowed (beer and wine), the implication is that other types of alcohol (including spiked seltzer) is not. As PP said, YMMV in trying to bring it on; it depends how closely they are looking at it. I've heard some ports are also stricter than others.

Honestly, I think DCL needs to revisit that policy. It was likely written before spiked seltzers became a thing a few years ago. Given their low(er) alcohol content, I imagine DCL might let them on. If that is the case (which is my assumption), it would be nice if they would update the policy.
Do you know which ports are the stricter ones?

This is likely one of the top 10 Disboards hot-for-debate topics! The screening process (in my experience at three different ports including Canada) is not specifically related to alcohol...you put your bags on the belt toward the x-ray machine. Like the airport, the connection between each bag and each passenger is lost as people pass through the metal detector....the screeners are looking for all kinds of prohibited items including weapons.

In my experience, this results in, for example, one bag having four bottles of wine because it is being shared between two cabins...etc...(I travel with my extended family, four cabins)
The wine/beer bottles appears on the x-ray display for the screener to interpret. What exactly is contained in the bottles isn't visible on the screen.

So, what happens to that information? I've never had a bag opened or the contents questions - even when one bag's contents exceeded the limits (we were ready to explain - not needed). If you brought a handle of vodka inside your bag - would that be flagged? It makes sense it may because the bottle shape is not like wine or beer...

Your experience may vary but I wanted to describe my experience with the screening process.

One last comment: my understanding is that any item which cannot be brought on board can be held by DCL until the end of the cruise (rather than dump out as a previous poster described).

Good luck!

One last comment: my understanding is that any item which cannot be brought on board can be held by DCL until the end of the cruise (rather than dump out as a previous poster described).

Good luck!
That is not true with confiscated alcohol. The DCL policy clearly states any prohibited alcohol/alcohol over the allowable limit will be discarded and no compensation will be offered. (Obviously this is different than liquor purchased in ports; that will be stored by DCL and can be picked up when disembarking).

Other prohibited/confiscated items yes, DCL will store and you can retrieve when you leave the ship. Alcohol is different (and the policy clearly states it will be discarded).

We did a 3-day on the Wish in January and a 3-day on the Wish in March. Took White Claw on both cruises. No issues in January. Got confiscated in March. Just depends on who you get. I’m wondering if they were more strict in March because of spring break.

While true of pretty much any other confiscated item, the DCL alcohol policy is clear that alcohol confiscated at embarkation is discarded with no compensation. I assume this is probably a measure to prevent the idea of "just give it a try, the worst that can happen is they hold it until post-cruise." Alcohol purchased at ports of call will be held for guests to collect at the end of the cruise.

Do you know which ports are the stricter ones?
It really seems to depend on the security agent, moreso than the embarkation port.

I chatted with DCL on the site and she reiterated what was on the website. I guess it will come down to how the agent is feeling. I did ask her if she could pass the message along to management to review the alcohol policy due to many options on the market not being available when the policy was created.

We brought on seltzer. The only place I had anyone look at my cans or bottles is in Canada. The worst thing that can happen is they take it way and your out 10 bucks. You can always buy beer at the next stop.

That is not true with confiscated alcohol. The DCL policy clearly states any prohibited alcohol/alcohol over the allowable limit will be discarded and no compensation will be offered. (Obviously this is different than liquor purchased in ports; that will be stored by DCL and can be picked up when disembarking).

Other prohibited/confiscated items yes, DCL will store and you can retrieve when you leave the ship. Alcohol is different (and the policy clearly states it will be discarded).
apologies for the error

Unless its changed as longs as its malted like Mikes instead of true spiked with Vodka then you should be fine.

If you bring one that is made with Vodka I suspect they dont allow it.

We had our bags checked in Vancouver when we were boarding. They wanted to see that the bottles of wine were sealed.

We have never had our bags checked on our cruises out of PC, Galveston or News Orleans.

We had two cruises (2 days apart) and mistakeningly bought a bottle of rum on the first cruise. We thought they would just hold it on the second cruise. Nope. The security person told us we could return it to our car (we didn’t have one) or go back out and drink it before we boarded (it was 750mL so that wasn’t happening). We did ask if we could gift it to one of them. They said that it would just get confiscated but assured us that they bottle would not just be dumped out 😉. It was a really nice bottle of Jamaican rum! We have never done two cruises on one trip - we learned our lesson the tough way.

Unfortunately, this is a topic that there really isn't a good answer to. I've heard of people bringing malt type "beer" and sometimes it's fine other times it gets confiscated. White claw, mikes, and other spiked beverages in a can really are a grey area in the policy and it just depends on who you get checking you in.

This is why I opt to do a bottle or wine or something instead. I'd prefer mikes but I don't want to worry about it getting confiscated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter